DNYUZ
No Result
View All Result
DNYUZ
No Result
View All Result
DNYUZ
Home News

U.S. Navy destroyer with 300 sailors aboard broke down for four days in the Pacific

August 19, 2026
in News
U.S. Navy destroyer with 300 sailors aboard broke down for four days in the Pacific

WASHINGTON — A U.S. Navy destroyer with about 300 sailors aboard suffered a major breakdown in the Pacific Ocean last month that left it without power for four days, the Navy confirmed in a statement.

The USS Benfold “reported an engineering casualty involving its generators, causing a loss of power” on July 24, Navy spokesman Cmdr. Matthew Comer said in the statement. The breakdown meant the crew went without drinking water, meals, functioning toilets and air conditioning for days aboard the ship, Comer said.

The incident, which only became public on Friday when it was first reported by USNI News, comes as the Pentagon grapples with serious questions about the quality of life aboard naval vessels and the military’s ability to supply ships during the conflict with Iran.

Democratic lawmakers are calling for investigations into conditions aboard the aircraft carrier USS Abraham Lincoln. Reports last week revealed that the ship, which has spent a record-setting 250 uninterrupted days at sea, has experienced shortages of supplies, including food and hygiene products, while crew members have suffered from stress and poor mental health.

Comer stressed that there were no injuries to the crew of the Benfold, “who demonstrated resilience, grit, professionalism, and unwavering steadiness in their response,” but that the ship needed assistance from the George Washington carrier strike group.

The cruiser USS Robert Smalls provided meals to the stricken destroyer.

Ultimately, Comer said the Benfold had to be towed to Subic Bay, in the Philippines, for repairs, arriving on July 28. The crew was then provided food and lodging off the ship. On Aug. 8, the Benfold left port “with all engineering, combat systems, and crew support systems functioning normally,” the statement said.

Meanwhile, the ships from the George Washington strike group, including the aircraft carrier USS George Washington, were spotted heading toward the Middle East. The carrier was expected to replace the Lincoln, which the acting navy secretary, Hung Cao, said last week would be returning home soon.

This would leave the waters of the Pacific without a U.S. carrier presence for an unknown period of time. The Trump administration sees China, the dominant power in the region, as “a settled force” that only needs to be deterred from dominating the U.S. or its allies and not the top global adversary that it was under the Biden administration.

Toropin writes for the Associated Press.

The post U.S. Navy destroyer with 300 sailors aboard broke down for four days in the Pacific appeared first on Los Angeles Times.

Prosecutors suggest Comey posted  ‘86 47’ seashell photo to boost book sales
News

Prosecutors claim Comey posted ‘86 47’ seashell photo to boost book sales

by Washington Post
August 19, 2026

The Justice Department argued this week that former FBI director James B. Comey intentionally threatened the life of President Donald ...

Read more
News

Critics mock Trump as he tries ‘worst ever movie reboot’

August 19, 2026
News

Trump threatens to bomb Oman, widening the war that crippled the global economy

August 19, 2026
News

Eric André, Clayton English settle lawsuit over racial profiling at Atlanta airport

August 19, 2026
News

Felonies to be dropped against L.A. officer who recorded colleagues’ racist remarks

August 19, 2026
Texas’ screwworm could be fatal for the unadopted dogs and cats in rescue shelters statewide

Texas’ screwworm could be fatal for the unadopted dogs and cats in rescue shelters statewide

August 19, 2026
Brian Hickerson spotted for the first time since Hayden Panettiere’s death

Brian Hickerson spotted for the first time since Hayden Panettiere’s death

August 19, 2026
State approves ‘Zone Zero’ fire-safe landscaping rules, reshaping yards for millions of Californians

State approves ‘Zone Zero’ fire-safe landscaping rules, reshaping yards for millions of Californians

August 19, 2026

DNYUZ © 2026

No Result
View All Result

DNYUZ © 2026