DNYUZ
  • Home
  • News
    • U.S.
    • World
    • Politics
    • Opinion
    • Business
    • Crime
    • Education
    • Environment
    • Science
  • Entertainment
    • Culture
    • Music
    • Movie
    • Television
    • Theater
    • Gaming
    • Sports
  • Tech
    • Apps
    • Autos
    • Gear
    • Mobile
    • Startup
  • Lifestyle
    • Arts
    • Fashion
    • Food
    • Health
    • Travel
No Result
View All Result
DNYUZ
No Result
View All Result
Home News

Disney Sues Sling TV, Saying Its New Mini-Bundles Violate Carriage Deal Terms

August 26, 2025
in News
Disney Sues Sling TV, Saying Its New Mini-Bundles Violate Carriage Deal Terms
492
SHARES
1.4k
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

EXCLUSIVE: The Walt Disney Co. is suing Dish Network‘s digital subsidiary Sling TV, alleging that the pay-TV service included its networks without permission in a new suite of short-term packages.

Earlier this month, Sling unveiled “passes” offering access to its full bundle for a day, weekend or full week. The mini-bundles start at $4.99, a fraction of the usual minimum of $45.99 a month for a regular Sling subscription. They were rolled out at the start of college football and the NFL season as many consumers are taking stock of viewing options.

“Sling TV’s new offerings, which they made available without our knowledge or consent, violate the terms of our existing license agreement,” a Disney spokesperson said in a statement provided to Deadline. “We have asked the court to require Dish to comply with our deal when it distributes our programming.”

In the suit, which was filed Tuesday evening in U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York, Disney alleges that Sling never once consulted the media giant about the move. The incremental packages have the potential to alter the TV landscape by giving consumers and easy on- and off-ramp to access programming. Beyond sports, it also could have applications for award shows like the Oscars or other entertainment or news programming.

The level of intentionally elevated churn that could result from the micro-bundles contradicts decades of precedent in the pay-TV business, where 2-year contracts long prevailed. Only in the streaming era have those long-term agreements (complete with cumbersome physical equipment) started to ease. Nevertheless, programmers still generally look for operators to offer their content for at least a month.

Sling’s new initiative is its latest jab at the status quo, though the pay-TV operations inside parent company EchoStar have dwindled amid a strategic pivot to the wireless telecom business. About a decade ago, the company launched the Hopper, a DVR that automatically skipped ads. While the new offering delighted many customers, it alienated network owners and their advertisers. Multiple media companies sued over the technology, resulting in a settlement in 2016.

Charlie Ergen, who co-founded Dish and is chairman of EchoStar’s board of directors, was known for his pugnacious and erratic approach to negotiating carriage deals when he directly oversaw Dish as CEO. Sling currently does not carry CBS as a result of that aggressive stance, and prominent networks like HBO and Univision have gone dark for long periods, sometimes permanently, as Dish has taken a hard line with programmers. Those who have done business with Dish and Sling in recent years say Ergen’s imprint is still readily apparent in many of the company’s decisions.

In an interview with Deadline earlier this month about the new offerings, Seth Van Sickel, SVP, Product and Operations at Sling TV, said programming partners were briefed about the company’s plans for the short-term subscriptions.

A Sling rep did not immediately respond to Deadline’s request for comment on the Disney suit.

The post Disney Sues Sling TV, Saying Its New Mini-Bundles Violate Carriage Deal Terms appeared first on Deadline.

Tags: Dish NetworkDisneyPay-TVSling TV
Share197Tweet123Share
Trump’s Military Parade Was So Bad That Now He Wants a Redo
News

Trump’s Military Parade Was So Bad That Now He Wants a Redo

by New Republic
August 29, 2025

Remember that expensive, wasteful military parade that President Trump forced on everyone in June? Now our dear leader wants a ...

Read more
News

Federal appeals court rules Trump’s tariffs are unlawful

August 29, 2025
News

CVS and Walgreens limit access to COVID vaccines as required by some state guidelines

August 29, 2025
News

Prosecutors say Luigi Mangione is inspiring others to violence

August 29, 2025
News

Questlove Says ‘The Aristocats’ Live-Action Adaptation Has Been Scrapped At Disney: “Just Wasn’t Meant To Happen”

August 29, 2025
Why Bengals’ Joe Burrow’s Best Camp yet Is a Scary Sign for the NFL

Why Bengals’ Joe Burrow’s Best Camp yet Is a Scary Sign for the NFL

August 29, 2025
US appeals court rules Trump’s foreign tariff campaign is largely illegal

US appeals court rules Trump’s foreign tariff campaign is largely illegal

August 29, 2025
‘Baywatch’ star Nicole Eggert undergoes mastectomy surgery for stage II breast cancer treatment

‘Baywatch’ star Nicole Eggert undergoes mastectomy surgery for stage II breast cancer treatment

August 29, 2025

Copyright © 2025.

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
    • U.S.
    • World
    • Politics
    • Opinion
    • Business
    • Crime
    • Education
    • Environment
    • Science
  • Entertainment
    • Culture
    • Gaming
    • Music
    • Movie
    • Sports
    • Television
    • Theater
  • Tech
    • Apps
    • Autos
    • Gear
    • Mobile
    • Startup
  • Lifestyle
    • Arts
    • Fashion
    • Food
    • Health
    • Travel

Copyright © 2025.