announced on Sunday that it plans to expand its immigration crackdown in the midwestern city of Chicago, despite opposition from local leaders.
Department of Homeland Security (DHS) Secretary Kristi Noem made the announcement on the heels of the .
“We’ve already had ongoing operations with ICE in Chicago… but we do intend to add more resources to those operations,” Noem said during an appearance at US broadcaster CBS News’ “Face the Nation.”
Noem did not provide any more details about which federal authorities would go to Chicago or when they would be deployed.
Last week, the DHS reportedly requested limited logistical support from officials at a military installation about 56 kilometers (35 miles) north of Chicago, a move that prompted criticism from local leaders.
Trump has criticized Chicago Mayor Brandon Johnson and Illinois Governor JB Pritzker, warning Pritzker in a social media post on Saturday to straighten out Chicago’s crime problems quickly “or we’re coming.”
Pritzker calls deployments ‘an invasion’
The city of Chicago is the third largest in the US and it is home to a large immigrant population.
Led by Democratic politicians, the city has some of the country’s strongest rules against cooperating with federal government immigration enforcement efforts.
Both Johnson and Pritzker have rejected the potential for federal mobilization and have said they plan to sue if Trump moves forward with the plan.
“So it’s clear that, in secret, they’re planning this, well, it’s an invasion with US troops, if they in fact do that,” Pritzker told “Face the Nation” on Sunday.
“National Guard troops, any kind of troops, on the streets of an American city don’t belong unless there is an insurrection, unless there is truly an emergency,” Pritzker added.
Mayor bars police cooperation with ICE
For his part, Johnson signed an order barring the Chicago Police Department from helping federal authorities with civil immigration enforcement or any related patrols, traffic stops and checkpoints during their stay in the city.
“This is about making sure that we are prepared,” he told reporters as he signed the order, adding that the order aimed to offer “real, clear guidance” to city government workers and “all the Chicagoans of how we can stand up against this tyranny.”
Under the order, city police must wear their official uniforms, continue to identify themselves, and follow body camera procedures. They are not allowed to wear masks to clearly distinguish themselves from any federal agents.
Edited by: Kieran Burke
The post US: Trump sending more ICE resources to Chicago appeared first on Deutsche Welle.