DNYUZ
  • Home
  • News
    • U.S.
    • World
    • Politics
    • Opinion
    • Business
    • Crime
    • Education
    • Environment
    • Science
  • Entertainment
    • Culture
    • Music
    • Movie
    • Television
    • Theater
    • Gaming
    • Sports
  • Tech
    • Apps
    • Autos
    • Gear
    • Mobile
    • Startup
  • Lifestyle
    • Arts
    • Fashion
    • Food
    • Health
    • Travel
No Result
View All Result
DNYUZ
No Result
View All Result
Home News

Hochul defies federal deadline to end NYC congestion toll: ‘The cameras are staying on’

April 20, 2025
in News
Hochul defies federal deadline to end NYC congestion toll: ‘The cameras are staying on’
511
SHARES
1.5k
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

Gov. Kathy Hochul said she has no plans on complying with a federal deadline to end New York City’s deeply unpopular congestion pricing scheme on Sunday — with a spokesman defiantly telling The Post that “the cameras are staying on.”

The White House in February threatened to block the Metropolitan Transportation Authority from collecting the $9 toll, which went into effect Jan. 5 for vehicles entering parts of Manhattan below 60th Street.

Gov. Kathy Hochul.
Gov. Hochul’s office told The Post Sunday it would defy a federal order to wind down congestion pricing in Manhattan. Hans Pennink

The MTA filed a lawsuit against the Trump administration that month, with the city and state’s transportation later piling on and joining the legal action against the feds.

“Despite the Administration’s ‘royal’ decree, its effort to summarily and unilaterally overturn the solution to the City’s congestion enacted by New Yorkers’ elected representatives is unlawful and invalid,” the amended complaint states.

City Mayor Eric Adams voiced his support of the lawsuit as New York barreled toward the April 20 deadline last week.

The White House has declined to specify what, if anything, will happen if New York ignored the deadline set by the US Department of Transportation.

The agency earlier this month posted on X it would “not hesitate to use every tool at our disposal” to shut the tolls down if the state didn’t comply, but refused to provide specifics.

The White House previously demanded the MTA stop collecting tolls March 21, but Transportation Secretary Sean Duffy announced before the deadline that the US DOT granted a 30-day extension. Christopher Sadowski

The White House previously demanded the MTA stop collecting tolls March 21, but Transportation Secretary Sean Duffy announced before the deadline that the US DOT granted a 30-day extension through Sunday as negotiations continued.

In a statement to The Post Sunday, MTA Chief, Policy and External Relations John J. McCarthy reaffirmed the agency’s decision to sue the DOT, and hit out against Duffy for throwing his weight around.

“In case there were any doubts, MTA, State and City reaffirmed in a court filing that congestion pricing is here to stay and that the arguments Secretary Duffy made trying to stop it have zero merit,” the spokesman said.

The US DOT did not respond to a request for comment by The Post on Sunday in response to the defiant response from Hochul’s office as the deadline lapsed.

The post Hochul defies federal deadline to end NYC congestion toll: ‘The cameras are staying on’ appeared first on New York Post.

Tags: congestion pricingdepartment of transportationKathy HochulManhattan
Share204Tweet128Share
Colleges face financial struggles as Trump policies send international enrollment plummeting
News

Colleges face financial struggles as Trump policies send international enrollment plummeting

by KTAR
August 30, 2025

One international student after another told the University of Central Missouri this summer that they couldn’t get a visa, and ...

Read more
News

NC election official resigns after police say they caught him drugging teenagers’ ice cream

August 30, 2025
News

ICE Barbie Fires Dozens of FEMA Staffers After ‘Threat Actor’ Breach

August 30, 2025
News

English flag campaign: Patriotism or far-right aggression?

August 30, 2025
News

‘H Is For Hawk’ Review: Claire Foy Soars High In True Drama About A Woman And A Goshawk Who Bond Over Life And Loss – Telluride Film Festival

August 30, 2025
Red Sox replace World Series star Buehler with prospect Payton Tolle and get a gem in his MLB debut

Red Sox replace World Series star Buehler with prospect Payton Tolle and get a gem in his MLB debut

August 30, 2025
Meta changes the way its AI chatbot responds to kids after senator launches probe into its conversations with teens

Meta changes the way its AI chatbot responds to kids after senator launches probe into its conversations with teens

August 30, 2025
Colorado adds mobile bathroom near team bench for season opener after Deion Sanders’ bladder cancer treatment

Colorado adds mobile bathroom near team bench for season opener after Deion Sanders’ bladder cancer treatment

August 30, 2025

Copyright © 2025.

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
    • U.S.
    • World
    • Politics
    • Opinion
    • Business
    • Crime
    • Education
    • Environment
    • Science
  • Entertainment
    • Culture
    • Gaming
    • Music
    • Movie
    • Sports
    • Television
    • Theater
  • Tech
    • Apps
    • Autos
    • Gear
    • Mobile
    • Startup
  • Lifestyle
    • Arts
    • Fashion
    • Food
    • Health
    • Travel

Copyright © 2025.