DW Director General Peter Limbourg on Friday called on the Israeli government to ensure the safety of all journalists after Israeli soldiers fired tear gas directly at a DW crew in the , earlier this week.
DW team targeted in Ramallah
Senior International Correspondent Fanny Facsar was in Ramallah on Tuesday with a DW cameraman and a local colleague, documenting the risks faced by media professionals in the occupied West Bank, when Israeli soldiers aimed their weapons at them, despite the crew wearing protective gear clearly marked “PRESS.”
Soldiers fired tear gas, hitting the group. Nobody was injured in the incident.
Attacks ‘absolutely unacceptable’ — DW Director General
“The repeated attacks on our journalists in the West Bank are absolutely unacceptable. There is no justification for threatening press representatives — neither by the military nor by radical settlers,” Limbourg said.
“We call on the Israeli government to ensure the safety of all journalists. and the protection of media professionals are fundamental pillars of any democracy,” Limbourg stressed.
DW said in a statement that it would continue to report on developments in the region and advocate for the safety of its staff and for press freedom worldwide.
The incident in Ramallah comes after another DW correspondent and cameraman came under attack by Israeli settlers in the West Bank village of Sinjil, earlier in July. Both were wearing jackets marked “PRESS.”
The settlers threw stones and chased the team. Both journalists managed to get away unharmed, but their car was badly damaged.
The post DW chief condemns ‘unacceptable’ attack on journalists appeared first on Deutsche Welle.