DNYUZ
  • Home
  • News
    • U.S.
    • World
    • Politics
    • Opinion
    • Business
    • Crime
    • Education
    • Environment
    • Science
  • Entertainment
    • Culture
    • Music
    • Movie
    • Television
    • Theater
    • Gaming
    • Sports
  • Tech
    • Apps
    • Autos
    • Gear
    • Mobile
    • Startup
  • Lifestyle
    • Arts
    • Fashion
    • Food
    • Health
    • Travel
No Result
View All Result
DNYUZ
No Result
View All Result
Home News

Call of Duty maker can’t be held responsible for Uvalde, Texas elementary school shooter, lawyer argues

July 18, 2025
in News
Call of Duty maker can’t be held responsible for Uvalde, Texas elementary school shooter, lawyer argues
492
SHARES
1.4k
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

A lawyer for the maker of the video game Call of Duty argued Friday that a judge should dismiss a lawsuit brought by families of the victims of the Robb Elementary School attack in Uvalde, Texas, saying the contents of the war game are protected by the First Amendment.

The families sued Call of Duty maker Activision and Meta Platforms, which owns Instagram, saying that the companies bear responsibility for promoting products used by the teen gunman.

Three sets of parents who lost children in the shooting were in the audience at the Los Angeles hearing.

Surveillance video still image of the Uvalde school shooter.
An attorney representing the creator of the Call of Duty video game franchise says Superior Court Judge William Highberger should dismiss the lawsuit from the families of the school shooting victims from Robb Elementary School. via REUTERS

Activision lawyer Bethany Kristovich told Superior Court Judge William Highberger that the “First Amendment bars their claims, period full stop.”

“The issues of gun violence are incredibly difficult,” Kristovich said.

“The evidence in this case is not.”

She argued that the case has little chance of prevailing if it continues, because courts have repeatedly held that “creators of artistic works, whether they be books, music, movies, TV or video games, cannot be held legally liable for the acts of their audience.”

The lawsuit, one of many involving Uvalde families, was filed last year on the second anniversary of one of the deadliest school shootings in U.S. history.

The gunman killed 19 students and two teachers. 

Officers finally confronted and shot him after waiting more than an hour to enter the fourth-grade classroom.

Family members of Uvalde school shooting victims and their attorney arrive at a court hearing.
The 2022 school shooting in Uvalde, Texas, was one of the deadliest school shootings in U.S. history, as 19 students and 2 teachers lost their lives. AP

Kimberly Rubio, whose 10-year-old daughter Lexi was killed in the shooting, was among the parents who came from Texas to Southern California, where Activision is based, for the hearing.

“We traveled all this way, so we need answers,” Rubio said outside the courthouse.

“It’s our hope that the case will move forward so we can get those answers.”

Another attorney for the families argued during the hearing that Call of Duty exceeds its First Amendment protections by moving into marketing.

“The basis of our complaint is not the existence of Call of Duty,” Katie Mesner-Hage told the judge.

Families of Uvalde school shooting victims at a court hearing.
Lawyers representing Call of Duty argued that their games are protected by the First Amendment. AP

“It is using Call of Duty as a platform to market weapons to minors.”

The plaintiffs’ lawyers showed contracts and correspondence between executives at Activison and gunmakers whose products, they said, are clearly and exactly depicted in the game despite brand names not appearing.

Mesner-Hage said the documents show that they actually prefer being unlabeled because “It helps shield them from the implication that they are marketing guns to minors,” while knowing that players will still identify and seek out the weapons.

Kristovich said there is no evidence that the kind of product placement and marketing the plaintiffs are talking about happened in any of the editions of the game the shooter played.

The families have also filed a lawsuit against Daniel Defense, which manufactured the AR-style rifle used in the May 24, 2022, shooting.

Surveillance video still image of law enforcement officers responding to the Robb Elementary School shooting.
At the court hearing in Los Angeles, California, three groups of parents who lost their children in the shooting were in attendance. via REUTERS

Koskoff argued that a replica of the rifle clearly appears on a splash page for Call of Duty.

Koskoff, a Connecticut lawyer, also represented families of nine Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting victims in a lawsuit against gunmaker Remington and got a $73 million lawsuit settlement.

He invoked Sandy Hook several times in his arguments, saying the shooters there and in Uvalde shared the same gaming obsession.

Koskoff said the Uvalde shooter experienced “the absorption and the loss of self in Call of Duty.”

He said that immersion was so deep that the shooter searched online for how to obtain an armored suit that he didn’t know only exists in the game.

Video game is ‘in a class of its own,’ lawyer says

Koskoff played a clip from Call of Duty Modern Warfare, the game the shooter played, with a first-person shooter gunning down opponents.

The shots echoed loudly in the courtroom, and several people in the audience slowly shook their heads.

“Call of Duty is in a class of its own,” Koskoff said.

Kristovich argued for Activision that the game, despite its vast numbers of players, can be tied to only a few of the many U.S. mass shootings.

“The game is incredibly common. It appears in a scene on ‘The Office,’” she said.

She added that it is ridiculous to assert that “this is such a horrible scourge that your honor has to essentially ban it through this lawsuit.”

Highberger told the lawyers he was not leaning in either direction before the hearing.

He gave no time frame for when he will rule, but a quick decision is not expected.

The judge did tell the plaintiffs’ lawyers that their description of Activision’s actions seemed like deliberate malfeasance, where their lawsuit alleges negligence.

He said that was the biggest hurdle they needed to clear.

“Their conduct created a risk of exactly what happened,” Mesner-Hage told him.

“And we represent the people who are exactly the foreseeable victims of that conduct.”

Meta’s attorneys will make arguments on a similar motion next month.

The post Call of Duty maker can’t be held responsible for Uvalde, Texas elementary school shooter, lawyer argues appeared first on New York Post.

Tags: Call of DutyFirst AmendmentlawyersMass ShootingsSchool ShootingsTexastexas school shootingvideo games
Share197Tweet123Share
Waymo CEO says the company will push back on law enforcement requests: ‘We need communities to be able to trust us’
News

Waymo CEO says the company will push back on law enforcement requests: ‘We need communities to be able to trust us’

by Business Insider
August 29, 2025

Waymo is available in major US cities.Smith Collection/Gado/Gado via Getty ImagesWaymo's self-driving cars include a valuable resource for law enforcement: ...

Read more
News

Legionnaires’ Outbreak Traced to N.Y.C.-Owned Sites, Including Hospital

August 29, 2025
News

Minneapolis church shooting search warrants reveal new details and evidence

August 29, 2025
News

The top 10 NYC restaurants where Wall Street and Madison Avenue wine and dine

August 29, 2025
Music

‘Very In-Your-Face and Real’: Kurt Cobain Described Recording Technique That Gave ‘In Utero’ Its Classic Sound

August 29, 2025
Browns legend Joe Thomas gives ‘Shedeur Sanders cult’ a reality check

Browns legend Joe Thomas gives ‘Shedeur Sanders cult’ a reality check

August 29, 2025
Taylor Kitsch’s ‘The Terminal List’ character gets an origin story in ‘The Terminal List: Dark Wolf’

Taylor Kitsch’s ‘The Terminal List’ character gets an origin story in ‘The Terminal List: Dark Wolf’

August 29, 2025
Court blocks Trump effort to end protected status for Venezuelans

Court blocks Trump effort to end protected status for Venezuelans

August 29, 2025

Copyright © 2025.

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
    • U.S.
    • World
    • Politics
    • Opinion
    • Business
    • Crime
    • Education
    • Environment
    • Science
  • Entertainment
    • Culture
    • Gaming
    • Music
    • Movie
    • Sports
    • Television
    • Theater
  • Tech
    • Apps
    • Autos
    • Gear
    • Mobile
    • Startup
  • Lifestyle
    • Arts
    • Fashion
    • Food
    • Health
    • Travel

Copyright © 2025.