DNYUZ
No Result
View All Result
DNYUZ
No Result
View All Result
DNYUZ
Home News

Journalist Detained in Kuwait Says He Was Stripped of Citizenship

April 30, 2026
in News
Journalist Detained in Kuwait Says He Was Stripped of Citizenship

A prominent Kuwaiti-American journalist said on Wednesday that his citizenship had been revoked by Kuwait, where he was detained for several weeks on vague charges related to national security. He was arrested after posting on social media about the Iran war.

The case of the journalist, Ahmed Shihab-Eldin, has highlighted a crackdown on speech and social media usage in the authoritarian Persian Gulf countries since the war began in late February.

Mr. Shihab-Eldin, who has contributed to the BBC and Al Jazeera English and had also worked for The New York Times, was released from detention last week after being partially acquitted of the charges he faced, and he has since left Kuwait, according to his international legal team.

On Wednesday night, Mr. Shihab-Eldin said that the Kuwaiti government had stripped him and his sisters of their citizenship, according to a statement shared by his international lawyers.

The Kuwaiti government does not appear to have addressed his case publicly. The Kuwaiti Embassy in Washington and an official at Kuwait’s Ministry of Information did not immediately respond to requests for comment.

Tens of thousands of Kuwaitis have lost their citizenship over the past two years as the government carries out a sweeping, exclusionary campaign to redefine what it means to be Kuwaiti.

“The past seven weeks have been a harrowing ordeal — one that has only strengthened my resolve in the face of injustice,” Mr. Shihab-Eldin said in the statement. “For now, I am focusing on recovery. In time, I will speak about what I endured.”

Mr. Shihab-Eldin was born in the United States to parents of Palestinian descent. His mother, like many Palestinians displaced after the creation of Israel, eventually settled in Kuwait, he has said.

Mr. Shihab-Eldin has produced documentaries on sensitive human rights topics in the Middle East. He was detained in early March while visiting Kuwait and charged with spreading false information, harming national security and misusing his mobile phone, according to his international legal team.

He was arrested after making comments online about the Iran war and sharing a video showing a U.S. fighter jet that had crashed near an air base in Kuwait, the Committee to Protect Journalists said. The jet was one of three that the U.S. military said were mistakenly shot down by Kuwaiti air defenses. Mr. Shihab-Eldin’s detention was condemned by international rights groups.

“Stripping Shihab-Eldin of his citizenship is not just punitive, it is a dangerous escalation in the use of state power to crush press freedom,” Jodie Ginsberg, the chief executive of the Committee to Project Journalists, said in a statement. “Weaponizing nationality to punish reporting sets a chilling precedent for every journalist in Kuwait and the Gulf.”

Since the war began, the authorities in the United Arab Emirates and Qatar have arrested hundreds of people for “spreading rumors” or sharing footage of Iranian strikes in their countries, according to official news agencies. In the Emirates and Bahrain, some people have been charged with “glorifying” Iranian attacks.

Analysts say that while the arrests were partly motivated by national security concerns, Gulf officials also fear that imagery and commentary on the attacks could damage their countries’ images as safe havens in a turbulent region.

In March, the Emirati authorities arrested a videographer for an international news outlet, accusing him of filming in “restricted areas without obtaining the necessary official permits.”

And this month, Bahrain moved to strip dozens of citizens of their nationality, accusing them of betraying their country and threatening national security.

A preliminary verdict issued last week in Mr. Shihab-Eldin’s case acquitted him of spreading false information and “refrained from pronouncing punishment” on the other two charges, his legal team said.

“I am free — but many remain behind bars in Kuwait and across the region for speaking the truth,” Mr. Shihab-Eldin said in his statement. “I will continue to use my voice to demand justice and accountability for all.”

Vivian Nereim is the lead reporter for The Times covering the countries of the Arabian Peninsula. She is based in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia.

The post Journalist Detained in Kuwait Says He Was Stripped of Citizenship appeared first on New York Times.

Harry and Meghan See Their California Dreams — and Riches — Fade Away
News

Harry and Meghan See Their California Dreams, and Riches, Fade Away

by New York Times
August 22, 2026

It began with such high hopes. The Duke and Duchess of Sussex landed in Hollywood in 2020, flush with a ...

Read more
News

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle’s big move from the US destined to stoke ‘grisly’ family drama: sources

August 22, 2026
News

‘Strange smell’: Woman poops on airplane seat with toilet just feet away

August 22, 2026
News

These 5 People Spent Decades Behind Bars. Here Are Their Stories.

August 22, 2026
News

I helped turn a California bank into one of America’s fastest-growing. Now I’m building a company to serve the people that banking has failed

August 22, 2026
Some States Banned the Use of Food Stamps to Buy Soda. Did It Work?

Some States Banned the Use of Food Stamps to Buy Soda. Did It Work?

August 22, 2026
Frank Smith, Who Served 70 Years for Murder, Dies at 101

Frank Smith, Who Served 70 Years for Murder, Dies at 101

August 22, 2026
‘The Five Heartbeats’ star Michael Wright dead at 70 after suffering heart failure

‘The Five Heartbeats’ star Michael Wright dead at 70 after suffering heart failure

August 22, 2026

DNYUZ © 2026

No Result
View All Result

DNYUZ © 2026