DNYUZ
  • Home
  • News
    • U.S.
    • World
    • Politics
    • Opinion
    • Business
    • Crime
    • Education
    • Environment
    • Science
  • Entertainment
    • Culture
    • Music
    • Movie
    • Television
    • Theater
    • Gaming
    • Sports
  • Tech
    • Apps
    • Autos
    • Gear
    • Mobile
    • Startup
  • Lifestyle
    • Arts
    • Fashion
    • Food
    • Health
    • Travel
No Result
View All Result
DNYUZ
No Result
View All Result
Home News

Half of the 4,000 National Guard troops deployed to Los Angeles going home

July 16, 2025
in News
Half of the 4,000 National Guard troops deployed to Los Angeles going home
492
SHARES
1.4k
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

Federal officials at the Pentagon confirmed that half of the 4,000 federalized members of the California National Guard deployed in Los Angeles are being released, though 2,000 guardsmen, along with 700 active-duty Marines remain in the city.  

The controversial decision to federalize the troops came after demonstrations erupted downtown in early June to protest the federal immigration crackdown in L.A. County.  

Once they arrived, the troops were tasked with guarding federal buildings and protecting federal immigration agents during enforcement operations.  

The state took the Trump administration to court where a federal judge ruled that the president acted illegally when he federalized the National Guard without a request from Governor Gavin Newsom. That decision, however, was later overturned by an appeals court, which returned control of the troops back to Trump while the case remains ongoing. 

Newsom has continued to criticize both the court’s decision and President Trump himself, pointing out that the guardsmen have been pulled away from their families and other essential duties “to serve as pawns for the President in Los Angeles.”  

“While nearly 2,000 of them are starting to demobilize, the remaining guardsmembers continue without a mission, without direction and without any hopes of returning to help their communities,” the governor’s office wrote in a post to X. “We call on Trump and the Department of Defense to end this theater and send everyone home now.”  

It’s not entirely clear why federal officials abruptly ended the 60-day deployment of 2,000 guardsmen, though Chief Pentagon Spokesman Sean Parnell said: 

“Thanks to our troops who stepped up to answer the call, the lawlessness in Los Angeles is subsiding.” 

L.A. Mayor Karen Bass released a statement praising Angelenos for the demobilization of the troops.  

“This happened because the people of Los Angeles stood united and stood strong,” Bass said. “We organized peaceful protests, we came together at rallies, we took the Trump administration to court — all of this led to today’s retreat.” 

So far, no information has been provided about how long the remaining guardsmen and Marines will remain in the region.  

The Associated Press contributed to this report.  

The post Half of the 4,000 National Guard troops deployed to Los Angeles going home appeared first on KTLA.

Share197Tweet123Share
Drones blasting AC/DC and Scarlett Johannson are helping biologists protect cattle from wolves
News

Drones blasting AC/DC and Scarlett Johannson are helping biologists protect cattle from wolves

by KTAR
August 31, 2025

For millennia humans have tried to scare wolves away from their livestock. Most of them didn’t have drones. But a ...

Read more
News

Winning numbers drawn for historic Powerball jackpot

August 31, 2025
Business

Trump wants to ax an affordable housing grant that’s a lifeline for many rural communities

August 31, 2025
News

Yearbook photo shows trans Minnesota killer Robin Westman’s first year living as a woman

August 31, 2025
News

Trump Says He Will Sign Executive Order Mandating Voter I.D.

August 31, 2025
Garrett Nussmeier leads No. 9 LSU’s rally for 17-10 season-opening win at No. 4 Clemson

Garrett Nussmeier leads No. 9 LSU’s rally for 17-10 season-opening win at No. 4 Clemson

August 31, 2025
Gov. Brian Kemp endorses former football coach Derek Dooley outside Georgia stadium for 2026 US Senate bid

Gov. Brian Kemp endorses former football coach Derek Dooley outside Georgia stadium for 2026 US Senate bid

August 31, 2025
A Chinese student was questioned for hours in the US, then sent back even as Trump policies shift

A Chinese student was questioned for hours in the US, then sent back even as Trump policies shift

August 31, 2025

Copyright © 2025.

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
    • U.S.
    • World
    • Politics
    • Opinion
    • Business
    • Crime
    • Education
    • Environment
    • Science
  • Entertainment
    • Culture
    • Gaming
    • Music
    • Movie
    • Sports
    • Television
    • Theater
  • Tech
    • Apps
    • Autos
    • Gear
    • Mobile
    • Startup
  • Lifestyle
    • Arts
    • Fashion
    • Food
    • Health
    • Travel

Copyright © 2025.