DNYUZ
No Result
View All Result
DNYUZ
No Result
View All Result
DNYUZ
Home News

Prince Harry and Meghan’s return from California exile sets U.K. aflutter

August 20, 2026
in News
Prince Harry and Meghan’s return from California exile sets U.K. aflutter

LONDON — Prince Harry and Meghan, the Duchess of Sussex, are moving back into the heart of the kingdom they fled six years ago, sending Britain’s tradition-bound royal ecosystem — and the voracious tabloids that cover it — into ecstasies of speculation: What, exactly, to make of them now?

As the couple and their children, Prince Archie, 7, and Princess Lilibet, 5, prepare to end their exile on the California coast, palace watchers said there is little precedent for top-tier royals who pulled themselves off the family’s active lineup to return to the monarchy as self-sidelined civilians.

A key unanswered question centers on the long-running dispute over who should pay to keep their decommissioned highnesses safe. So far, there is no official word on what if any security arrangements will be made for the family, when they set up a non-palatial household outside London.

There are also uncertainties surrounding their social standing, including participation in formal and private family events as well as the roles of Archie and Lilibet.

Lilibet, should she surpass the six royals ahead of her in line to the throne, would be the first California girl turned English queen, born within three miles of Santa Barbara’s Leadbetter Beach.

Harry, fifth in line, and Meghan gave up their status as working royals in 2020, citing what they later described, in a 2021 Oprah Winfrey interview and subsequent Netflix documentary series, as an unsupportive and at times racially insensitive royal institution — criticism that seemed to offend not only their family but much of the realm.

The couple decamped to North America, shedding the official duties, security detail and institutional embrace that came with the name, while retaining their titles, their place in the line of succession and, evidently, their pull on the public imagination given the sensation set off by their return.

Perhaps the foremost questions on British minds is: Why return to a country where they have condemned a voracious — and now newly salivating — media horde? And, why now?

Within hours of news of the self-exiled couple’s return — first reported by London’s Daily Telegraph and the Sun — speculation over motive and timing filled articles and social media posts.

Theories have ranged from Harry’s homesickness to the health of his father, King Charles III (who is being treated for cancer), to financial concerns with their U.S.-based documentary and wellness enterprises.

Ian Lloyd, a royal biographer and commentator, said he was still reeling from the unexpected “bombshell.”

Lloyd said he believes the return may also tap into an awareness on Harry’s part that any patching-up of royal relationships must be done while Charles is on the throne, given his bitter rift with his older brother, William, the Prince of Wales and likely next monarch.

“He knows that in future if William is king, there is zero chance of getting back into the fold,” he said.

But other questions abound. “We still don’t know where they are going to live and where the children are going to go to school,” Lloyd said.

Harry and his wife will return home as private citizens — not tenants of the system they walked away from to set up life in Southern California, but not quite outsiders to it, either. Nobody, including the family itself, seems entirely sure where that leaves them.

“There is a cynical part of me that thinks their time in America has not been very productive,” Lloyd said in a phone interview Thursday, citing the couple’s previous deals with Spotify and Netflix.

One commenter said there was just too much sun in Montecito, California — the couple’s adopted home — for an English aristocrat. Another noted that their six-year sojourn in California neatly qualified them for a break on British taxes.

Harry previously had said he would not return without government-provided security for his family, arguing that he gave up his job but not his risk profile.

He spent years in British courts arguing, and ultimately losing, a case to keep the armed police protection he had as a working royal. A Court of Appeal judge ruled in May 2025 that he “could not say the duke’s sense of grievance translated into a legal argument for a challenge.”

A separate push to simply pay for Metropolitan Police protection himself was also rejected. Government lawyers argued that wealthy people should not be allowed to “buy” police guards. While based in California, the couple have paid for private security to protect them at home and on the road.

It was unclear if anything had shifted in the government’s reluctance to provide full-time security now that the family would once again reside in Britain.

Harry visited Charles in July, along with Archie and Lilibet, apparently the first time the king had seen his grandkids in four years.

Prime Minister Andy Burnham said the couples’ security arrangements were a “private matter.”

“It’s a matter for Harry and for Meghan, and we wish them well in the move that they are making,” Burnham told reporters during a visit to Yorkshire on Friday.

The Home Office on Friday declined to comment, telling reporters: “The U.K. Government’s protective security system is rigorous and proportionate. It is our long-standing policy not to provide detailed information on those arrangements, as doing so could compromise their integrity and affect individuals’ security.”

But there were signs that the possibility of state-financed security was being reexamined, even before the couple’s return was reported.

Separately from his failed court appeal, the body in charge of royal security, the Royal and VIP Executive Committee, opened a new review of Harry’s security status in December 2025.

The reason was to conclude a formal risk assessment of his family that had been allowed to lapse in his absence. Some commentators speculated that ruling left the door open for the resumption of full-protection in the future.

Then there’s the social choreography.

A person familiar with the king’s thinking, who spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss royal family affairs, said Charles has made clear there will be no “half-in, half-out” arrangement, echoing a policy set by his mother, Queen Elizabeth II.

By that regal view, Harry and Meghan will remain nonworking royals no matter where they reside. But that distinction may be difficult to hold up once they’re actually living down the road.

“Even if they are not working royals, they are going to rival the royal family,” Lloyd said, noting he thought the media would be “delighted” by their return given that the slimmed-down number of working royals includes just four people under 70: William, 44; his wife, Catherine (Kate Middleton), Princess of Wales, 44; Prince Edward (the king’s brother), 62; and his wife, Sophie, 61.

“Everybody will be fighting to get Harry and Meghan at every kind of thing,” Lloyd said. “It’s just not going to go down very well with William and Catherine.” He predicted even ceremonial set pieces, such as the family’s traditional Christmas walk to church, could turn “fraught.”

Harry and Meghan’s own children, meanwhile, are reportedly enrolled to start at unnamed British schools in September, and both return with their titles intact.

Buckingham Palace confirmed in 2023 that the two children could use the prince and princess titles under a 1917 provision covering the monarch’s grandchildren. They can expect plenty of media attention as they grow.

Some commentators said the situation is shaping up to resemble the kind of hybrid, public-private role that Harry had sought for his family when relations with his wider family first curdled following his marriage to Meghan Markle, an American actress.

But his grandmother Elizabeth refused such an arrangement, declaring there would be no “half-in, half-out” royals.

Now, however, Harry and Meghan may have gotten “exactly what they wanted,” said Camilla Tominey, royals reporter for the Telegraph.

“They keep the mansion in Montecito, they keep a base in the U.K., they educate their children here, and they can do charitable things but not be fully fledged royals,” Tominey said in a video posted Friday on X. “That sounds to me like the half-in, half-out hybrid role they sought back in 2020.”

The post Prince Harry and Meghan’s return from California exile sets U.K. aflutter appeared first on Washington Post.

If You Do These Things, You Might Be Accidentally Cheating on Your Partner
News

If You Do These Things, You Might Be Accidentally Cheating on Your Partner

by VICE
August 20, 2026

Most people think they have a pretty clear read on what cheating is. Physical contact with someone outside the relationship, ...

Read more
News

Warner Bros. Pictures Animation’s ‘Margie Claus’ Reveals 2027 Release Date, Voice Cast

August 20, 2026
News

A quiet channel between ICE and Iran shaped deportation flights, newly released emails show

August 20, 2026
News

Republicans notch win in Missouri congressional redistricting fight

August 20, 2026
News

The 2 Words Men Say on Dates That Are Guaranteed to Make a Women Cringe

August 20, 2026
Mark Cuban said ‘only idiot’ founders would stay in California under a wealth tax. We asked 3 founders if they’d leave.

Mark Cuban said ‘only idiot’ founders would stay in California under a wealth tax. We asked 3 founders if they’d leave.

August 20, 2026
‘Snowballing catastrophes’ threaten to collide even if Dems win in November: journalist

‘Snowballing catastrophes’ threaten to collide even if Dems win in November: journalist

August 20, 2026
Bessent tells US allies ‘you’re either with us or against us’ on Iran sanctions: ‘We are going to collapse this regime’

Bessent tells US allies ‘you’re either with us or against us’ on Iran sanctions: ‘We are going to collapse this regime’

August 20, 2026

DNYUZ © 2026

No Result
View All Result

DNYUZ © 2026