TUSCUMBIA, Ala. (WHNT) — The family of a Deshler student and football player who was severely injured at school is asking that people allow the search for answers and justice for him to proceed peacefully.
August Borden, 15, was severely injured at school on Tuesday, Aug. 19. Borden’s mother and stepfather told News 19 that he was airlifted to Birmingham, and after two days in the hospital, he is back home and recovering.
On Friday, his mother, Kristen Van Devender and stepfather, Drew Van Devender, posted a message to social media, which they said was an effort to “touch base with some of the people who are so invested” in Borden’s story.
“Returning violence with violence can only multiply as violence,” Drew Van Devender, Borden’s stepfather, said in a video posted to social media. “Difference of opinion is acceptable and violence is not. Let’s proceed this process peacefully, and let justice prevail for August.”
This message comes after rumors that protests would take place at Friday’s football game between Deshler and Hatton High School, and security measures were heightened.
The Colbert County Sheriff’s Office told News 19 that metal detectors and a clear bag policy will be implemented at the Aug. 29 game at Deshler High. Additionally, no fan will be allowed on the field.
Initially, the Tuscumbia Police Department was leading the investigation into the situation that led to Borden’s injuries. However, as of Thursday evening, the case had been transferred to the Franklin County Juvenile Probation office. The Madison County District Attorney’s Office will be assisting.
The post ‘Let justice prevail for August’: Injured Deshler student’s family asks for peace during search for answers appeared first on WHNT.