DNYUZ
No Result
View All Result
DNYUZ
No Result
View All Result
DNYUZ
Home News

Latest militant attacks on schools in Nigeria leave more than 80 children missing, officials say

May 17, 2026
in News
Latest militant attacks on schools in Nigeria leave more than 80 children missing, officials say

ABUJA, Nigeria — A wave of militant attacks on schools in Nigeria over the last week has resulted in more than 80 children gone missing, local officials and a rights group said Sunday, the latest in school abductions in the West African country where the government is battling an array of jihadi and other armed groups.

The attackers targeted a primary school in the war-torn state of Borno, in Nigeria’s northeastern corner, sometime between Wednesday and Thursday. The militants abducted 42 children there, in the Askira Uba and Chibok areas.

Amnesty International said that attack took place in the village of Mussa near Sambisa Forest, a stronghold of militants from Boko Haram and its splinter group, an Islamic State affiliate known as the Islamic State West Africa Province.

Across the country, two secondary schools in the southwestern Oyo state were attacked hours apart Friday, and at least 40 children were abducted there, according to Amnesty’s Nigeria branch. Such abductions are rare in that area.

The rights group warned Sunday that the threat of abduction is forcing many children out of school, while underage girls are being pulled out of classrooms and forced into marriage by families seeking to protect them from school attacks.

Peter Wabba, a government official from Mussa, said Sunday that he was told that 48 children had been abducted in Oyo.

“The government is assuring us that they are doing their … best to see that these children are rescued, but up till now, we are still waiting,” he told the Associated Press.

Amnesty also said that the authorities “never fulfill promises to investigate the incidents and bring the perpetrators to justice.”

“Victims and their families continue to be denied access to justice,” it said.

On Saturday, police spokesperson Ayanlade Olayinka told the AP that three gunmen were detained in connection with the Oyo attack, which took place in the Oriire area, about 135 miles from Lagos, Nigeria’s largest city.

The suspects were identified by the community and arrested, Olayinka said. Police did not say whether they were searching for more suspects.

Abductions of schoolchildren are common in Nigeria, Africa’s most populous nation, especially in the country’s north. Last year, two mass abductions from schools rocked the nation, with more than 300 children taken in the northern region.

School kidnappings have come to define the lack of security in Nigeria, and analysts say it’s often because armed gangs see schools as strategic targets they can exploit to draw attention.

Shibayan writes for the Associated Press.

The post Latest militant attacks on schools in Nigeria leave more than 80 children missing, officials say appeared first on Los Angeles Times.

After years abroad, they retired in Thailand instead of returning to the US. They pay $870 for a 3-bedroom.
News

After years abroad, they retired in Thailand instead of returning to the US. They pay $870 for a 3-bedroom.

by Business Insider
May 17, 2026

After living abroad for eight years, Kevin Elliott and his wife, Camille, decided to retire in Thailand rather than return ...

Read more
News

Successful NC brewery forced to rebrand after owner, 44, charged with raping 13-year-old girl

May 17, 2026
News

Britney spears slaps her butt while dancing in hot pink mini dress following reported restaurant drama

May 17, 2026
News

Hawaii’s worst flooding in 20 years leaves farmers struggling and fewer veggies at markets

May 17, 2026
News

Seattle’s Socialist Mayor Taunts the Rich as Rift With Starbucks Widens

May 17, 2026
Four crew members eject safely after two Navy jets crash during Idaho air show

Four crew members eject safely after two Navy jets crash during Idaho air show

May 17, 2026
NextEra Energy Said to Be in Talks to Acquire Dominion, Creating a Utility Giant

NextEra Energy Said to Be in Talks to Acquire Dominion, Creating a Utility Giant

May 17, 2026
Kristof’s libelous Israel smears: Letters to the Editor — May 18, 2026

Kristof’s libelous Israel smears: Letters to the Editor — May 18, 2026

May 17, 2026

DNYUZ © 2026

No Result
View All Result

DNYUZ © 2026