DNYUZ
No Result
View All Result
DNYUZ
No Result
View All Result
DNYUZ
Home News

An 18-year-old with a sword attacks a school in Sweden, leaving 1 dead

August 21, 2026
in News
An 18-year-old with a sword attacks a school in Sweden, leaving 1 dead

GENEVA — An 18-year-old with a sword attacked a school Friday in central Sweden, killing one person and seriously injuring two others, a police chief said.

Police Chief Tommy Alriksson told a news conference that the perpetrator at the school in the city of Fagersta had been arrested.

Police confirmed that shots were fired during the arrest, the TT news agency reported. The dead person was found as police entered the school to secure the premises.

The attack took place at the Brinell School in Fagersta, northwest of the capital, Stockholm, while classes were in session , with about 400 to 500 students, officials said.

There was no immediate word on the attacker’s possible motive.

“We have no reason at this time to believe that there are multiple perpetrators,” said Alriksson, adding that an investigation was continuing.

Police spokesperson Pelle Vamstad, quoted by the TT news agency, said that an alarm was received in the early afternoon Friday and that police rushed to the scene. He said officers would check any available camera footage for their investigation.

Prime Minister Ulf Kristersson, in a post earlier on the X social media platform, lamented the violence in Fagersta “right after the summer break.”

“We do not yet know what lies behind the act, but we know that the police are working very intensively,” he added. “Our thoughts are with all those affected.”

The Fagersta city government said it set up a crisis center in a sports hall near the school. The Vastmanland county government said “many people” were affected and that police, fire services and healthcare workers were among those caring for them.

Several nearby schools had been locked down following the incident, and roadblocks were set up, authorities said.

Keaten writes for the Associated Press. AP writer Sylvia Hui in London contributed to this report.

The post An 18-year-old with a sword attacks a school in Sweden, leaving 1 dead appeared first on Los Angeles Times.

Gavin Newsom Wants State AGs to Settle Merger Lawsuit With Paramount, but Only for the ‘Best Deal’
News

Gavin Newsom Wants State AGs to Settle Merger Lawsuit With Paramount, but Only for the ‘Best Deal’

by TheWrap
August 21, 2026

California Gov. Gavin Newson said Friday that he wants State Attorney General Rob Bonta to settle his lawsuit against the ...

Read more
News

Tesla’s Door Handles Lead to Its Biggest Recall Yet

August 21, 2026
News

Todd Blanche’s blunders become podcaster’s secret weapon to blow up Trump’s slush fund

August 21, 2026
News

‘Spider-Man’ Is a $940 Million Streaming Revenue Engine | Charts

August 21, 2026
News

Mexican governor, indicted by U.S. on charges of collaboration with drug cartel, is back in office

August 21, 2026
Jim Acosta pinpoints jarring moment nearly everyone skipped over in Trump-Cohen interview

Jim Acosta pinpoints jarring moment nearly everyone skipped over in Trump-Cohen interview

August 21, 2026
Wild gaffe as Trump threatens to unleash military on sluggish bond market

Wild gaffe as Trump threatens to unleash military on sluggish bond market

August 21, 2026
Stone Brewing lays off employees as it moves production away from Southern California

Stone Brewing lays off employees as it moves production away from Southern California

August 21, 2026

DNYUZ © 2026

No Result
View All Result

DNYUZ © 2026