DNYUZ
  • Home
  • News
    • U.S.
    • World
    • Politics
    • Opinion
    • Business
    • Crime
    • Education
    • Environment
    • Science
  • Entertainment
    • Culture
    • Music
    • Movie
    • Television
    • Theater
    • Gaming
    • Sports
  • Tech
    • Apps
    • Autos
    • Gear
    • Mobile
    • Startup
  • Lifestyle
    • Arts
    • Fashion
    • Food
    • Health
    • Travel
No Result
View All Result
DNYUZ
No Result
View All Result
Home News

Harvard University rejects Trump admin’s demands, risking billions in funding

April 14, 2025
in News, U.S.
497
SHARES
1.4k
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

Harvard University is refusing to comply with a series of demands from the Trump administration, potentially risking billions in federal funding.

In a letter on Monday, Harvard University President Alan Garber said the school “will not surrender its independence or relinquish its constitutional rights” by agreeing to a series of terms proposed by the Trump administration.

The Trump administration demanded Harvard end its diversity, equity and inclusion programs, adopt merit-based admissions and cooperate with immigration authorities — or risk losing $9 billion in federal funding. Garber at the time said the loss of funding would “halt life-saving research.”

Harvard’s rejection of Trump’s demands marks the first time a majority university has pushed back against funding threats made by the Trump administration.

In a letter Friday, the Trump administration argued that the school “failed to live up to both the intellectual and civil rights conditions that justify federal investment” and proposed terms including changing the school’s governance, adopting merit-based hiring, shuttering any DEI programs and allowing “audits” to ensure “viewpoint diversity.”

In response, Harvard’s president said the school is committed to making changes to create a “welcoming and supportive learning environment” and reaffirmed the school’s vow to fight antisemitism. However, he argued the Trump administration’s requests would go too far.

“The administration’s prescription goes beyond the power of the federal government. It violates Harvard’s First Amendment rights and exceeds the statutory limits of the government’s authority under Title VI,” Garber wrote. “And it threatens our values as a private institution devoted to the pursuit, production, and dissemination of knowledge. No government — regardless of which party is in power — should dictate what private universities can teach, whom they can admit and hire, and which areas of study and inquiry they can pursue.”

The confrontation follows similar actions against other prestigious universities. Last month, Columbia University agreed to comply with the administration’s demands regarding campus policies and governance after its federal funding was suspended following campus protests. The agreement came after the administration cited concerns about antisemitism and public safety.

The Department of Education has also initiated investigations into Cornell University and Northwestern University, according to White House officials. The Trump administration has halted more than $1 billion in federal funding to Cornell and $790 million to Northwestern due to investigations into alleged civil rights violations.

ABC News’ Selina Wang contributed to this report.

The post Harvard University rejects Trump admin’s demands, risking billions in funding appeared first on ABC News.

Share199Tweet124Share
Phillies’ Kyle Schwarber reaches rare MLB feat with 4 home run game
News

Phillies’ Kyle Schwarber reaches rare MLB feat with 4 home run game

by Fox News
August 29, 2025

NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles! Philadelphia Phillies star Kyle Schwarber became the 21st player in MLB history ...

Read more
News

Delta agrees to pay $79M to settle lawsuit after jetliner dumped fuel on schools

August 29, 2025
News

Nolte: Cracker Barrel Cofounder Rips CEO Julie Felss Masino’s ‘Pitiful’ Rebranding

August 29, 2025
News

A Panorama of Design

August 29, 2025
Crime

Deadly freeway collision devastates Southern California youth soccer community

August 29, 2025
Supervisor Hilda Solis says she’ll run for Congress if new maps are approved

Supervisor Hilda Solis says she’ll run for Congress if new maps are approved

August 29, 2025
Salad kits sold in Alabama, Tennessee and 23 other states recalled

Salad kits sold in 25 states, including California, recalled

August 29, 2025
Alabama Supreme Court tosses medical malpractice lawsuit over vision loss, says it was filed too late

Alabama Supreme Court tosses medical malpractice lawsuit over vision loss, says it was filed too late

August 29, 2025

Copyright © 2025.

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
    • U.S.
    • World
    • Politics
    • Opinion
    • Business
    • Crime
    • Education
    • Environment
    • Science
  • Entertainment
    • Culture
    • Gaming
    • Music
    • Movie
    • Sports
    • Television
    • Theater
  • Tech
    • Apps
    • Autos
    • Gear
    • Mobile
    • Startup
  • Lifestyle
    • Arts
    • Fashion
    • Food
    • Health
    • Travel

Copyright © 2025.