DNYUZ
  • Home
  • News
    • U.S.
    • World
    • Politics
    • Opinion
    • Business
    • Crime
    • Education
    • Environment
    • Science
  • Entertainment
    • Culture
    • Music
    • Movie
    • Television
    • Theater
    • Gaming
    • Sports
  • Tech
    • Apps
    • Autos
    • Gear
    • Mobile
    • Startup
  • Lifestyle
    • Arts
    • Fashion
    • Food
    • Health
    • Travel
No Result
View All Result
DNYUZ
No Result
View All Result
Home News

Extension of US-China tariff pause ‘likely’ –  South Korea eager to get trade pact signed, Commerce Secretary Howard Lutnick says

July 29, 2025
in News, Politics
Extension of US-China tariff pause ‘likely’ –  South Korea eager to get trade pact signed, Commerce Secretary Howard Lutnick says
492
SHARES
1.4k
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

Commerce Secretary Howard Lutnick signaled Monday that the Trump administration appears “likely” to extend a pause on tariffs with China as trade negotiations continue, while the South Koreans “really, really want to get a deal done.” 

“They’re talking right now, but the decision-maker, of course, is President Trump,” Lutnick said of the state of negotiations with China, during an interview with Fox News “Special Report” host Bret Baier. 

Howard Lutnick at the White House Faith Office Luncheon.
Lutnick suggested Monday that another 90-day pause on China tariffs seems likely. Ron Sachs/CNP / SplashNews.com

Washington and Beijing struck a deal in May to pause their raging trade war for 90 days, with the US agreeing to drop its 145% tariff rate on most Chinese goods to 30%, while China lowered its rate to 10% from 125%.

The truce is set to expire on Aug. 12. 

Asked about reports that both sides were seeking to extend the pause, Lutnick indicated that while it appears “likely,” the decision ultimately rests on Trump. 

“I’m sure the people who are speaking with China are going to go discuss with President Trump how he wants to play it,” the commerce secretary said. “He’s got an excellent relationship with [Chinese President Xi Jinping], and I think we’ll leave that to Donald Trump to decide.” 

“Is that a likely outcome? Sure, it seems that way, but let’s leave it to President Trump to decide,” Lutnick said of the potential for another 90-day pause. 

Lutnick noted that negotiations over the social media app TikTok are “separate but adjacent” to a potential China deal. 

TikTok’s China-based parent company, ByteDance, has a Sept. 17 deadline to divest the platform’s American assets or face a US ban.   

Xi Jinping at the APEC Summit.
Lutnick touted Trump’s “excellent relationship” with Xi. REUTERS
President Trump in the Oval Office.
Trump’s “Liberation Day” tariffs go into effect on Aug. 1. REUTERS

Meanwhile, South Korea is eager to reach an agreement on a trade deal before Trump’s so-called “Liberation Day” tariffs go into effect on Aug. 1.

“The South Koreans flew to Scotland to meet with me and [US Trade Representative Jamieson Greer] after dinner,” Lutnick said of his late-night, weekend discussions with South Korea.

“I mean, think about how much they really, really want to get a deal done,” Lutnick added. 

The Trump Cabinet official argued that the president “is in the driver’s seat now” when it comes to trade deals, and that he expects the commander in chief to “consider a few deals” before Aug. 1, but that he’s focused on deciding what the tariff rates will be for countries that haven’t reached agreements with the US. 

So far, Trump has cut preliminary tariff deals with the UK, Vietnam, Japan, Indonesia, the Philippines and the European Union.

The president told reporters on Sunday that he has no intention of delaying the Aug. 1 deadline.

The post Extension of US-China tariff pause ‘likely’ –  South Korea eager to get trade pact signed, Commerce Secretary Howard Lutnick says appeared first on New York Post.

Tags: ChinaDonald Trumphoward lutnickSouth KoreaTariffstrade
Share197Tweet123Share
Dodgers Lose 26-Year-Old Infielder To Free Agency After Short Stint
News

Dodgers Lose 26-Year-Old Infielder To Free Agency After Short Stint

by Newsweek
August 29, 2025

The Los Angeles Dodgers’ excellent organizational depth took the slightest of hits on Friday. Earlier this week, the Dodgers designated ...

Read more
Education

So You Want to Work in International Affairs

August 29, 2025
News

Transportation Dept. Cancels $679 Million for Offshore Wind Projects

August 29, 2025
News

What to Know About Kamala Harris’s Secret Service Protection

August 29, 2025
News

Julia Roberts Forced to Defend Her New #MeToo Movie

August 29, 2025
Judge Tosses D.C. Case From Trump Prosecutor—Calls It Total Garbage

Judge Tosses D.C. Case From Trump Prosecutor—Calls It Total Garbage

August 29, 2025
The Danger of Trump Seizing Private Companies

The Danger of Trump Seizing Private Companies

August 29, 2025
‘My Life With the Walter Boys’ Showrunner Melanie Halsall On Jackie Wanting To “Cement Her Life” In Silver Falls As The Love Triangle Continues In Season 2

‘My Life With the Walter Boys’ Showrunner Melanie Halsall On Jackie Wanting To “Cement Her Life” In Silver Falls As The Love Triangle Continues In Season 2

August 29, 2025

Copyright © 2025.

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
    • U.S.
    • World
    • Politics
    • Opinion
    • Business
    • Crime
    • Education
    • Environment
    • Science
  • Entertainment
    • Culture
    • Gaming
    • Music
    • Movie
    • Sports
    • Television
    • Theater
  • Tech
    • Apps
    • Autos
    • Gear
    • Mobile
    • Startup
  • Lifestyle
    • Arts
    • Fashion
    • Food
    • Health
    • Travel

Copyright © 2025.