DNYUZ
  • Home
  • News
    • U.S.
    • World
    • Politics
    • Opinion
    • Business
    • Crime
    • Education
    • Environment
    • Science
  • Entertainment
    • Culture
    • Music
    • Movie
    • Television
    • Theater
    • Gaming
    • Sports
  • Tech
    • Apps
    • Autos
    • Gear
    • Mobile
    • Startup
  • Lifestyle
    • Arts
    • Fashion
    • Food
    • Health
    • Travel
No Result
View All Result
DNYUZ
No Result
View All Result
Home News

US won’t say whether it’s facilitating return of mistakenly deported man, despite judge’s order

April 13, 2025
in News
Yahoo news home
494
SHARES
1.4k
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

The Trump administration confirmed to a federal judge Saturday that a Maryland man who was mistakenly deported last month remains confined in a notorious prison in El Salvador.

But the government’s filing did not address the judge’s demands that the administration detail what steps it was taking to return Kilmar Abrego Garcia to the United States. The government said only that Abrego Garcia, 29, is under the authority of the El Salvador government.

Abrego Garcia’s location was confirmed to the court by Michael G. Kozak, who identified himself in the filing as a “Senior Bureau Official” in the State Department’s Bureau of Western Hemisphere Affairs.

The filing comes one day after a U.S. government attorney struggled in a hearing to provide U.S. District Judge Paula Xinis with any information about Abrego Garcia’s whereabouts. The U.S. Supreme Court ruled Thursday that the Trump administration must bring him back.

Xinis issued an order Friday requiring the administration to disclose Abrego Garcia’s “current physical location and custodial status” and “what steps, if any, Defendants have taken (and) will take, and when, to facilitate” his return.

“It is my understanding based on official reporting from our Embassy in San Salvador that Abrego Garcia is currently being held in the Terrorism Confinement Center in El Salvador,” Kozak’s statement said. “He is alive and secure in that facility. He is detained pursuant to the sovereign, domestic authority of El Salvador.”

Kozak’s statement did not address the judge’s latter requirements.

Xinis was exasperated Friday with the government’s lack of information.

“Where is he and under whose authority?” the judge asked during the hearing. “I’m not asking for state secrets. All I know is that he’s not here. The government was prohibited from sending him to El Salvador, and now I’m asking a very simple question: Where is he?”

The judge repeatedly asked a government attorney about what has been done to return Abrego Garcia, asking pointedly: “Have they done anything?”

Drew Ensign, a deputy assistant attorney general, told Xinis that he had no personal knowledge about any actions or plans to return Abrego Garcia. But he told the judge the government was “actively considering what could be done” and said that Abrego Garcia’s case involved three Cabinet agencies and significant coordination.

Before the hearing ended, Xinis ordered the U.S. to provide daily status updates on plans to return Abrego Garcia.

The Justice Department did not immediately respond Saturday evening to an Associated Press request for comment.

Abrego Garcia has lived in the U.S. for roughly 14 years, during which he worked construction, got married and was raising three children with disabilities, according to court records.

If he is returned, he will get to face the allegations that prompted his expulsion: a 2019 accusation from local police in Maryland that he was an MS-13 gang member.

Abrego Garcia denied the allegation and was never charged with a crime, his attorneys said. A U.S. immigration judge subsequently shielded him from deportation to El Salvador because he likely faced persecution there by local gangs that terrorized his family.

The Trump administration deported him there last month anyway, later describing the mistake as “an administrative error” but insisting he was in MS-13.

The post US won’t say whether it’s facilitating return of mistakenly deported man, despite judge’s order appeared first on Associated Press.

Tags: Abrego GarciaAssociated PressDistrict Judge Paula XinisEl SalvadorFederal judgeKilmar Abrego GarciaMichael G. Kozakthe governmentYahooYahoo News
Share198Tweet124Share
Julia Roberts Forced to Defend Her New #MeToo Movie
News

Julia Roberts Forced to Defend Her New #MeToo Movie

by The Daily Beast
August 29, 2025

Julia Roberts has been forced to defend her new film After the Hunt on Friday from claims it “undermines feminist ...

Read more
News

Judge Tosses D.C. Case From Trump Prosecutor—Calls It Total Garbage

August 29, 2025
Business

The Danger of Trump Seizing Private Companies

August 29, 2025
News

‘My Life With the Walter Boys’ Showrunner Melanie Halsall On Jackie Wanting To “Cement Her Life” In Silver Falls As The Love Triangle Continues In Season 2

August 29, 2025
News

Alabama town’s first Black mayor reelected after being locked out of office

August 29, 2025
No Schuman roundabout canopy without more money

No Schuman roundabout canopy without more money

August 29, 2025
Waymo CEO says the company will push back on law enforcement requests: ‘We need communities to be able to trust us’

Waymo CEO says the company will push back on law enforcement requests: ‘We need communities to be able to trust us’

August 29, 2025
Legionnaires’ Outbreak Traced to N.Y.C.-Owned Sites, Including Hospital

Legionnaires’ Outbreak Traced to N.Y.C.-Owned Sites, Including Hospital

August 29, 2025

Copyright © 2025.

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
    • U.S.
    • World
    • Politics
    • Opinion
    • Business
    • Crime
    • Education
    • Environment
    • Science
  • Entertainment
    • Culture
    • Gaming
    • Music
    • Movie
    • Sports
    • Television
    • Theater
  • Tech
    • Apps
    • Autos
    • Gear
    • Mobile
    • Startup
  • Lifestyle
    • Arts
    • Fashion
    • Food
    • Health
    • Travel

Copyright © 2025.