DNYUZ
No Result
View All Result
DNYUZ
No Result
View All Result
DNYUZ
Home News

Israel and Hezbollah Agree to Cease-Fire After Renewed Fighting Threatens to Derail U.S.-Iran Peace Talks

June 19, 2026
in News
Israel and Hezbollah Agree to Cease-Fire After Renewed Fighting Threatens to Derail U.S.-Iran Peace Talks
Smoke rises after an airstrike on the village of Choukine in southern Lebanon on June 19, 2026. —AFP—Getty Images

Israel and Hezbollahagreed to a‌ cease-fire Friday, a U.S. official told TIME, after a fresh exchange of strikes risked derailing Washington-Tehran talks for a permanent truce in the Iran war.

The halt in hostilities is understood to have come into effect at 4 p.m., local time.

There has yet to be an official confirmation of a cease-fire in Lebanon from either Israel or Hezbollah. TIME has reached out to the relevant parties for comment.

The U.S. and Iran peace talks, set to start anew in Switzerland Friday after the memorandum of understanding was signed earlier in the week, were abruptly postponed amid the flare-up of violence.

The White House on Thursday night said Vice President J.D. Vance would not be travelling to Europe to lead the U.S. delegation as “the plans for the upcoming technical talks have not been finalized.”

“The logistics of these negotiations have never been simple or predictable, we look forward to beginning technical talks as soon as possible,” a spokesperson said.

Lebanese broadcaster Al Mayadeen reported that Iran’s delegation postponed their travel to Switzerland due to the hostilities in Lebanon.

The latest exchange of strikes between Israeli forces and the Iran-backed Hezbollah militant group killed at least 18 people in Lebanon, according to the country’s Health Ministry.

Lebanese President Joseph Aoun condemned the intensified fighting as a “dangerous escalation.”

Four Israeli soldiers were ​killed by Hezbollah ​militants. “Israel will not tolerate attacks on our soldiers or our territory, and it will exact a very heavy price from Hezbollah for these attacks,” said Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, following the overnight exchange.

The Israel Defense Forces (IDF) said it had struck “80 command centers, terrorists, launch positions, and additional terrorist infrastructure” across southern Lebanon in response to what it described as “Hezbollah’s repeated and blatant violations” of the initial cease-fire that came into place in April but has had little effect.

The violencewas a significant test of the U.S.-Iran memorandum, as the first term states that upon signing, “the United States of America and the Islamic Republic of Iran and their allies in the current war” declared the “immediate and permanent termination of military operations on all fronts, including in Lebanon.”

But Israel was not a party to the negotiations, and Netanyahu earlier this week ruled out any immediate withdrawal of troops from Lebanon.

U.S. President Donald Trump and Vance have both aired their frustrations with Israel amid efforts from Washington and Tehran to finalize a permanent truce in the Iran war during their own extendable 60-day cease-fire.

Esmaeil Baghaei, Iran’s Foreign Ministry spokesperson, on Friday said the United States bears responsibility ​for the Israeli strikes in Lebanon, citing the first clause of the memorandum.

Tehran will “take all necessary measures to protect its interests, security, and rights and those of its allies,” he said.

The post Israel and Hezbollah Agree to Cease-Fire After Renewed Fighting Threatens to Derail U.S.-Iran Peace Talks appeared first on TIME.

U.S. to trim military exercises with South Korea after Trump says Seoul declined to help on Iran while the North is ‘unthreatening and respectful’
News

U.S. to trim military exercises with South Korea after Trump says Seoul declined to help on Iran while the North is ‘unthreatening and respectful’

by Fortune
August 17, 2026

President Donald Trump ordered the Pentagon on Sunday to scale back planned joint military exercises with South Korea after the ...

Read more
News

Skyrocketing beef prices finally have Americans reaching their spending limit

August 16, 2026
News

Sid Wilson severs ties with Slipknot in savage social media move after firing

August 16, 2026
News

Wallis Simpson and her royal hubby left the high life to pretend to be ‘everyday people’ in America — sound familiar?

August 16, 2026
News

US probe on Mark Walter focused on four intermediaries, WSJ says

August 16, 2026
BBC asks U.S. court to help get testimony from Ivanka Trump, Jared Kushner and Don Jr., saying they have ‘personal knowledge’ on defamation claims

BBC asks U.S. court to help get testimony from Ivanka Trump, Jared Kushner and Don Jr., saying they have ‘personal knowledge’ on defamation claims

August 16, 2026
Mockery as Nancy Mace debuts new tattooed look on YouTube: ‘We’re living in a simulation’

Mockery as Nancy Mace debuts new tattooed look on YouTube: ‘We’re living in a simulation’

August 16, 2026
Dodgers drop measuring-stick series vs. Brewers, but ‘the real tell’ will be in October

Dodgers drop measuring-stick series vs. Brewers, but ‘the real tell’ will be in October

August 16, 2026

DNYUZ © 2026

No Result
View All Result

DNYUZ © 2026