The indictment of Raúl Castro is the latest step in the Trump administration’s escalating pressure campaign against Cuba — part of a broader effort by the president to topple the Cuban government.
The Justice Department unsealed an indictment on Wednesday, charging Mr. Castro, the former president of Cuba, and five other people with murder and a conspiracy to kill U.S. citizens.
Since retaking office, President Trump has made no secret of his desire to expand U.S. territory and oust leaders he dislikes. After the successful military operation in Venezuela and the so far unsuccessful efforts to secure Greenland or the Panama Canal, Mr. Trump has made it clear that Cuba is his next target.
For Mr. Trump, the interest in Cuba is not new. In 2011 and 2012, Trump Organization executives visited Cuba to scout a golf course, and in 2016, while running for president, Mr. Trump said Cuba “would be a good opportunity for investment.”
And even as he has derided Cuba as a “failed nation” in recent months, he has continued to talk up its geographical advantages.
“I think Cuba, in its own way, tourism and everything else, it’s a beautiful island, great weather,” Mr. Trump said in March.
Tyler Pager is a White House correspondent for The Times, covering President Trump and his administration.
The post Castro Indictment Is Trump’s Latest Move Against Cuba appeared first on New York Times.




