DNYUZ
  • Home
  • News
    • U.S.
    • World
    • Politics
    • Opinion
    • Business
    • Crime
    • Education
    • Environment
    • Science
  • Entertainment
    • Culture
    • Music
    • Movie
    • Television
    • Theater
    • Gaming
    • Sports
  • Tech
    • Apps
    • Autos
    • Gear
    • Mobile
    • Startup
  • Lifestyle
    • Arts
    • Fashion
    • Food
    • Health
    • Travel
No Result
View All Result
DNYUZ
No Result
View All Result
Home News

Dozens Rescued From Tunnel That Collapsed in Los Angeles

July 10, 2025
in News
Workers Rescued From Tunnel That Collapsed in Los Angeles
492
SHARES
1.4k
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

A group of 27 workers inside a collapsed tunnel in Los Angeles climbed over a mound of soil up to 15 feet tall and emerged at the only entrance five miles away without major injury, making an improbable escape on Wednesday night, officials said.

Four other tunnel workers went inside the industrial tunnel after the collapse to help in the rescue efforts. All 31 workers emerged safely after the collapse, said Michael Chee, the spokesman for the Los Angeles County Sanitation Districts.

The Los Angeles Fire Department said that no one was missing after it had dispatched more than 100 rescue workers to the site in the city’s Wilmington neighborhood, about 20 miles south of downtown Los Angeles.

“Tonight, we were lucky,” interim Fire Department Chief Ronnie Villanueva said at a news conference.

The collapse left a pile of loose soil that was 12 to 15 feet tall inside a horizontal excavation site in the tunnel, which was part of a construction project, the Fire Department said in a statement.

The tunnel workers who were trapped by the debris were able to scramble over it and meet their co-workers who had gone inside to help. The workers then shuttled on a tunnel vehicle several at a time on a tunnel vehicle, fire officials said.

The authorities did not immediately say what had caused the collapse. Interim Chief Villanueva said that the workers were being treated for minor injuries.

The tunnel was part of a $630 million wastewater management project commissioned by the Los Angeles County Sanitation Districts. FlatironDragados, the tunnel’s main contractor, said on its website that the project was expected to be completed in 2027.

Construction workers were building a new tunnel to transport treated wastewater to the ocean, replacing two tunnels that had been in operation since the 1930s, Mr. Chee said.

Janice Hahn, a Los Angeles County Board supervisor whose district includes Wilmington, said that the work on the tunnel would continue.

Speaking to reporters outside the facility, Mayor Karen Bass said she had rushed to the site fearing tragedy. She and her team had spoken with rescue workers, families, and paramedics, she said. “We’re all blessed tonight in Los Angeles.”

John Yoon is a Times reporter based in Seoul who covers breaking and trending news.

The post Dozens Rescued From Tunnel That Collapsed in Los Angeles appeared first on New York Times.

Share197Tweet123Share
Israel eliminates Houthi prime minister in Yemen airstrike targeting senior government officials
News

Israel eliminates Houthi prime minister in Yemen airstrike targeting senior government officials

by Fox News
August 30, 2025

NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles! The Israel Defense Forces said on Saturday that it had killed the ...

Read more
Health

FDA: More Indonesian Shrimp Recalled as Potentially ‘Radioactive’

August 30, 2025
Football

How to Watch UTEP vs Utah State: Live Stream NCAA College Football, TV Channel

August 30, 2025
Football

How to Watch New Mexico vs Michigan: Live Stream NCAA College Football, TV Channel

August 30, 2025
News

‘Love Island’ star Taylor Williams suffers brutal injury after being thrown from horse in Arizona rodeo

August 30, 2025
How to Watch Hawai’i vs Arizona: Live Stream NCAA College Football, TV Channel

How to Watch Hawai’i vs Arizona: Live Stream NCAA College Football, TV Channel

August 30, 2025
White House advances plan for Department of War as Trump looks to restore historical military title

White House advances plan for Department of War as Trump looks to restore historical military title

August 30, 2025
Bones Found During Manhunt for Father Accused of Murdering His 3 Little Girls

Bones Found During Manhunt for Father Accused of Murdering His 3 Little Girls

August 30, 2025

Copyright © 2025.

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
    • U.S.
    • World
    • Politics
    • Opinion
    • Business
    • Crime
    • Education
    • Environment
    • Science
  • Entertainment
    • Culture
    • Gaming
    • Music
    • Movie
    • Sports
    • Television
    • Theater
  • Tech
    • Apps
    • Autos
    • Gear
    • Mobile
    • Startup
  • Lifestyle
    • Arts
    • Fashion
    • Food
    • Health
    • Travel

Copyright © 2025.