DNYUZ
  • Home
  • News
    • U.S.
    • World
    • Politics
    • Opinion
    • Business
    • Crime
    • Education
    • Environment
    • Science
  • Entertainment
    • Culture
    • Music
    • Movie
    • Television
    • Theater
    • Gaming
    • Sports
  • Tech
    • Apps
    • Autos
    • Gear
    • Mobile
    • Startup
  • Lifestyle
    • Arts
    • Fashion
    • Food
    • Health
    • Travel
No Result
View All Result
DNYUZ
No Result
View All Result
Home News

Before Minnesota Shooting, a Program Aimed at Preventing Attacks Lost Federal Funding

August 30, 2025
in News
Before Minnesota Shooting, a Program Aimed at Preventing Attacks Lost Federal Funding
495
SHARES
1.4k
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

Weeks before an assailant opened fire on a Catholic church in Minneapolis, the Trump administration cut funding to a program in Minnesota aimed at preventing acts of mass violence, documents show.

The cancellation of those funds does not appear to have had an impact in the handling of the attack at Annunciation Catholic School that killed two children and injured 18 people. But state officials say the move severely weakens local efforts to identify future threats. The Trump administration said the money was being used to promote a partisan agenda and did not effectively fight those threats.

In July, the Department of Homeland Security announced it was cutting $18.5 million in spending that involved one of its arms called the Center for Prevention Programs and Partnerships, or CP3. The center was introduced during the first few months of the Biden administration and provides grants to state and local law enforcement agencies and other institutions to help recognize and prevent potential terrorist threats. The money also funds mental health services and training programs.

About $700,000 of that money had been designated for the Minnesota Department of Public Safety. The reductions were first reported by CNN.

With that money, the Minnesota agency made plans to create two roles, a special agent and a criminal analyst, jobs that would have been essential in responding to and working to prevent targeted violence and terrorism in the state, according to a letter in July that Bob Jacobson, the DPS commissioner, wrote to the state’s congressional delegation.

“Without this funding, our capacity to protect our communities from targeted violence and terrorism will be significantly diminished,” he wrote.

Since losing the funding, the agency has also canceled a planned statewide training conference and made other adjustments to cover existing expenses, Jill Oliveira, a DPS spokeswoman, said in a statement on Saturday. She added that previous funding helped authorities train law enforcement agencies, schools and faith-based institutions on recognizing and preventing threats of targeted violence.

In its letter notifying the Minnesota Department of Public Safety that the funding had been terminated, a Homeland Security official wrote that the CP3 grants were no longer in line with the agency’s priorities under the Trump administration, which included immigration enforcement, border security and combating antisemitism.

An official with Homeland Security said in a statement on Saturday that grants issued by CP3 were used for “left-wing ideologies and did next to nothing to combat actual threats in our communities.”

The statement continued: “Far from working to end mental illness, under the previous administration many of these grants went to organizations that celebrated and encouraged transgenderism in our children.” The official added that it was “disgusting” for the media to “politicize the deaths of these innocent children.”

When asked if any of its funding had gone toward organizations like those D.H.S. described, Ms. Oliveira said the grants received by the Minnesota Department of Public Safety had gone toward personnel and training expenses.

The funding cuts came five weeks after a gunman attacked state lawmakers, assassinating a state representative and her husband and wounding a state senator and his wife.

Senator Tina Smith, Democrat of Minnesota, who officials say was on the list of targets the gunman possessed in that assassination plot in June, said on Saturday that the canceling of those funds undermined the state’s ability to identify threats like the one at Annunciation.

In secret diaries outlining plans for the attack on the church on Wednesday, the assailant detailed a fear of being flagged as a threat by law enforcement and worked to keep the plot hidden. While stockpiling weapons, the attacker also expressed surprise and sometimes glee over evading detection by authorities.

“This shooting was horrific, and to think we had a strategy in place aimed at preventing this type of violence is tragic,” Ms. Smith said in a statement. “President Trump gets up on his high horse to tout his concerns about public safety and domestic terrorism, but then he and Secretary Noem withhold funding from local leaders who are getting after real threats to houses of worship.”

Earlier this month, Ms. Smith and five other Democratic members of Minnesota’s congressional delegation — Senator Amy Klobuchar and Representatives Betty McCollum, Ilhan Omar, Angie Craig and Kelly Morrison — wrote to Kristi Noem, the Homeland Security secretary, urging her to reverse the cuts, even though the department had said they were not subject to appeal.

In the letter, they cited the dramatic increase in antisemitic and anti-Muslim attacks in the country and said the grant’s cancellation left residents more vulnerable. They also reminded Ms. Noem of the recent assassination, fearful of what was possible: “Given this horrific event, along with targeted violence toward religious organizations and threats at schools, we implore you to immediately reinstate this vital grant.”

Emily Cochrane, Hamed Aleaziz and Julie Bosman contributed reporting.

Chris Hippensteel is a reporter covering breaking news and a member of the 2025-26 Times Fellowship class, a program for journalists early in their careers.

Orlando Mayorquín is a Times reporter covering California. He is based in Los Angeles.

The post Before Minnesota Shooting, a Program Aimed at Preventing Attacks Lost Federal Funding appeared first on New York Times.

Share198Tweet124Share
Rudy Giuliani Hospitalized After Car Crash, But “In Good Spirits And Recovering Tremendously”
News

Rudy Giuliani Hospitalized After Car Crash, But “In Good Spirits And Recovering Tremendously”

by Deadline
August 31, 2025

Former New York City mayor Rudy Giuliani was hospitalized after sustaining serious injuries in a New Hampshire car crash, but ...

Read more
Crime

Trump Administration Continues Touting Success of DC Crime Crackdown

August 31, 2025
News

Jessica Pegula is back in the U.S. Open quarterfinals after a fourth-round romp

August 31, 2025
News

Johnny Manziel: ‘Ain’t nobody scared’ of Alabama after shocking Florida State upset loss

August 31, 2025
News

In Venice, Emma Stone and Jacob Elordi Make Bald Bids for Oscar

August 31, 2025
Curtis Sliwa calls for feral cat ‘colonies’ to claw back at NYC rat problem: ‘Caped crusaders at night’

Curtis Sliwa calls for feral cat ‘colonies’ to claw back at NYC rat problem: ‘Caped crusaders at night’

August 31, 2025
Trump Has Been at His Golf Resorts Every Fourth Day of His Second Term

Trump Has Been at His Golf Resorts Every Fourth Day of His Second Term

August 31, 2025
Immigration boosted Europe’s economy after pandemic, ECB’s Lagarde says

2 adults killed, 7 children injured in ATV accident at Alabama off-road park

August 31, 2025

Copyright © 2025.

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
    • U.S.
    • World
    • Politics
    • Opinion
    • Business
    • Crime
    • Education
    • Environment
    • Science
  • Entertainment
    • Culture
    • Gaming
    • Music
    • Movie
    • Sports
    • Television
    • Theater
  • Tech
    • Apps
    • Autos
    • Gear
    • Mobile
    • Startup
  • Lifestyle
    • Arts
    • Fashion
    • Food
    • Health
    • Travel

Copyright © 2025.