DNYUZ
  • Home
  • News
    • U.S.
    • World
    • Politics
    • Opinion
    • Business
    • Crime
    • Education
    • Environment
    • Science
  • Entertainment
    • Culture
    • Music
    • Movie
    • Television
    • Theater
    • Gaming
    • Sports
  • Tech
    • Apps
    • Autos
    • Gear
    • Mobile
    • Startup
  • Lifestyle
    • Arts
    • Fashion
    • Food
    • Health
    • Travel
No Result
View All Result
DNYUZ
No Result
View All Result
Home News

This was the single most dangerous moment for B-2 pilots during their Iran bombing raid

June 25, 2025
in News
This was the single most dangerous moment for B-2 pilots during their Iran bombing raid
496
SHARES
1.4k
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

The B-2 Spirit bombers that obliterated Iranian nuclear facilities in Operation Midnight Hammer were exposed to grave danger in the most pivotal moment during the 25-minute operation in airspace over the Islamic Republic.

The seven stealth bombers carried 14 30,000-pound GBU-57 “bunker buster” bombs for more than 18 hours after they were deployed from Whiteman Air Force Base in Missouri just after midnight and crossed the Atlantic Ocean and Mediterranean Sea to reach Iran.

But as pilots moved to drop their explosive payloads on three Iranian nuclear sites at 6:40 p.m. Saturday, the planes were at risk of losing their stealth capabilities and exposing themselves to enemy fire, The New York Times reported.

B-2 Spirit stealth bomber releasing a GBU-57 Massive Ordnance Penetrator bomb.
This B-2 Spirit bomber, in a 2018 exercise, shows the exact moment a payload is released and the plane loses some of its stealth capabilities. US Air Force
Screengrab of two pilots in a B-2 Spirit Stealth Bomber cockpit.
Two pilots sit in the cockpit of a B-2 — a $2 billion plane of which the United States has 19. U.S. Air Force

When the two-person crews released their weapons bay doors to drop the bombs, the shape of the stealth craft changed and made them more likely to pop up on Iranian radar — exposing the daring pilots to potentially deadly counterfire.

Experienced B-2 pilots told the outlet that the tense moment was punctuated by the aircraft quickly rising up into the air as it dropped the explosives, which weigh 15 tons apiece.

US B-2 stealth bomber in flight.
As pilots prepared to drop the bombs, they ran an increased risk of becoming visible within Iranian airspace and being targeted by enemy fire, according to the report. USAF/AFP via Getty Images

The ace pilots operating the B-2s on Saturday were able to navigate the risk and successfully hit their targets — the deeply embedded nuclear enrichment site Fordow, as well as facilities in Natanz, and Isfahan, which had previously been targeted by Israel.

US submarines further buttressed the attack with more than two dozen Tomahawk land attack cruise missiles that struck Isfahan.

US drops $500M bombs on Iran

B-2 Bombers and nuclear ubmarine bomb nuclear targets in Iran
Tam Nguyen / NYPost Design

  • The US military dropped six “bunker buster” bombs on Iran’s Fordow nuclear enrichment plant Saturday night and on two other key sites.
  • Prior to the airstrikes, Israel initiated extensive attacks on Iran’s nuclear infrastructure and military. 
  • Satellite images show how part of the mountain protecting the facility was completely obliterated.
  • This marks the first time that the US used the 15-ton GBU-57 bunker buster bombs in anger.
  • “Each and every member of the UN must be alarmed over this extremely dangerous, lawless and criminal behavior,” Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi said following the attack.

The seven Spirits were then out of Iranian airspace by 7:30 p.m. on Saturday and on their way back to Missouri to complete the 37-hour non-stop flight.

Satellite image of airstrike craters at Iran's Fordow Fuel Enrichment Plant.
Satellite image of airstrike craters at Iran’s Fordow Fuel Enrichment Plant. Satellite image ©2025 Maxar Technologies/AFP via Getty Images

Pilots likely ran simulations of the difficult route in the days and weeks leading up to the actual bombing, the Times reported.

Those pilots did have some amenities on the Midnight flight — including a microwave, a refrigerator, and a bathroom.

The two-person crews also took turns lying down and resting — but both were required to be in the cockpit for take-off and all time spent in Iranian airspace.

As part of Midnight Hammer, the Trump administration launched a decoy convoy of B-2s to the Middle East by way of the Pacific Ocean, with a planned refueling in Guam.

The US Air Force has a fleet of 19 B-2 bombers, the most expensive plane in history, after losing one in a crash in 2008.

The post This was the single most dangerous moment for B-2 pilots during their Iran bombing raid appeared first on New York Post.

Tags: Air ForceIranIsrael-Iran conflictMilitary
Share198Tweet124Share
Minneapolis church shooting search warrants reveal new details and evidence
News

Minneapolis church shooting search warrants reveal new details and evidence

by NBC News
August 29, 2025

MINNEAPOLIS — The heavily armed assailant who opened fire during Mass at a Minneapolis Catholic school was found dead at ...

Read more
News

The top 10 NYC restaurants where Wall Street and Madison Avenue wine and dine

August 29, 2025
Music

‘Very In-Your-Face and Real’: Kurt Cobain Described Recording Technique That Gave ‘In Utero’ Its Classic Sound

August 29, 2025
News

Browns legend Joe Thomas gives ‘Shedeur Sanders cult’ a reality check

August 29, 2025
Entertainment

Taylor Kitsch’s ‘The Terminal List’ character gets an origin story in ‘The Terminal List: Dark Wolf’

August 29, 2025
Court blocks Trump effort to end protected status for Venezuelans

Court blocks Trump effort to end protected status for Venezuelans

August 29, 2025
Why did Weird Al Yankovic abandon musical parodies for a decade before his bigger, weirder comeback?

Why did Weird Al Yankovic abandon musical parodies for a decade before his bigger, weirder comeback?

August 29, 2025
Trump administration tells states to remove references to ‘gender ideology’ from sex ed materials

Trump administration tells states to remove references to ‘gender ideology’ from sex ed materials

August 29, 2025

Copyright © 2025.

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
    • U.S.
    • World
    • Politics
    • Opinion
    • Business
    • Crime
    • Education
    • Environment
    • Science
  • Entertainment
    • Culture
    • Gaming
    • Music
    • Movie
    • Sports
    • Television
    • Theater
  • Tech
    • Apps
    • Autos
    • Gear
    • Mobile
    • Startup
  • Lifestyle
    • Arts
    • Fashion
    • Food
    • Health
    • Travel

Copyright © 2025.