A coalition of labor unions and higher-education groups sued President Donald Trump’s administration Tuesday to stop a new rule that will limit the amount of time foreign students, exchange visitors and journalists can stay in the United States.
In July, the Department of Homeland Security finalized a regulation that will bar international students from staying in the U.S. for longer than four years without an extension, along with other restrictions.
The lawsuit was filed in federal court in Boston on behalf of the Presidents’ Alliance on Higher Education and Immigration, NAFSA: Association of International Educators, the Association of Independent Colleges and Universities in Massachusetts, and several unions that represent graduate students and others affected by the rule.
Opponents said the rule could hurt students whose programs take longer than four years.
“These sweeping changes are catastrophic for universities, international students and scholars and the nation as a whole,” the coalition wrote in its lawsuit.
Even before the new rule, many colleges experienced a recent drop in new international students, forcing some schools to cut staff and programs. A report last week predicted international enrollment will decrease by 9.5 percent this fall.
A DHS spokesperson criticized the media for reporting on the suit.
“The performative outrage is incredible. Where was the outrage when foreign nationals were abusing the system, violating the terms of their student visas, and making a mockery of our immigration laws?” the statement said.
Catch up quickly every weekday morning with a rundown of the 7 most important and interesting stories. Sign up for The 7 newsletter.
The post Coalition sues to block rule limiting foreign students to four-year stays appeared first on Washington Post.




