DNYUZ
  • Home
  • News
    • U.S.
    • World
    • Politics
    • Opinion
    • Business
    • Crime
    • Education
    • Environment
    • Science
  • Entertainment
    • Culture
    • Music
    • Movie
    • Television
    • Theater
    • Gaming
    • Sports
  • Tech
    • Apps
    • Autos
    • Gear
    • Mobile
    • Startup
  • Lifestyle
    • Arts
    • Fashion
    • Food
    • Health
    • Travel
No Result
View All Result
DNYUZ
No Result
View All Result
Home News Crime

Irish missionary among the eight released after Haiti orphanage kidnapping

August 29, 2025
in Crime, News
Irish missionary among the eight released after Haiti orphanage kidnapping
494
SHARES
1.4k
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

Eight people, including an Irish missionary and a three-year-old child, have been released following a kidnapping at an orphanage in Haiti.

The announcement on Friday ended nearly a month of captivity for the group, which included Irish missionary Gena Heraty, the director of a special needs programme for children and adults at the Saint-Helene orphanage.

“We warmly welcome the news that Gena and all of the Haitian nationals taken captive on [August 3], including a small child, have been released and are reported to be safe and well,” Ireland’s Foreign Affairs Minister Simon Harris said in a statement posted on X.

Kidnappings and ransoms have become increasingly common in Haiti, where gang violence has surged amid overlapping political, humanitarian and security crises.

The targeted orphanage was located in the southeast of the capital, Port-au-Prince, where the United Nations estimates gangs control nearly 90 percent of the territory.

Run by the international charity Nos Petits Freres et Soeurs, the orphanage cares for more than 240 children, according to its website.

Further details of the release were not immediately available. No group claimed responsibility for the attack on the school in early August, although the area is controlled by the Viv Ansanm gang federation.

In a statement, Heraty’s family said they were “relieved beyond words”.

“We continue to hold Haiti in our hearts and hope for peace and safety for all those who are affected by the ongoing armed violence and insecurity there,” they wrote.

In April 2021, two French priests were among 10 people kidnapped by the “400 Mawozo” gang before they were released nearly three weeks later.

The gang took 17 American and Canadian missionaries hostage from a bus six months later.

Friday’s release came as the UN Security Council began talks to bolster a floundering international police force deployed to Haiti starting in June 2024 to counter the rising violence.

Just under 1,000 personnel, mostly Kenyan, are currently in the country as part of the US-backed mission, a number far below the 2,500 troops originally expected.

A draft proposal, put forth by the US and Panama this week, seeks to transition the mission into a so-called “Gang Suppression Force”.

The proposal would authorise a deployment of up to 5,500 personnel and establish a UN office in Port-au-Prince to provide “full logistical support” for rations, fuel, medical services, ground transportation and surveillance from drones.

It further laid out a plan to encourage more voluntary funding and resources, but the draft did not directly address the current mission’s lagging support. Earlier this month, the UN said its effort to bring stability to Haiti was less than 10 percent funded.

UN missions remain controversial in Haiti, with past deployments resulting in a sexual abuse scandal and cholera epidemic that killed more than 9,000 people.

Still, the country’s leaders have requested external help as violence and displacement have surged.

The UN High Commissioner for Human Rights has said at least 3,141 people have been killed in Haiti in the first half of this year.

On Thursday, the head of the United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF) reported that a “staggering” 50 percent of gang members and participants in the country were children.

The post Irish missionary among the eight released after Haiti orphanage kidnapping appeared first on Al Jazeera.

Share198Tweet124Share
Mayes orders Arizona’s top education official to end automatic ESA approval of requests under $2K
Education

Mayes orders Arizona’s top education official to end automatic ESA approval of requests under $2K

by KTAR
August 29, 2025

PHOENIX — Arizona’s top education official and the state’s attorney general are clashing over the empowerment scholarship accounts (ESA) program. ...

Read more
News

Newsom launches statewide task force to clear homeless encampments

August 29, 2025
News

Trump Throws Tantrum as ‘Beautiful’ Tariffs Ruled Illegal

August 29, 2025
News

Do Bulls Already Have Franchise Cornerstone on Roster? Insider Weighs In

August 29, 2025
News

Cubs Urged To Add $21 Million Veteran Hurler After Red Sox Release

August 29, 2025
Jessica Simpson and Eric Johnson spark reconciliation speculation with Vegas getaway

Jessica Simpson and Eric Johnson spark reconciliation speculation with Vegas getaway

August 29, 2025
Tom Homan says Trump administration has located 23,000 of the 300,000 migrant children lost under Biden administration

Tom Homan says Trump administration has located 23,000 of the 300,000 migrant children lost under Biden administration

August 29, 2025
A Trump-Brokered Peace Deal in the South Caucasus Is Hopeful but Incomplete

A Trump-Brokered Peace Deal in the South Caucasus Is Hopeful but Incomplete

August 29, 2025

Copyright © 2025.

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
    • U.S.
    • World
    • Politics
    • Opinion
    • Business
    • Crime
    • Education
    • Environment
    • Science
  • Entertainment
    • Culture
    • Gaming
    • Music
    • Movie
    • Sports
    • Television
    • Theater
  • Tech
    • Apps
    • Autos
    • Gear
    • Mobile
    • Startup
  • Lifestyle
    • Arts
    • Fashion
    • Food
    • Health
    • Travel

Copyright © 2025.