DNYUZ
No Result
View All Result
DNYUZ
No Result
View All Result
DNYUZ
Home News

Head of W.H.O. Defends Its Response to Ebola Outbreak

May 20, 2026
in News
Head of W.H.O. Defends Its Response to Ebola Outbreak

The head of the World Health Organization on Wednesday defended its response to the fast-moving Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of Congo and Uganda amid criticism that the agency had acted too slowly.

Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, the W.H.O.’s director-general, said at a news conference that over the weekend, he had taken the unprecedented step of declaring the outbreak a “public health emergency of international concern” himself, before an agency committee had met.

His comments came after Agence France-Presse quoted the U.S. secretary of state, Marco Rubio, as saying on Tuesday that the W.H.O. — from which the United States formally withdrew in January — had been late to identify the Ebola outbreak. The New York Times has not confirmed that Mr. Rubio made the remarks as quoted.

Asked about Mr. Rubio’s reported comments on Wednesday, Dr. Tedros said they may have reflected a “lack of understanding” about how the W.H.O. functions. “We don’t replace the country’s work, we only support them,” he said, referring to the health authorities in countries where an outbreak begins.

Dr. Tedros said that the number of suspected cases in the Ebola outbreak had risen to nearly 600, including 139 deaths. The outbreak could last for months, and many more people in central Africa may be infected than have been reported, global health officials have said.

Dr. Tedros said that while health officials in Congo had a track record of quickly identifying and responding to Ebola outbreaks, the conditions around this one, including a recent surge in violent conflict, had made the situation “more complex.”

The United States’ termination of funding to the W.H.O. deprived the organization of its biggest funding source and saw it scramble to cut its 2026-27 budget by $500 million. The Trump administration also shut down the U.S. Agency for International Development last year, an organization that has played a major role in containing previous outbreaks. The United States also cut funding for the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

These actions “have resulted in the fundamental weakening of the W.H.O. for surveillance, staffing, logistics, laboratory support and rapid response coordination across multiple countries,” said Dr. Peter Chin-Hong, an infectious diseases specialist at the University of California, San Francisco.

The outbreak is centered in Congo’s northeastern Ituri province, where there are large numbers of people who are displaced by conflict and many migrant laborers drawn to its gold mines.

Local officials have said equipment in the province could only test for the most common species of Ebola, known as Zaire, not the Bundibugyo species responsible for the current outbreak, which meant early results returned negative readings. Diagnostic kits capable of identifying Bundibugyo were flown in over the weekend, a W.H.O. representative said.

On Tuesday, the State Department announced that it would fund up to 50 treatment clinics and cover associated frontline costs in Congo and Uganda, to provide emergency Ebola screening, triage and isolation capacity.

Lynsey Chutel is a Times reporter based in London who covers breaking news in Africa, the Middle East and Europe.

The post Head of W.H.O. Defends Its Response to Ebola Outbreak appeared first on New York Times.

Our 5-year-old son was sad when we moved from LA to Kentucky. We helped him through the change by focusing on the positives.
News

Our 5-year-old son was sad when we moved from LA to Kentucky. We helped him through the change by focusing on the positives.

by Business Insider
May 20, 2026

The author (not pictured) and her family moved from LA to Kentucky when her son was 5. Jose Luis Pelaez ...

Read more
News

Trump told by GOP they won’t spend a dime on his candidate: ‘You broke it, you bought it’

May 20, 2026
News

Fiscal conservative drops warning: ‘A fire alarm is going off and everyone is ignoring it’

May 20, 2026
News

Saying ‘No’ to an American Loyalty Test

May 20, 2026
News

Californian sues Fashion Nova for early-morning promotional texts

May 20, 2026
CEOs are handing out AI tokens like paychecks—and figuring out how to justify the spend

CEOs are handing out AI tokens like paychecks—and figuring out how to justify the spend

May 20, 2026
The climate apocalypse? Don’t count on it.

The climate apocalypse? Don’t count on it.

May 20, 2026
L.A.’s democratic socialists look to boost their clout in City Hall

L.A.’s democratic socialists look to boost their clout in City Hall

May 20, 2026

DNYUZ © 2026

No Result
View All Result

DNYUZ © 2026