DNYUZ
No Result
View All Result
DNYUZ
No Result
View All Result
DNYUZ
Home News

Iryna Zarutska’s family files wrongful death lawsuit alleging no security guard was on train

August 22, 2026
in News
Iryna Zarutska’s family files wrongful death lawsuit alleging no security guard was on train

The family of Iryna Zarutska is suing the city of Charlotte, North Carolina, and its private transit security contractor one year after her murder shocked the nation.

The suit alleges “systemic failures” left the city’s light-rail system dangerously vulnerable.

“This case arises from the preventable death of Iryna Zarutska,” the wrongful-death complaint filed against the City of Charlotte and Professional Police Services Inc., doing business as Professional Security Services, or PSS states. The allegations have not been adjudicated.

“What it shows is the systemic failures that have been within the CATS system for years that the city has been aware of,” Lauren Newton, an attorney representing Zarutska’s family and estate, previously told WBTV.

The lawsuit alleges no security guard was aboard the Lynx Blue Line train when Zarutska was fatally stabbed Aug. 22, 2025, and accuses PSS of failing to adequately staff and deploy armed and unarmed personnel.

Charlotte’s amended contract with PSS provided funding for 219 security personnel for fiscal years 2025 and 2026, according to the complaint, which alleges PSS had hired 183 at the time of Zarutska’s killing. 

Iryna Zarutska stares at her alleged killer Decarlos Brown Jr. after she was stabbed aboard the Charlotte Area Transit System on Aug. 22, 2025.
Iryna Zarutska stares at her alleged killer, Decarlos Brown Jr. after she was stabbed aboard the Charlotte Area Transit System on Aug. 22, 2025.
Iryna Zarutska's mother, Anna Zarutska, cries as she is recognized by President Donald Trump during the State of the Union on Feb. 24, 2026.
Iryna Zarutska’s mother, Anna Zarutska, cries as she is recognized by President Donald Trump during the State of the Union on Feb. 24, 2026. AP

The lawsuit further alleges PSS had only 11 armed guards despite the contract providing for up to 39 armed personnel.

“They weren’t fully staffed,” Newton told WBTV. “If there had been a security guard on that train, Iryna Zarutska would be here.”

Her assertion that a guard would have prevented Zarutska’s death has not been established in court.


Follow the latest on the shocking murder of Ukrainian refugee Iryna Zarutska in Charlotte:

  • Madman accused of slaughtering Iryna Zarutska on Charlotte train raves at judge as he’s ruled not fit for trial — a second time
  • Trump admin vows Iryna Zarutska’s accused killer will face justice after he’s found mentally incompetent to stand trial
  • Mayor calls mural of Ukrainian refugee ‘divisive’ after train stabbing death
  • Murdered Ukrainian refugee’s mom breaks down during SOTU as Trump rips Dems: ‘How do you not stand?’

The complaint also takes aim at fare enforcement, alleging Zarutska’s accused killer, Decarlos Brown Jr.,rode CATS transportation without paying before the attack.

It alleges there were no physical barriers preventing non-ticketed riders from accessing the light rail.

“There’s been literally no fare enforcement and those things, at a basic level, are what’s necessary for safety. And there’s been none of that,” Newton told WBTV.

Decarlos Brown Jr. was charged in the killing of Iryna Zarutska but was declared unfit to stand trial.
Decarlos Brown Jr. was charged in the killing of Iryna Zarutska but was declared unfit to stand trial.
The lawsuit alleges no security guard was aboard the Lynx Blue Line train when Zarutska was fatally stabbed Aug. 22, 2025
The lawsuit alleges no security guard was aboard the Lynx Blue Line train when Zarutska was fatally stabbed Aug. 22, 2025 Instagram/ Iryna Zarutska

The lawsuit alleges Charlotte and PSS knew or should have known about the Blue Line and its stops had repeatedly been the site of criminal activity before Zarutska’s death. 

“Violent crime was absolutely foreseeable,” Newton told WBTV.

The estate brings claims including wrongful death based on allegedly negligent and inadequate security and gross negligence.

It seeks damages exceeding $25,000 and punitive damages against PSS, but not against Charlotte.

“The family doesn’t want this to happen to anyone else’s loved one,” Newton previously told WBTV.

Fox News Digital separately reached out to PSS and Newton for comment but did not receive immediate responses.

The City of Charlotte informed Fox News Digital it does not provide comment on active litigation.

The post Iryna Zarutska’s family files wrongful death lawsuit alleging no security guard was on train appeared first on New York Post.

Md. school district updates gender policy after Trump administration threat
News

Md. school district updates gender policy after Trump administration threat

by Washington Post
August 22, 2026

A Maryland school district has updated its gender identity policy that a lawsuit and the Trump administration claimed improperly prevented ...

Read more
News

Make the U.N. Great Again: The Uphill Struggle Facing The Next Secretary General

August 22, 2026
News

Meghan’s Brand, As Ever, Will Live On

August 22, 2026
News

A gut health scientist easily eats 50 grams of fiber a day. Here’s her breakfast, lunch, and dinner.

August 22, 2026
News

For Gen Z, Building Wealth Is in the Stock Market, Not the Housing Market

August 22, 2026
10 minutes backstage with Jill Scott at the YouTube Theater

10 minutes backstage with Jill Scott at the YouTube Theater

August 22, 2026
Vintage bridal is having a moment, and the reasons are as varied as the gowns

Vintage bridal is having a moment, and the reasons are as varied as the gowns

August 22, 2026
Who Has the Last Say in Lebanon? Hezbollah and the State Both Say They Do.

Who Has the Last Say in Lebanon? Hezbollah and the State Both Say They Do.

August 22, 2026

DNYUZ © 2026

No Result
View All Result

DNYUZ © 2026