DNYUZ
No Result
View All Result
DNYUZ
No Result
View All Result
DNYUZ
Home News

LA DA Nathan Hochman says 81 percent of claims in $4B sex abuse settlement may be ‘fraudulent’

June 12, 2026
in News
LA DA Nathan Hochman says 81 percent of claims in $4B sex abuse settlement may be ‘fraudulent’

Los Angeles County District Attorney Nathan Hochman said that 81 percent of claims in a $4 billion settlement for sex abuse victims — the largest in US history – may be fraudulent.

Nathan Hochman urged a Los Angeles County Superior Court judge to stop payments until Dec. 31 amid an ongoing criminal investigation, which was launched in November last year, according to a motion filed on Thursday

“The District Attorney’s Office believes the percentage of fraudulent claims in the related lawsuits seeking funds from this settlement may be as high as 81 percent,” Hochman’s office wrote in the court papers, which were viewed by The Post.

Los Angeles District Attorney Nathan Hochman speaking at a podium.
Nathan Hochman is calling for payments relating to a $4 billion settlement for sex abuse victims to be paused. Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office

“I have filed this application with the interests of the real victims in mind,” Hochman added.

“This intervention is critical to safeguarding the rights of the legitimate child abuse survivors, including preserving the integrity of the settlement process. 

“It will also help ensure that individuals who have allegedly filed fraudulent claims are held accountable for exploiting the horrific abuse and trauma experienced by genuine survivors.”

A hearing is set to take place on Monday at 8:30 a.m. at the Stanley Mosk Courthouse in Los Angeles. 

Hochman filed the motion – one year after the LA County Board of Supervisors chiefs agreed to pay out to more than 11,000 claims of sexual abuse from victims previously in custody at juvenile halls, foster homes and children’s shelters. 

The agreement reached in April 2025 surpassed the $2.6 billion sexual abuse settlement reached with the Boy Scouts of America in 2022.

Two beds in a bedroom, with stuffed animals on the end of the bed in the foreground.
The settlement pays out to those sexually abused in juvenile halls and children’s shelters. NBC4

The claims relate to abuse allegations dating back to 1959, but the majority of cases range between the 1980s and 2000s, according to Los Angeles County officials

The sexual abuse is alleged to have taken place at Probation Department facilities and the now-closed MacLaren’s Children’s center.

Victims were able to sue because of a law that came into force in 2020 which suspended the statute of limitations for childhood sex abuse victims to bring cases for three years.

“While no amount of money can erase the horrors that they endured, this agreement acknowledges the profound harm inflicted on thousands of children over the course of decades,” Adam Slater, an attorney for one of the plaintiffs, said. 

“These people are living with a lifelong injury that will never heal,” Patrick McNicholas, who represents 1,200 plaintiffs, told NBC LA.

“This is a chance for them to be recognized to obtain some closure and hopefully to move forward.”

But the settlement’s total sparked controversy after it emerged Los Angeles County officials would pay the vast sum.

Kathryn Barger, a LA County Supervisor, claimed the settlement’s expense affected the government’s ability to negotiate labor contracts.

Hochman opened the criminal investigation in November last year after claiming there was a rise in potential fraudulent claims as a result of the statute of limitations being expanded.

“False reporting of sexual abuse undermines our entire justice system and is a grave disservice to actual victims who have already suffered unspeakable trauma,” he said in November last year, announcing the criminal probe.

“My Office is taking the allegations seriously that some individuals were paid cash to have law firms file false sexual abuse claims against the County. This is criminal conduct that abuses the law and steals from victims and taxpayers.

“My Office unequivocally stands with survivors, not greedy opportunists who profit from others’ pain. 

With Post wires.

The post LA DA Nathan Hochman says 81 percent of claims in $4B sex abuse settlement may be ‘fraudulent’ appeared first on New York Post.

Venezuela abandoning the bolivar and adopting the U.S. dollar would be the biggest currency switch since the advent of the euro, Hanke says
News

Venezuela abandoning the bolivar and adopting the U.S. dollar would be the biggest currency switch since the advent of the euro, Hanke says

by Fortune
August 23, 2026

Steve Hanke earned the moniker “Money Doctor” after advising governments across the globe on how to use currencies to get ...

Read more
News

‘Yellowstone’ copyright lawsuit accuses Taylor Sheridan of stealing show’s concept

August 23, 2026
News

Taylor Swift enjoys girls’ night out with Dakota Johnson in LA nearly 2 months after Travis Kelce wedding

August 23, 2026
News

Woman dies after plunging her SUV into Long Island swimming pool

August 23, 2026
News

Violent Extremist Who Targeted Young People Online Is Sentenced to 77 Years

August 23, 2026
At Olympics-like event, Chinese robots smash athletic records set by humans — including Usain Bolt’s 100-meter sprint time

At Olympics-like event, Chinese robots smash athletic records set by humans — including Usain Bolt’s 100-meter sprint time

August 23, 2026
SpaceX is hiring in natural gas trading for energy needs

SpaceX is hiring in natural gas trading for energy needs

August 22, 2026
Soldier’s wife hauled off by ICE during green card appointment: ‘Really betrayed’

Advocates celebrate major ‘victory’ against Trump admin’s ‘unlawful and racist’ policy

August 22, 2026

DNYUZ © 2026

No Result
View All Result

DNYUZ © 2026