DNYUZ
  • Home
  • News
    • U.S.
    • World
    • Politics
    • Opinion
    • Business
    • Crime
    • Education
    • Environment
    • Science
  • Entertainment
    • Culture
    • Music
    • Movie
    • Television
    • Theater
    • Gaming
    • Sports
  • Tech
    • Apps
    • Autos
    • Gear
    • Mobile
    • Startup
  • Lifestyle
    • Arts
    • Fashion
    • Food
    • Health
    • Travel
No Result
View All Result
DNYUZ
No Result
View All Result
Home News

Trump Envoy Visits Lebanon Amid Fears Over a Shaky Cease-Fire

April 5, 2025
in News
Trump Envoy Visits Lebanon Amid Fears Over a Shaky Cease-Fire
497
SHARES
1.4k
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

A top Trump administration envoy to the Middle East was in Lebanon on Saturday amid U.S. pressure on the country to crack down on Hezbollah and as tensions with Israel flare despite a U.S.-brokered cease-fire.

Morgan Ortagus, President Trump’s deputy Middle East envoy, met with senior officials after strikes over the past two weeks threatened the truce that went into effect in November.

The Lebanese government has been trying to rebuild the country in the wake of the devastating war between Israel and Hezbollah in which about 4,000 people in Lebanon were killed and roughly one million displaced. Hezbollah, the Iran-backed militant group that had long been a dominant force in Lebanon, was severely weakened in the war, but still has significant influence.

On Saturday morning, Ms. Ortagus met with Lebanon’s new president, Joseph Aoun, to discuss issues including the situation in southern Lebanon, according to a statement from Mr. Aoun’s office. Under the cease-fire, the Lebanese military is supposed to take charge in the country’s south, where Hezbollah had long been deeply entrenched.

Last week, militants fired rockets at Israel, prompting Israeli forces to bombard the outskirts of Beirut, the capital, and southern Lebanon. Israel later struck the area south of Beirut — known as the Dahiya — in what it said was targeting a Hezbollah official, raising further fears that the truce could fall apart.

Hezbollah denied any connection to the rocket fire. Neither Israel nor Hezbollah has shown appetite for a return to full-scale war. The cease-fire has continued to hold, at least for now, despite the tensions.

Ms. Ortagus and Mr. Aoun also discussed ongoing financial overhauls by the new Lebanese government, according to the Lebanese statement. Lebanese officials hope the effort will help bring in increased foreign assistance — including from the United States — to rebuild the country.

The total damage and economic loss from the war is estimated to be $14 billion, and Lebanon needs $11 billion to rebuild, the World Bank said last month, making the conflict the country’s most destructive since its long civil war ended in 1990.

Experts say the amount of international aid is likely to depend on whether the Lebanese government can assert its control over the country, including by disarming Hezbollah. Before the war, the armed group was so powerful that it was generally considered a state within a state.

Aaron Boxerman is a Times reporter covering Israel and Gaza. He is based in Jerusalem. More about Aaron Boxerman

The post Trump Envoy Visits Lebanon Amid Fears Over a Shaky Cease-Fire appeared first on New York Times.

Share199Tweet124Share
Red State Cities Under Consideration for Troop Deployments: Kristi Noem
Crime

Red State Cities Under Consideration for Troop Deployments: Kristi Noem

by Newsweek
August 31, 2025

Department of Homeland Security (DHS) Secretary Kristi Noem said on Sunday that Republican-led cities are under active consideration for federal ...

Read more
Football

BetMGM Bonus Code NW150: Claim $150 Betting Bonus For MLB, College Football

August 31, 2025
Europe

Von der Leyen visit spotlights Bulgaria’s uneasy growth as European arms hub

August 31, 2025
News

Jeremy Allen White and Jeremy Strong on How Bruce Springsteen and Jon Landau Let Them In

August 31, 2025
News

CNN Data Guru Says Voters ‘Spitting Out’ Trump’s Tariffs

August 31, 2025
What now? EU brainstorms new ways to back Ukraine

What now? EU brainstorms new ways to back Ukraine

August 31, 2025
I looked for school supplies at Walmart and Dollar Tree. Many deals were similar, but one shopping experience was easier.

I looked for school supplies at Walmart and Dollar Tree. Many deals were similar, but one shopping experience was easier.

August 31, 2025
Moore: ‘I have no interest in fighting with the president’

Moore: ‘I have no interest in fighting with the president’

August 31, 2025

Copyright © 2025.

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
    • U.S.
    • World
    • Politics
    • Opinion
    • Business
    • Crime
    • Education
    • Environment
    • Science
  • Entertainment
    • Culture
    • Gaming
    • Music
    • Movie
    • Sports
    • Television
    • Theater
  • Tech
    • Apps
    • Autos
    • Gear
    • Mobile
    • Startup
  • Lifestyle
    • Arts
    • Fashion
    • Food
    • Health
    • Travel

Copyright © 2025.