DNYUZ
No Result
View All Result
DNYUZ
No Result
View All Result
DNYUZ
Home News

International turtle trafficking plot sees California man facing federal charges

May 16, 2026
in News
International turtle trafficking plot sees California man facing federal charges

A Daly City man suspected of purchasing and exporting hundreds of poached turtles from Florida is facing federal wildlife trafficking charges, according to Department of Justice officials.

The agency announced Friday that Donald Do was arrested and charged with submitting false paperwork in an attempt to obtain a permit that would enable him to ship wild and protected turtles to Asia.

Do’s arrest was part of a joint state and federal crackdown called Operation Southern Hot Herps, which was initiated to detect and deter turtle poachers in the southeastern United States engaged in the Asian pet trade.

According the Justice Department, Do and an accomplice tried to export 292 loggerhead musk turtles to Taiwan. The co-conspirator obtained an export permit from the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service based on a false claim by Do that he hatched and raised the turtles.

Loggerhead turtles have large heads and powerful jaws, giving them the ability to feed on hard-shelled prey. They’re found around the globe, mostly in subtropical and temperate regions of the Atlantic, Pacific, and Indian oceans, and in the Mediterranean Sea, according to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration.

After Do obtained the permit, he purchased the turtles, which had been poached from Florida and other areas, informing sellers that he was interested in “wild caught” turtles. The two men also tried to obtain more than 200 freshwater reptiles from Albert Bazaar of Louisiana, who was detained last week on animal trafficking charges, according to officials.

In that case, Bazaar was charged with stealing more than 1,800 wild turtles from Florida streams, selling them to a co-conspirator specializing in the Asian pet market for more than $550,000.

After unsuccessfully exporting the turtles, Do tried to conceal his role by telling his accomplice he had sold them to other domestic buyers, said authorities.

The plot by Do, officials said, was a violation of the Lacey Act, which bans trafficking in fish, wildlife, or plants illegally taken, possessed, transported or sold.

Do pleaded not guilty at a May 13 court hearing before U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California Magistrate Judge Thomas S. Hixon. He’s next scheduled to appear in federal court in San Francisco at a July 31 status hearing, according to court records.

If convicted, Do faces a maximum penalty of five years in prison and a $250,000 fine on each of the conspiracy and Lacey Act charges.

The post International turtle trafficking plot sees California man facing federal charges appeared first on Los Angeles Times.

Harrowing video shows US Marshals plunge several feet when deck collapses at home of convicted sex offender
News

Harrowing video shows US Marshals plunge several feet when deck collapses at home of convicted sex offender

by New York Post
August 19, 2026

Harrowing bodycam footage captured US Marshals plunging several feet to the ground after the wooden deck they were standing on ...

Read more
News

Hayden Panettiere’s boyfriend Brian Hickerson allegedly sent threatening texts after 2020 arrest: Read them here

August 19, 2026
News

Tom Holland poised to make a whopping $100M+ for ‘Spider-Man: Brand New Day’

August 19, 2026
News

San Diego’s famous Wonder Bread factory is getting a surprising new second act

August 19, 2026
News

Trump’s gambit with ‘despotic dictator’ alarms analysts over costly backfire: WSJ

August 19, 2026
Florida voters, hungry for change, snub Dem establishment and even Trump

Florida voters, hungry for change, snub Dem establishment and even Trump

August 19, 2026
Director Griff Furst Under Fire for ‘Dark’ Energy Remark About Hayden Panettiere After Her Death

Director Griff Furst Under Fire for ‘Dark’ Energy Remark About Hayden Panettiere After Her Death

August 19, 2026
ABC sues FCC, claiming First Amendment violations, escalating months-long feud

ABC sues FCC, claiming First Amendment violations, escalating months-long feud

August 19, 2026

DNYUZ © 2026

No Result
View All Result

DNYUZ © 2026