DNYUZ
No Result
View All Result
DNYUZ
No Result
View All Result
DNYUZ
Home News

Bloodbath for Carl’s Jr. as nearly 50 California locations face ax over state’s staggering minimum wage

May 29, 2026
in News
Bloodbath for Carl’s Jr. as nearly 50 California locations face ax over state’s staggering minimum wage

Carl’s Jr. is staring down the potential loss of dozens of California locations after a franchisee and its affiliates filed for bankruptcy protection — blaming the state’s staggering minimum wage.

Franchisee Sun Gir Inc., which is leading the Chapter 11 action, is putting 49 of its California restaurants up for sale as part of the proceedings.

Friendly Franchisees Corporation CEO and Founder Harshad Dharod said the state’s $20 minimum wage in the fast-food sector contributes to the chain’s financial distress ahead of bankruptcy filing under subsidiary Sun Gir, according to Restaurant Dive.

A Carl's Jr. restaurant with a
A Carl’s Jr. franchisee is putting 49 of its California restaurants up for sale as part of the proceedings. Christopher Sadowski

Dharod said the minimum wage, enacted in 2024, “materially increased operating expenses,” and the operator struggled with “reduced marketing effectiveness” and a “lack of innovation at the franchisor level.”

Sun Gir has cited “significant ongoing operating expenses,” worsened by the high minimum wage, for putting in default of its franchisee agreements at a number of locations. It also noted a “failure to timely pay rent, royalties and other required charges,” per the court filing.

Sun Gir will use cash collateral to pay about 1,000 of its employees, along with paying rent, insurance, and complete obligations under its franchise and lease agreements, according to Restaurant Dive.

Carl's Jr. Famous Star Beyond Meat burger.
California’s $20 minimum wage for fast-food workers has spelled trouble for other restaurants. Getty Images

Despite the bankruptcy proceeding, the company claimed on its websitethat it drove profits and sales “far above the brand average.”

California’s high fast-food minimum wage has spelled trouble for other fast-food operators,

A study published last year by the National Bureau of Economic Research (NBER) this month found that the state’s fast-food minimum wage hike cost the state thousands of jobs.

Interior of a Carl's Jr. restaurant with red accents, featuring booths, tables, and a menu board with
Google Maps

Researchers found that the the minimum wage hike has cost the fast-food sector 18,000 jobs since it went into effect in April 2024, representing a 3.2% decline in that sector compared to fast-food sectors in other parts of the country.

“Our median estimate translates into a loss of 18,000 jobs in California’s fast-food sector relative to the counterfactual,” researchers Jeffrey Clemens, Olivia Edwards, and Jonathan Meer wrote in their paper.

The post Bloodbath for Carl’s Jr. as nearly 50 California locations face ax over state’s staggering minimum wage appeared first on New York Post.

Tropical Storm Moke Threatens to Bring Up to a Foot of Rain to Hawaii
News

Tropical Storm Moke Threatens to Bring Up to a Foot of Rain to Hawaii

by New York Times
August 22, 2026

Tropical Storm Moke will bring a chance of heavy rain and strong winds to Hawaii as it swings by the ...

Read more
News

Even billionaires are worried their Gen Z kids can’t keep a job—and their wealth advisors say the fear is ‘very real’

August 22, 2026
News

DSA rich girl ‘Lulu Lenin’ defends wealth: ‘have y’all never heard of noblesse oblige?’

August 22, 2026
News

U.S. Economy Could Feel the Sting From Trade War With Canada

August 22, 2026
News

Keith Urban fights back tears singing breakup ballad as ex Nicole Kidman moves on with rumored new romance

August 22, 2026
Nancy Kassebaum Baker, former U.S. senator from Kansas, dies at 94

Early Motown songwriter Janie Bradford Hobbs dies at 87

August 22, 2026
Red state schools demand police ditch electric-shock gloves used on students

Red state schools demand police ditch electric-shock gloves used on students

August 22, 2026
Nancy Kassebaum Baker, former U.S. senator from Kansas, dies at 94

Nancy Kassebaum Baker, former U.S. senator from Kansas, dies at 94

August 22, 2026

DNYUZ © 2026

No Result
View All Result

DNYUZ © 2026