DNYUZ
  • Home
  • News
    • U.S.
    • World
    • Politics
    • Opinion
    • Business
    • Crime
    • Education
    • Environment
    • Science
  • Entertainment
    • Culture
    • Music
    • Movie
    • Television
    • Theater
    • Gaming
    • Sports
  • Tech
    • Apps
    • Autos
    • Gear
    • Mobile
    • Startup
  • Lifestyle
    • Arts
    • Fashion
    • Food
    • Health
    • Travel
No Result
View All Result
DNYUZ
No Result
View All Result
Home News

Judge Denies Corporation For Public Broadcasting’s Motion In Trump Case, But Ruling Still Allows For Three Board Members To Remain — Update

June 8, 2025
in News
Judge Denies Corporation For Public Broadcasting’s Motion In Trump Case, But Ruling Still Allows For Three Board Members To Remain — Update
496
SHARES
1.4k
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

UPDATED, with comment from CPB: The Corporation for Public Broadcasting said that three members will remain on its board, even though a federal judge turned down their motion to block Donald Trump from firing them.

U.S. District Judge Randolph Moss wrote that the CPB had failed to meet the threshold to issue a preliminary injunction to halt Trump’s effort to remove Sony’s Tom Rothman, as well as Laura Ross and Diane Kaplan.

But in his decision, Moss cautioned that Trump still would not be able to wrest control of the board, and also noted that the corporation had recently changed its bylaws that restricts the president’s actions.

The judge wrote that “the president is not free to remove directors and then unilaterally to appoint their replacements, thereby using his power to remove as an effective tool for altering Board policy. Rather, the President’s appointment authority is tempered by the requirement that he proceed only with the advice and consent of the Senate.”

Read the judge’s public broadcasting decision.

The CPB is the nonprofit corporation set up by Congress to distribute funds to public media, largely radio and TV stations.

The CPB sued the Trump administration in April, after three board members got notices that they were being removed. The CPB cited the Public Broadcasting Act, which forbids “any department, agency, officer, or employee of the United States” from exercising “any direction, supervision, or control over . . . the Corporation.”

At a court hearing in the case last month, Moss suggested that the CPB could change its bylaws to try to put further safeguards in place to maintain its independence. The CPB did just that, and the new bylaws read, “No Director may be removed from the Board by any person or authority, including the President of the United States, without a two-thirds vote of the other Directors confirming such removal. In the event the Corporation’s President appoints one or more members of the Designated Body, such members may not be removed from the Designated Body by any person or authority, including the President of the United States, without a two-thirds vote of the other Directors and serving members of the Designated Body confirming such removal.”

Patricia Harrison, president and CEO of the CPB, said in a statement that they “are pleased that the court recognized CPB’s independent, non-profit corporation, free from governmental control or influence, and CPB, board and management, looks forward to continuing our work with policymakers and other stakeholders to ensure accurate, unbiased and non-partisan public media is available for all Americans.”

The CPB said that Ross, Rothman and Kaplan “are, remain, and shall continue” members of the CPB board.

The White House did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

PBS and NPR have filed their own lawsuits against the Trump administration over the president’s executive order to restrict further funding for their networks.

Rothman, Ross and Kaplan are among the five current CPB board members, while there are four vacancies. The board members are appointed by the president with the advice and consent of the Senate. Rothman, Ross and Kaplan are still in the midst of their six-year terms.

Moss, an appointee of President Barack Obama, wrote that one of the arguments presented by CPB lawyers was “novel,” that removal of a board member also required Senate approval.

CPB attorneys also argued that the president was an “officer” of the United States, and therefore was restricted from exercising control over the corporation.

Moss wrote that he needs “not resolve that question here. For present purposes, the Court can assume (as seems likely) that Congress intended to preclude the President (or any subordinate officials acting at his direction) from directing, supervising, or controlling the Corporation. But Congress did provide the President with appointment power, and that authority carries with it at least some ability to influence the affairs of the Corporation.”

Still, Moss noted that the CPB is governed not just by the Public Broadcasting Act, but the District of Columbia Nonprofit Corporation Act and its own incorporation and bylaws.

The judge wrote that “to the extent the President might have had the authority unilaterally to remove directors before this suit was brought, the Board has now taken a step that, in all likelihood, would prevent any such action: it has amended its bylaws to require Board concurrence, as permitted under the D.C. Nonprofit Corporation Act. And beyond that, even if the President were to do so, and even if his action were effective, the Corporation would not be without a meaningful remedy, which would permit it to continue to operate.”

Perhaps more urgent for public media advocates is a pending congressional vote on whether the $535 million in annual federal funding to public broadcasting should be clawed back.

The White House last week sent a package to Capitol Hill to rescind the funding for CPB in fiscal year 2026 and 2027. The corporation gets an advanced appropriation from Congress, so the money for those years already was allocated.

The post Judge Denies Corporation For Public Broadcasting’s Motion In Trump Case, But Ruling Still Allows For Three Board Members To Remain — Update appeared first on Deadline.

Tags: corporation for public broadcastingDonald TrumpElectionLineNPRPBS
Share198Tweet124Share
Prosecutors say Luigi Mangione is inspiring others to violence
News

Prosecutors say Luigi Mangione is inspiring others to violence

by NBC News
August 29, 2025

Luigi Mangione, who is accused of gunning down a top insurance company executive on a New York City street, has ...

Read more
News

Questlove Says ‘The Aristocats’ Live-Action Adaptation Has Been Scrapped At Disney: “Just Wasn’t Meant To Happen”

August 29, 2025
News

Why Bengals’ Joe Burrow’s Best Camp yet Is a Scary Sign for the NFL

August 29, 2025
News

US appeals court rules Trump’s foreign tariff campaign is largely illegal

August 29, 2025
Entertainment

‘Baywatch’ star Nicole Eggert undergoes mastectomy surgery for stage II breast cancer treatment

August 29, 2025
Schottenheimer takes Parsons trade in stride and Cowboys newcomer Clark says watch his film

Schottenheimer takes Parsons trade in stride and Cowboys newcomer Clark says watch his film

August 29, 2025
Lee Corso’s emotional farewell: His final ‘College GameDay’ at Ohio State holds special significance

Lee Corso’s emotional farewell: His final ‘College GameDay’ at Ohio State holds special significance

August 29, 2025
Public defender’s office seeks removal of Trump’s top federal prosecutor in L.A.

Public defender’s office seeks removal of Trump’s top federal prosecutor in L.A.

August 29, 2025

Copyright © 2025.

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
    • U.S.
    • World
    • Politics
    • Opinion
    • Business
    • Crime
    • Education
    • Environment
    • Science
  • Entertainment
    • Culture
    • Gaming
    • Music
    • Movie
    • Sports
    • Television
    • Theater
  • Tech
    • Apps
    • Autos
    • Gear
    • Mobile
    • Startup
  • Lifestyle
    • Arts
    • Fashion
    • Food
    • Health
    • Travel

Copyright © 2025.