DNYUZ
No Result
View All Result
DNYUZ
No Result
View All Result
DNYUZ
Home News

Supreme Court is urged to block Trump’s huge new ballroom so Congress can decide

August 18, 2026
in News
Trump asks Supreme Court to let White House resume ballroom construction during appeal

WASHINGTON  — The Supreme Court was urged Tuesday to block construction of President Trump’s huge new ballroom until Congress weighs in. A decision, perhaps only temporary, is likely by Friday.

Acting on his own, Trump had the East Wing of the White House torn down in October and ordered work to start on a massive new building that would dwarf the old executive mansion and seat 1,000 guests for dinner.

But a federal judge in Washington ruled that Trump had overstepped his authority, and the U.S. Court of Appeals agreed in a 2-1 ruling on Aug. 7.

Those judges would stop the above-ground construction but put their decision on hold until this Friday. This gave the administration time to appeal to the Supreme Court.

The National Trust for Historic Preservation had sued, arguing that the president has no authority to erect new buildings on government property.

Federal law protects “historic buildings, parks, and places, including perhaps the most revered site in our nation: the White House and President’s Park,” the group told the court Tuesday. It is “more than the President’s residence” and “is owned by American people.”

The historic trust said Trump is moving quickly so as to bypass the law.

“Rather than obtain permission from Congress,” Trump and his appointees “have instead decided to try to outrun judicial review,” it said.

Meanwhile, Trump’s lawyers have taken to describing the ballroom as a national security project.

Last week, Solicitor Gen. D. John Sauer told the justices they should throw out the “extraordinary and unlawful injunction that will halt the ongoing construction of the integrated military complex” because “a totally secure ballroom space … is vitally required by national security.”

He also contended it is too late for judges to intervene.

“Today, the project is 65% complete in its entirety, and moving quickly toward total completion. A concrete-and-steel superstructure stretches five stories deep and 70 feet high, and occupies nearly 50,000 square feet, with construction on and above the second-story level above ground.”

While the plans have changed, the “work has followed a single coherent design,” he wrote. “By now, it has passed the point where major changes to [that] design are feasible.”

U.S. District Judge Richard Leon, a George W. Bush appointee who ruled on the lawsuits, agreed the White House may proceed with the underground work to create a safe and secure location for the president, his family and White House employees.

The solicitor general said a new and secure ballroom is also crucial for social gatherings and foreign dignitaries.

He said that if Leon’s ruling is “allowed to go into effect, the injunction would wrongfully install a single district judge as sole arbiter of what further construction is strictly necessary to protect the safety of the President, his family, staff members, and visitors to the White House, including foreign dignitaries, and presidents and prime ministers of other countries.”

Sauer also argued the lawsuit should be thrown out on the grounds that National Trust for Historic Preservation and its members have no standing to sue because they have not suffered a particular injury.

The D.C. Circuit judges split on that issue. Judges Patricia Millett, an Obama appointee, and Bradley Garcia, a Biden appointee, ruled the plaintiffs had standing to sue. Judge Neomi Rao, a Trump appointee, dissented and said the members of the historic trust did not have standing.

The post Supreme Court is urged to block Trump’s huge new ballroom so Congress can decide appeared first on Los Angeles Times.

Trump playing ‘dangerous game of chicken’ after envoys halt negotiations: CNN
News

Trump playing ‘dangerous game of chicken’ after envoys halt negotiations: CNN

by Raw Story
August 18, 2026

President Donald Trump told his administration’s envoys to stop talks with Iran on Tuesday, CNN reported. CNN anchor Jake Tapper ...

Read more
News

The fake L.A. mayor poll adds to challenges facing the public opinion industry

August 18, 2026
News

Keke Palmer says Queen Latifah helped her realize the value of a strong professional reputation

August 18, 2026
News

Trump’s latest assault on public lands

August 18, 2026
News

Expert names ‘mafia state’ tactics at the heart of senator’s ‘disturbing’ vanishing act

August 18, 2026
ZZ Top honors late drummer Frank Beard in heartbreaking tribute

ZZ Top honors late drummer Frank Beard in heartbreaking tribute

August 18, 2026
Last-minute state legislation could help Stan Kroenke-backed San Diego arena, prompting outcry

Last-minute state legislation could help Stan Kroenke-backed San Diego arena, prompting outcry

August 18, 2026
Scott Jennings’ tirade defending Trump’s close ties to aide backfires immediately

Scott Jennings’ tirade defending Trump’s close ties to aide backfires immediately

August 18, 2026

DNYUZ © 2026

No Result
View All Result

DNYUZ © 2026