DNYUZ
  • Home
  • News
    • U.S.
    • World
    • Politics
    • Opinion
    • Business
    • Crime
    • Education
    • Environment
    • Science
  • Entertainment
    • Culture
    • Music
    • Movie
    • Television
    • Theater
    • Gaming
    • Sports
  • Tech
    • Apps
    • Autos
    • Gear
    • Mobile
    • Startup
  • Lifestyle
    • Arts
    • Fashion
    • Food
    • Health
    • Travel
No Result
View All Result
DNYUZ
No Result
View All Result
Home News World Africa

Millions of children at risk across Africa as aid cuts impact food supplies

August 28, 2025
in Africa, Food, News
Millions of children at risk across Africa as aid cuts impact food supplies
492
SHARES
1.4k
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

Millions of children across four African countries could die of malnutrition in the next three months, Save the Children has warned, as emergency food supplies dwindle as a result of international aid cuts.

Save the Children said on Thursday that Nigeria, Kenya, Somalia and South Sudan were expected to run out of so-called “ready-to-use therapeutic food” (RUTF), a nutritional paste that has a long shelf life and does not need refrigeration.

In Nigeria alone, the lives of 3.5 million children under age five who are suffering from severe acute malnutrition will be under threat without access to treatment and nutrition support, the humanitarian group said.

“Imagine being a parent with a severely malnourished child,” Yvonne Arunga, Save the Children’s regional director for East and Southern Africa, said in a statement.

“Now imagine that the only thing that could help your child bounce back from the brink of death is therapeutic food and that food is out of stock when it was once available.”

The warning comes just months after the United Nations announced sweeping programme cuts in June amid what the UN’s humanitarian office described as “the deepest funding cuts ever to hit the international humanitarian sector”.

“We have been forced into a triage of human survival,” UN aid chief Tom Fletcher said at the time.

“The math is cruel, and the consequences are heartbreaking. Too many people will not get the support they need, but we will save as many lives as we can with the resources we are given.”

Key international donors, led notably by the United States, have drastically scaled back foreign aid funding, leading to widespread concern that critical aid – from food and healthcare to poverty reduction – will be affected in countries around the world.

In July, as part of US President Donald Trump’s push to scale back federal spending, Congress approved a package that slashed the country’s foreign aid expenditures by about $8bn.

Last month, Doctors Without Borders (known by its French acronym MSF) reported that at least 652 malnourished children had died at its facilities in northern Nigeria in the first half of 2025 due to a lack of timely care.

“We are currently witnessing massive budget cuts, particularly from the United States, the United Kingdom, and other European countries, which are having a real impact on the treatment of malnourished children,” said Ahmed Aldikhari, MSF’s country representative in Nigeria.

On Thursday, Save the Children said staff at one of its clinics in northwestern Kenya have been forced to try to get food from other facilities to help feed malnourished children.

“And if [the children] are not supported, I know very soon [we] will be losing them,” said Sister Winnie, who runs the facility in Turkana.

About 105,000 RUTF cartons are needed through the end of the year across Kenya, Save the Children said, but only about 79,000 have been secured so far, with stocks expected to run out in October.

The group said that overall, shortfalls in nutrition funding could cut off treatment to 15.6 million people in 18 countries around the world, including more than 2.3 million severely malnourished children this year.

The situation is expected to deteriorate further in 2026, it added.

The post Millions of children at risk across Africa as aid cuts impact food supplies appeared first on Al Jazeera.

Share197Tweet123Share
US offers military funeral honors to Capitol rioter Ashli Babbitt
News

US offers military funeral honors to Capitol rioter Ashli Babbitt

by KTAR
August 28, 2025

WASHINGTON (AP) — The U.S. government is offering military funeral honors for Ashli Babbitt, the rioter who was killed at ...

Read more
News

California High-Speed Rail announces accelerated timeline for milestone work

August 28, 2025
News

He quit his 6-figure tech job in his 20s to run a funeral business with his wife. It changed how he sees work and life.

August 28, 2025
Football

How to Watch Miami (OH) vs Wisconsin: Live Stream College Football, TV Channel

August 28, 2025
News

Jordan Love, Trevor Lawrence Contracts Bring Harsh Criticism From Anonymous NFL Executive

August 28, 2025
Travis Kelce’s new Kansas City restaurant features sweet nod to Taylor Swift love song

Travis Kelce’s new Kansas City restaurant features sweet nod to Taylor Swift love song

August 28, 2025
Judge Orders New Federal Trial in Tyre Nichols Case

Judge Orders New Federal Trial in Tyre Nichols Case

August 28, 2025
China’s Military Parade Is a Powerful Diplomatic Display

China’s Military Parade Is a Powerful Diplomatic Display

August 28, 2025

Copyright © 2025.

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
    • U.S.
    • World
    • Politics
    • Opinion
    • Business
    • Crime
    • Education
    • Environment
    • Science
  • Entertainment
    • Culture
    • Gaming
    • Music
    • Movie
    • Sports
    • Television
    • Theater
  • Tech
    • Apps
    • Autos
    • Gear
    • Mobile
    • Startup
  • Lifestyle
    • Arts
    • Fashion
    • Food
    • Health
    • Travel

Copyright © 2025.