A Los Angeles police officer who faced multiple felonies for recording his colleagues making racist, sexist and homophobic comments will now likely avoid jail time under a new agreement with prosecutors, Los Angeles County’s district attorney said Wednesday.
Dist. Atty. Nathan Hochman announced he would reduce 16 felony eavesdropping counts against Officer Daniel Flores to misdemeanors, and that the case would likely resolve in court through a diversion agreement.
The announcement came after Hochman faced backlash for the decision to prosecute Flores, with Mayor Karen Bass and even some of his own prosecutors criticizing the filing as “insane” and a deterrent for police looking to expose corruption and misconduct within their own ranks.
The district attorney acknowledged the public reaction to the case as he spoke downtown Wednesday morning.
“The message was not being clearly interpreted about us being protective of whistleblowers,” he said.
Flores’ attorney, Alan Jackson, wasn’t immediately available for comment. If a judge accepts a diversion agreement, Flores would have to satisfy certain terms and conditions for about one year. If he does so, the case would be dismissed.
Flores made more than 100 recordings of his colleagues in the LAPD’s recruitment division last year which captured other cops making a wide array of racist, homophobic and sexist remarks. Comments included a joke about a legendary L.A. Dodgers pitcher who was Latino dying because he “ate too many tacos,” and referring to stereotypes about Black people enjoying eating watermelon and playing basketball. One officer was recorded calling a young LAPD recruit “rapeable,” according to court records.
If convicted of the original charges, Flores could have faced up to 13 years in prison.
California is a “two-party consent” state, meaning it is a crime for someone to record a conversation without the permission of other participants, unless there is a court order granting authority to do so. Flores’ attorneys have argued that his actions were allowed under the California Invasion of Privacy Act because he was acting in the course of his duties as a police officer.
Flores lodged a complaint with the LAPD’s inspector general’s office and has said he hoped the officers he taped making inappropriate remarks would face discipline.
The decision to charge Flores drew relentless criticism from an array of groups. Bass said she worried about the potential chilling effect on other police whistleblowers.
Last week, city council member Hugo Soto-Martínez introduced a resolution condemning Hochman for bringing “felony charges against a City employee who reported workplace discrimination through official channels” and urging him to drop the charges.
Flores had pleaded not guilty at his arraignment in a downtown courtroom last week, with a team of high-powered lawyers in tow. His next court date was set for Sept. 9.
The second-guessing of Hochman’s decision ramped up earlier this month after the D.A., in an unusual move, filed a 27-page motion asking for a lengthy preliminary hearing in the case. The filing alleged Flores deceptively edited the recordings to hide his own insensitive remarks and suggested he was motivated by a desire to win a large legal settlement in court.
Hochman’s motion referred to the officers’ remarks as “locker room talk” — a characterization that was seized on by Flores’ legal team.
Jackson, a former L.A. prosecutor, accused Hochman of contradicting himself, questioning the D.A.’s efforts to justify the officers’ coarse language.
The motion, Jackson noted, relied heavily on the observations of the officers against whom Flores had leveled claims — and who were under internal investigation by the LAPD.
Flores filed a lawsuit in June accusing the LAPD of retaliating against him after he reported misconduct.
When reached for comment on Flores’ lawsuit, a spokesperson for the LAPD’s inspector general’s office said it was barred by state law from disclosing information about individual cases, but added that it’s practice is to refer all “complaints of employee misconduct” to Internal Affairs.
The post D.A. reduces charges against LAPD officer who recorded racist remarks by colleagues appeared first on Los Angeles Times.




