DNYUZ
  • Home
  • News
    • U.S.
    • World
    • Politics
    • Opinion
    • Business
    • Crime
    • Education
    • Environment
    • Science
  • Entertainment
    • Culture
    • Music
    • Movie
    • Television
    • Theater
    • Gaming
    • Sports
  • Tech
    • Apps
    • Autos
    • Gear
    • Mobile
    • Startup
  • Lifestyle
    • Arts
    • Fashion
    • Food
    • Health
    • Travel
No Result
View All Result
DNYUZ
No Result
View All Result
Home News

Mayor Adams must implement controversial and costly City Council housing voucher plan, NY court rules

July 10, 2025
in News
Mayor Adams must implement controversial and costly City Council housing voucher plan, NY court rules
494
SHARES
1.4k
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

Mayor Eric Adams was handed a blow Thursday when a state court ordered his administration to comply with the city council’s controversial plan to expand the Big Apple’s housing voucher program — which Hizzoner has warned would saddle the city with an eye-popping $17 billion price tag over five years.

The Adams admin and the council have been locked in a years-long bitter feud over reforms that would amend eligibility for services under the City Fighting Homelessness and Eviction Prevention Supplement, known as CityFHEPS.

Mayor Eric Adams making a child care announcement.
The Adams admin was dealt its second major blow by the courts system in two weeks Thursday. Paul Martinka

“The City Council, as the legislative branch of city government, has the right to pass local laws crafting putative shelter supplements,” the court’s decision read. 

The council’s reforms put New Yorkers facing eviction on the fast track to get housing vouchers without first having to spend three months in the city shelter system, would bar landlords from deducting costs of utility bills from a voucher, would increase the income level of cutoff to qualify for aid and would remove work requirements.

Hizzoner has argued that the expansion would cost taxpayers $17 billion over five years — and would make it harder for people to leave homeless shelters.

“Adding more vouchers will only make it harder for people to leave homeless shelters. The affordable-housing crisis won’t be solved by making people compete for nonexistent housing; it will be solved by building more housing — which the Adams administration has done at record levels — and actually connecting people who already have vouchers to homes,” Adams admin spokesperson, Liz Garcia, said in a statement.

Garcia also insisted that the Adams administration has already helped an “unprecedented number” of New Yorkers find housing.

NYC City Council sign
Adams has argued that the expansion would cost taxpayers $17 billion over five years. Paul Martinka

“The Adams administration has utilized CityFHEPS more than any prior administration — helping an unprecedented number of New Yorkers obtain permanent housing last year, including nearly 8,000 New Yorkers we helped avoid shelter using CityFHEPS vouchers, in addition to thousands more we helped leave shelter,” she said.

“We accomplished this in the midst of a housing crisis with a 1.4% vacancy rate. But 13,000 households are still trying to use their CityFHEPS vouchers to find permanent housing, and we must focus on them.”

Adrienne Adams speaking at a protest for Brad Lander.
City council speaker Adrienne Adams (pictured) led the council’s fight for the CityFHEPs reforms. William Farrington

The city council, meanwhile, maintains that City Hall has overshot the cost of the reforms by $7 billion.

“It is unfortunate that for two years Mayor Adams’ administration stood in the way of removing barriers to housing vouchers that keep New Yorkers in their homes and move them from shelters to permanent homes,” said Rendy Desamours, a spokesperson for the city council.

The state court ruling is the Adams admin’s second notable blow in the last few weeks.

In a separate case, a Manhattan judge ruled on June 30 that the mayor “violated” the law when he blocked a council ban on solitary confinement using his emergency powers, rather than appealing to a federally appointed monitor. 

However, a federal court judge granted City Hall a Temporary Restraining Order (TRO) preventing the complete implementation of the solitary confinement ban, local law 42, without approval from the monitor.

“As Mayor Adams has repeatedly said, enforcement of Local Law 42 as written would harm the safety of people in our custody, our correctional staff, court staff, and the public, and we are grateful that Judge Swain has paused its implementation,” spokesperson for the Mayor, Liz Garcia, said of the TRO.

The post Mayor Adams must implement controversial and costly City Council housing voucher plan, NY court rules appeared first on New York Post.

Tags: affordable housingcity councileric adamshomelessnesshousingNew York City
Share198Tweet124Share
Waymo CEO says the company will push back on law enforcement requests: ‘We need communities to be able to trust us’
News

Waymo CEO says the company will push back on law enforcement requests: ‘We need communities to be able to trust us’

by Business Insider
August 29, 2025

Waymo is available in major US cities.Smith Collection/Gado/Gado via Getty ImagesWaymo's self-driving cars include a valuable resource for law enforcement: ...

Read more
News

Legionnaires’ Outbreak Traced to N.Y.C.-Owned Sites, Including Hospital

August 29, 2025
News

Minneapolis church shooting search warrants reveal new details and evidence

August 29, 2025
News

The top 10 NYC restaurants where Wall Street and Madison Avenue wine and dine

August 29, 2025
Music

‘Very In-Your-Face and Real’: Kurt Cobain Described Recording Technique That Gave ‘In Utero’ Its Classic Sound

August 29, 2025
Browns legend Joe Thomas gives ‘Shedeur Sanders cult’ a reality check

Browns legend Joe Thomas gives ‘Shedeur Sanders cult’ a reality check

August 29, 2025
Taylor Kitsch’s ‘The Terminal List’ character gets an origin story in ‘The Terminal List: Dark Wolf’

Taylor Kitsch’s ‘The Terminal List’ character gets an origin story in ‘The Terminal List: Dark Wolf’

August 29, 2025
Court blocks Trump effort to end protected status for Venezuelans

Court blocks Trump effort to end protected status for Venezuelans

August 29, 2025

Copyright © 2025.

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
    • U.S.
    • World
    • Politics
    • Opinion
    • Business
    • Crime
    • Education
    • Environment
    • Science
  • Entertainment
    • Culture
    • Gaming
    • Music
    • Movie
    • Sports
    • Television
    • Theater
  • Tech
    • Apps
    • Autos
    • Gear
    • Mobile
    • Startup
  • Lifestyle
    • Arts
    • Fashion
    • Food
    • Health
    • Travel

Copyright © 2025.