DNYUZ
  • Home
  • News
    • U.S.
    • World
    • Politics
    • Opinion
    • Business
    • Crime
    • Education
    • Environment
    • Science
  • Entertainment
    • Culture
    • Music
    • Movie
    • Television
    • Theater
    • Gaming
    • Sports
  • Tech
    • Apps
    • Autos
    • Gear
    • Mobile
    • Startup
  • Lifestyle
    • Arts
    • Fashion
    • Food
    • Health
    • Travel
No Result
View All Result
DNYUZ
No Result
View All Result
Home News

White House clarifies position on Chinese students after MAGA backlash against 600,000 figure

August 28, 2025
in News
White House clarifies position on Chinese students after MAGA backlash against 600,000 figure
495
SHARES
1.4k
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

Public outrage over a statement from President Donald Trump about Chinese students allowed into the U.S. led to a clarification on Thursday from the White House.

The president was speaking to reporters on Monday with South Korean President Lee Jae Myung at his side when he addressed the negotiations with China.

‘President Trump isn’t proposing an increase in student visas for Chinese students. … It’s simply a continuation of existing policy.’

“President Xi would like me to come to China. It’s a very important relationship. As you know, we are taking a lot of money in from China because of the tariffs and different things,” Trump said.

“I hear so many stories about ‘We are not going to allow their students,’ but we are going to allow their students to come in,” he added. “We are going to allow it. It’s very important — 600,000 students.”

The admission from a president who had been very open about his opposition to Chinese expansionism and foreign-born students led to outrage from his supporters. There were 277,398 students from China allowed to attend U.S. colleges in 2023.

He went on to argue later that the high number of Chinese students would help keep U.S. schools financially solvent.

“We’re honored to have their students here,” he said.

On Thursday, the White House clarified his statement.

“President Trump isn’t proposing an increase in student visas for Chinese students. The 600K references two years’ worth of visas. It’s simply a continuation of existing policy,” the statement reads.

RELATED: Chinese nationals on student visas allegedly ripped off elderly Americans in nasty scheme

In May, the State Department had issued a statement indicating that they would be “aggressively” revoking visas for Chinese students if they were found to have links to the Chinese Community Party.

“We will also revise visa criteria to enhance scrutiny of all future visa applications from the People’s Republic of China and Hong Kong,” State Sec. Marco Rubio added.

The Chinese Foreign Ministry had opposed the opposition to student visas and called on the U.S. government to “protect the legitimate rights and interests of international students, including those of Chinese students.”

Like Blaze News? Bypass the censors, sign up for our newsletters, and get stories like this direct to your inbox. Sign up here!

The post White House clarifies position on Chinese students after MAGA backlash against 600,000 figure appeared first on TheBlaze.

Share198Tweet124Share
Denver school’s all-gender bathrooms violate Title IX, Education Department finds
Culture

Denver school’s all-gender bathrooms violate Title IX, Education Department finds

by Fox News
August 29, 2025

NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles! The U.S. Department of Education said on Thursday that it found Denver ...

Read more
News

Van Jones: Trump’s Weaponization of the Law Is ‘What Happens in a Banana Republic’

August 29, 2025
News

Trump administration announces a $825 million arms sale to Ukraine

August 29, 2025
News

A Mexican’s teen 15th birthday goes viral and more top photos this week from Latin America

August 29, 2025
Culture

Fed-up Englanders are hanging flags everywhere — cheered on by the far right

August 29, 2025
China’s era of one-yuan lattes and cheaply delivered meals is cratering

China’s era of one-yuan lattes and cheaply delivered meals is cratering

August 29, 2025
It’s the End of ‘Big City.’ New York Will Be Fine.

It’s the End of ‘Big City.’ New York Will Be Fine.

August 29, 2025
Germany updates: Merz and Macron chair Franco-Geman council

Germany updates: Merz and Macron chair Franco-Geman council

August 29, 2025

Copyright © 2025.

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
    • U.S.
    • World
    • Politics
    • Opinion
    • Business
    • Crime
    • Education
    • Environment
    • Science
  • Entertainment
    • Culture
    • Gaming
    • Music
    • Movie
    • Sports
    • Television
    • Theater
  • Tech
    • Apps
    • Autos
    • Gear
    • Mobile
    • Startup
  • Lifestyle
    • Arts
    • Fashion
    • Food
    • Health
    • Travel

Copyright © 2025.