US President has canceled former vice president Kamala Harris’s Secret Service protection, officials said Friday.
US broadcaster CNN reported that Trump sent a signed memo ordering Homeland Security Secretary Kristi Noem to “discontinue any security-related procedures previously authorized by Executive Memorandum, beyond those required by law” for Harris starting September 1.
Harris was under government protection until July 2026 but this will now end on Monday.
Biden had approved protection extension
Ex vice presidents in the US receive Secret Service protection for up to six months after leaving office, but Joe Biden had approved an extension for Harris.
The move to protect Harris for more than the required 6 months was not previously disclosed.
“The Vice President is grateful to the United States Secret Service for their professionalism, dedication, and unwavering commitment to safety,” a senior advisor to Harris told AFP.
Trump’s withdrawal of Harris’ security detail comes as Harris is set to embark on a book tour and despite the current administration having said that public officials need more security in the wake of an assassination attempt on Trump in July 2024.
Book presents ‘behind the scenes’ of campaign
is the first woman to serve as vice president of the US and she became the Democratic presidential nominee after Biden was forced to withdraw from the White House race amid concerns over his age and fitness for office.
She has kept a low profile since she lost the 2024 election to Donald Trump.
In the meantime, the 60-year-old wrote a memoir titled “107 Days,” which is set to be released on September 23 in the US.
Harris is scheduled to go on tour this fall to promote the book which she has said offers an inside look with “candor and reflection” at her short presidential run against Trump.
Edited by: Kieran Burke
The post Trump revokes Kamala Harris’ Secret Service protection appeared first on Deutsche Welle.