DNYUZ
No Result
View All Result
DNYUZ
No Result
View All Result
DNYUZ
Home News

Protester Who Spent 6 Days Perched Atop Bridge in Washington Comes Down

May 6, 2026
in News
Protester Who Spent 6 Days Perched Atop Bridge in Washington Comes Down

A lone demonstrator who climbed atop an arch of the Frederick Douglass Memorial Bridge in Washington to protest war and artificial intelligence — and stayed there for six days, captivating onlookers in the nation’s capital — has come down, authorities said on Wednesday.

The man, Guido Reichstadter, 45, first mounted the arch on May 1 as protesters rallied elsewhere in the city for anti-billionaire demonstrations. After finishing his climb, Mr. Reichstadter pitched a tent and unfolded a black banner that he has described as a symbol of mourning for civilians killed in the U.S.-Israel war in Iran.

Vito Maggiolo, a spokesman with the city’s fire department, said Wednesday that firefighters had worked with local police to safely remove Mr. Reichstadter from the bridge.

From there, Mr. Reichstadter was transported to a hospital for observation, Mr. Maggiolo said, though there was no indication Mr. Reichstadter had any serious medical issues after descending.

The Metropolitan Police did not immediately return a request for comment on Wednesday. Neither did Mr. Reichstadter.

In an interview with The Times on Tuesday from his perch over the Anacostia River, Mr. Reichstadter, a former jeweler and the father of two, said he had initially planned to hold his place atop the arch only through the weekend. On Sunday, he signaled on social media that he would come down shortly.

But he reversed course soon after, and even after running out of food and water, he chose to remain atop the southeastern shore arch, one of three arches that make up the 1,600-foot bridge that opened in 2021.

On Tuesday, Mr. Reichstadter said he was expecting rain the following day, an indication it might be time to dismount. Later that evening, he posted on social media that he planned to leave in the morning.

“My water ran out Sunday & I’m heading down in the morning,” Mr. Reichstadter wrote. “I’ll probably be going to jail for a while when I get down.”

This time, he stayed true to his word.

The rain had already started to fall in Washington on Wednesday morning when Mr. Reichstadter left the bridge. Video posted to social media shows him descending from the arch via an internal passageway and meeting law enforcement waiting in a bucket lift further down.

JoAnna Daemmrich contributed reporting.

Chris Hippensteel is a reporter covering breaking news and a member of the 2025-26 Times Fellowship class, a program for journalists early in their careers.

The post Protester Who Spent 6 Days Perched Atop Bridge in Washington Comes Down appeared first on New York Times.

‘Missing’ Epstein files containing major allegations against Trump discovered: report
News

‘Missing’ Epstein files containing major allegations against Trump discovered: report

by Raw Story
August 23, 2026

Supposed FBI files that have previously been referred to as “missing” were recently discovered sitting on an online document-sharing platform, ...

Read more
News

Dramatic moment cops save 5 dogs nearly cooked alive in hot car

August 23, 2026
News

Pro-Israel Group Calls for Mark Ruffalo Boycott Until He Apologizes, Retracts ‘Antisemitic’ Ellison Remarks

August 23, 2026
News

Venezuela abandoning the bolivar and adopting the U.S. dollar would be the biggest currency switch since the advent of the euro, Hanke says

August 23, 2026
News

‘Yellowstone’ copyright lawsuit accuses Taylor Sheridan of stealing show’s concept

August 23, 2026
Taylor Swift enjoys girls’ night out with Dakota Johnson in LA nearly 2 months after Travis Kelce wedding

Taylor Swift enjoys girls’ night out with Dakota Johnson in LA nearly 2 months after Travis Kelce wedding

August 23, 2026
Woman dies after plunging her SUV into Long Island swimming pool

Woman dies after plunging her SUV into Long Island swimming pool

August 23, 2026
Violent Extremist Who Targeted Young People Online Is Sentenced to 77 Years

Violent Extremist Who Targeted Young People Online Is Sentenced to 77 Years

August 23, 2026

DNYUZ © 2026

No Result
View All Result

DNYUZ © 2026