DNYUZ
  • Home
  • News
    • U.S.
    • World
    • Politics
    • Opinion
    • Business
    • Crime
    • Education
    • Environment
    • Science
  • Entertainment
    • Culture
    • Music
    • Movie
    • Television
    • Theater
    • Gaming
    • Sports
  • Tech
    • Apps
    • Autos
    • Gear
    • Mobile
    • Startup
  • Lifestyle
    • Arts
    • Fashion
    • Food
    • Health
    • Travel
No Result
View All Result
DNYUZ
No Result
View All Result
Home News

Prosecutors say Luigi Mangione is inspiring others to violence

August 29, 2025
in News
Prosecutors say Luigi Mangione is inspiring others to violence
494
SHARES
1.4k
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

Luigi Mangione, who is accused of gunning down a top insurance company executive on a New York City street, has inspired others to embrace violence, including the gunman behind last month’s deadly attack on the NFL headquarters in Manhattan, federal prosecutors contend in a new court filing.

Mangione, the prosecutors argued in Wednesday’s filing, poses a threat to the public because he is actively seeking to influence others to follow in his footsteps.

“Simply put, the defendant hoped to normalize the use of violence to achieve ideological or political objectives,” they said in the document. “Since the murder, certain quarters of the public — who openly identify as acolytes of the defendant — have increasingly begun to view violence as an acceptable, or even necessary, substitute for reasoned political disagreement.”

Mangione, 27, is awaiting trial, charged in the Dec. 4, 2024, ambush killing of UnitedHealthcare CEO Brian Thompson.

Arrested in Pennsylvania five days after the fatal shooting, Mangione has pleaded not guilty to federal charges of murder, two counts of stalking and a firearms offense for allegedly using a silencer. He also faces state murder charges.

But since his arrest, Mangione has “openly cultivated supporters” by setting up a website where he directly addresses them and catalogues the supportive letters he has received while locked up in the Brooklyn federal prison, the prosecutors said.

U.S. Attorney General Pam Bondi announced in April that the government would seek the death penalty against Mangione for “an act of political violence” and a “premeditated, cold-blooded assassination that shocked America.”

The new filing by federal prosecutors is an attempt to counter a defense motion for more information on what the government intends to offer as evidence that Mangione should be put to death for a killing that has made him a folk hero to some members of the public.

In May, Mangione’s legal defense fund surpassed $1 million in donations from more than 28,000 people, many of whom are angry with the nation’s for-profit medical system.

To buttress their argument that Mangione was inspiring more mayhem, prosecutors in a footnote cited the July 28 attack on pro football’s Park Avenue headquarters by a gunman named Shane Tamura, who fatally shot an off-duty New York City police officer, a Blackstone executive and two other people, before killing himself.

“Like Mangione, Tamura left behind a piece of evidence for investigators to find, blaming the NFL and football for causing chronic traumatic encephalopathy,” the prosecutors wrote, referring to the brain disease often caused by concussions. “Almost immediately, members of the public sympathetic to the defendant touted Tamura’s actions as a laudable continuation of the defendant’s philosophy.”

Mangione laid out his plans against the “deadly, greed fueled health insurance cartel” in a red notebook that investigators found after his arrest, New York state prosecutors alleged in a June court filing.

The lawyer who represents Mangione in the federal case did not immediately respond to a request for comment Friday.

The post Prosecutors say Luigi Mangione is inspiring others to violence appeared first on NBC News.

Share198Tweet124Share
Bolivian opposition leader Camacho released from jail after nearly 3 years
News

Bolivian opposition leader Camacho released from jail after nearly 3 years

by Al Jazeera
August 30, 2025

Right-wing Bolivian opposition leader Luis Fernando Camacho has been released from jail after spending nearly three years in pretrial detention ...

Read more
News

Indonesia: Blaze kills 3 amid protests over driver death

August 30, 2025
News

How a Blind Pianist Spends a Day Performing and Rock Climbing

August 30, 2025
News

Golf polos take over Wall Street in the summer. 4 men told us the etiquette behind them.

August 30, 2025
News

Why Legal Weed Might Not Be as Safe, or as Strong, as Advertised

August 30, 2025
Justice Department launches probe of California EPA over alleged diversity-based hiring practices

DOJ staffer fired after flipping off, cursing National Guard in Washington, DC: report

August 30, 2025
Queen Elizabeth Ordered Barack Obama to ‘Go To Bed’ on His State Visit

Queen Elizabeth Ordered Barack Obama to ‘Go To Bed’ on His State Visit

August 30, 2025
In Boko Haram’s birthplace, USAID’s collapse threatens a school for victims of extremism

In Boko Haram’s birthplace, USAID’s collapse threatens a school for victims of extremism

August 30, 2025

Copyright © 2025.

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
    • U.S.
    • World
    • Politics
    • Opinion
    • Business
    • Crime
    • Education
    • Environment
    • Science
  • Entertainment
    • Culture
    • Gaming
    • Music
    • Movie
    • Sports
    • Television
    • Theater
  • Tech
    • Apps
    • Autos
    • Gear
    • Mobile
    • Startup
  • Lifestyle
    • Arts
    • Fashion
    • Food
    • Health
    • Travel

Copyright © 2025.