DNYUZ
No Result
View All Result
DNYUZ
No Result
View All Result
DNYUZ
Home News

Mission to save NASA’s aging Swift space telescope called off after rescue spacecraft loses control

August 19, 2026
in News
Mission to save NASA’s aging Swift space telescope called off after rescue spacecraft loses control

The mission to save NASA’s sinking Swift Observatory was called off Wednesday, dooming the telescope to a fiery reentry later this year.

NASA and Katalyst Space Technologies announced the news more than a month after the startup’s Link spacecraft rocketed away to the telescope’s rescue.

Katalyst said Link will not attempt to capture Swift and boost it to a higher orbit because of problems with controlling the spacecraft. NASA said this means the telescope will plunge through the atmosphere after more than 20 years of tracking some of the biggest explosions in the universe like gamma ray bursts and exploding stars. Its demise is not expected before October.

A spacecraft built by Katalyst Space next to a Northrop Grumman Pegasus XL rocket.
A spacecraft built by space startup Katalyst Space intended to tow NASA’s Neil Gehrels Swift Observatory into a higher orbit awaits encapsulation aboard a Northrop Grumman Pegasus XL at NASA’s Wallops Flight Facility in Virginia on July 2, 2026. via REUTERS

NASA paid $30 million to Katalyst in an attempt to raise the telescope to a safer, longer-lasting orbit. Intense solar activity caused it to lose altitude faster than expected. The rescue spacecraft went into an uncontrollable spin a few weeks after its liftoff in early July. While flight controllers managed to slow Link’s tumble, issues continued to plague its pointing and positioning in orbit.

“This is not the outcome we were working toward, but it does not change why this mission was worth attempting,” NASA Administrator Jared Isaacman said in a statement.

As a consolation prize, Katalyst will continue to operate Link in proximity with the telescope to demonstrate capabilities for future rescue operations.

Katalyst CEO Ghonhee Lee said it was an ambitious mission on an aggressive timeline that was thrown together in under a year.

Two men in cleanroom suits standing next to a satellite in a dark test chamber.
Kieran Wilson, LINK’s principal investigator, and Hunter Robertson, a space systems engineer, both at Katalyst Space, stand next to their spacecraft inside the SES at NASA’s Goddard Space Flight Center in Greenbelt, Md. on April 18, 2026. NASA via AP

“We took on this high-risk, high-reward challenge and are proud of the milestones we reached along the way,” Lee said in a statement. “We have already learned a tremendous amount.”

Launched in 2004, Swift’s science instruments were turned off earlier this year to slow its descent. It was orbiting 214 miles (345 kilometers) high as of Wednesday. Katalyst had hoped to lift the telescope back to its original orbit of 373 miles (600 kilometers), allowing for many more years of cosmic observations.

NASA’s Hubble Space Telescope could benefit from an orbital boost and had been next in line for a rescue attempt had this mission gone well. The 36-year-old Hubble is also dropping in orbit because of all the sun’s recent outbursts. It wasn’t immediately known whether Hubble is now out of luck.

The post Mission to save NASA’s aging Swift space telescope called off after rescue spacecraft loses control appeared first on New York Post.

No new Canada tariffs — for now
News

No new Canada tariffs — for now

by Vox
August 19, 2026

This story appeared in The Logoff, a daily newsletter that helps you stay informed about the Trump administration without letting ...

Read more
News

Blistering lawsuit accuses ICE contractor of leaving inspectors ‘flying in the dark’

August 19, 2026
News

5 DCOMs That Deserve a Revival

August 19, 2026
News

Mickey Avalon—Who’s Lived the Wildest Life You’ll Ever Hear of—Is Somehow Still Alive

August 19, 2026
News

Radicalized by the Heatwave

August 19, 2026
17 cozy comfort meals you can make in a slow cooker

17 cozy comfort meals you can make in a slow cooker

August 19, 2026
Megyn Kelly up in arms after MAGA pinch-hitter’s ‘disqualifying’ debate disaster

Megyn Kelly up in arms after MAGA pinch-hitter’s ‘disqualifying’ debate disaster

August 19, 2026
‘Oppenheimer’s’ David Krumholtz clarifies he is not ‘retiring’ or ‘quitting’ his acting career

‘Oppenheimer’s’ David Krumholtz clarifies he is not ‘retiring’ or ‘quitting’ his acting career

August 19, 2026

DNYUZ © 2026

No Result
View All Result

DNYUZ © 2026