DNYUZ
No Result
View All Result
DNYUZ
No Result
View All Result
DNYUZ
Home News

MV Hondius hantavirus cases rise to 7 as cruise passengers remain trapped off Cape Verde: WHO

May 5, 2026
in News
MV Hondius hantavirus cases rise to 7 as cruise passengers remain trapped off Cape Verde: WHO

The total number of cases in a suspected hantavirus outbreak aboard the luxury MV Hondius cruise ship has risen to seven — as roughly 150 passengers have been ordered to stay put in West African waters, according to authorities.

As of Monday, seven cases, including two laboratory-confirmed cases and five suspected cases, have been identified in the suspected outbreak of the rare, rodent-borne illness on the Dutch cruise liner, according to the World Health Organization.

Aerial view of the cruise ship MV Hondius stationary off the port of Praia, Cape Verde.
The total number of cases in a suspected hantavirus outbreak aboard the luxury MV Hondius cruise ship has risen to seven. AFP via Getty Images

The cases include three passengers who died, one critically ill patient, and three people reporting mild symptoms, WHO said.

The passengers reported illness onset between April 6 and 28 and experienced symptoms including fever, gastrointestinal symptoms, rapid progression to pneumonia, acute respiratory distress syndrome, and shock, officials added.

“Detailed investigations are ongoing, including further laboratory testing, and epidemiological investigations,” WHO said. “Medical care and support are being provided to passengers and crew.”

The doomed vessel, which is carrying 17 Americans, was on a weeks-long polar cruise from Argentina to Antarctica when trouble boarded early last month.

The fatalities include a 70-year-old Dutch man who died on April 11 after developing a fever, headache, abdominal pain, and diarrhea.

Frannie Twohig preparing inactivated material samples for hantavirus research.
Cape Verde has sent in a medical team of two doctors, a nurse, and a laboratory specialist over three trips to provide care on the ship while it remains in open waters close to shore. AP

His 69-year-old wife died weeks later as his body was being transferred to South Africa. Her blood later tested positive for hantavirus, officials said.

A third passenger, identified as a German national, died on the ship on Saturday, where his body remains, according to Oceanwide Expeditions.

A British man was also evacuated to South Africa on April 27 and tested positive for the virus. He is now in critical condition and isolated in intensive care, health officials added.

Officials are attempting to coordinate the evacuation of two ill crew members — one British and one Dutch — who require urgent medical care and have begun presenting respiratory symptoms.

Dr. Ann Lindstrand, a WHO official in Cape Verde, told the Associated Press that there is an additional possible case of someone with fever symptoms. Health officials are still assessing the individual.

Cape Verde’s Health Ministry ordered that, for now, the luxury cruise cannot dock and must stay in open waters close to shore over health concerns.

The West African country, meanwhile, has sent in a medical team of two doctors, a nurse, and a laboratory specialist over three trips to provide care on the ship, Lindstrand said.

“It’s been very tricky for Cape Verdean authorities,” Lindstrand said. “What they have to deal with is a public health event. And of course, they have been thinking about the protection of the population here.”

The harrowing ordeal has effectively trapped the 88 remaining passengers and 59 crew members onboard — who have been urged to practice “maximal physical distancing” and stay in their cabins as much as possible.

MV Hondius cruise ship anchored at a port in Praia, Cape Verde.
Passengers have been urged to practice “maximal physical distancing” and stay in their cabins as much as possible. AP

Jake Rosmarin, a travel influencer from Boston on board the ship, broke down sobbing over “very real” fears of a major outbreakafter the cruise was refused permission to dock.

“I am currently on board the MV Hondius. What’s happening right now is very real for all of us here,” he shared a tearful video on Monday.

The virus spreads mostly by inhaling airborne particles from infected rodent droppings, saliva, or blood.

However, a rare form of the virus — seen only in the Andes Mountains of Argentina and Chile — could spread from human to human.

Investigators are now rushing to probe what is causing the infections — and whether the other passengers and crew members are at risk.

Health officials have urged people not to panic, as the WHO coordinates a multicountry response to contain further spread of the potentially deadly disease.

“While severe in some cases, it is not easily transmitted between people,” Dr. Hans Henri P. Kluge, WHO regional director for Europe, said in a statement Monday. “The risk to the wider public remains low. There is no need for panic or travel restrictions.”

Hantavirus has no specific cure, and treatment focuses on supportive care, including ventilators for severe cases. Early medical intervention can increase the chances of survival.

With Post wires

The post MV Hondius hantavirus cases rise to 7 as cruise passengers remain trapped off Cape Verde: WHO appeared first on New York Post.

What to Know About Harry and Meghan’s Return to Britain
News

What to Know About Harry and Meghan’s Return to Britain

by New York Times
August 20, 2026

Prince Harry and his wife, Meghan, left Britain six years ago in a break with the royal family that opened ...

Read more
News

State Dept. Declares U.S. Citizen in China Wrongfully Detained

August 20, 2026
News

OpenAI Halts AI Training on Advanced Model as It Detects Dark Signs Emerging

August 20, 2026
News

Could Iran try a midterms October surprise?

August 20, 2026
News

A Few Expert Lawyers Dominate Supreme Court Arguments, a New Study Finds

August 20, 2026
Darline Graham fumbles again over $500K donation from politically toxic group

Darline Graham fumbles again over $500K donation from politically toxic group

August 20, 2026
Canada and U.S. Resume Talks Over Trump Tariffs as a New Deadline Looms

Canada and U.S. Resume Talks Over Trump Tariffs as a New Deadline Looms

August 20, 2026
I left my job and became a housewife. Doing an internship at 31 helped me pivot to a new industry 7 years later.

I left my job and became a housewife. Doing an internship at 31 helped me pivot to a new industry 7 years later.

August 20, 2026

DNYUZ © 2026

No Result
View All Result

DNYUZ © 2026