The Seattle-area home of Los Angeles Dodgers pitcher Blake Snell was broken into just before Opening Day, making him the latest in a trend of break-ins at the homes of famous athletes in recent months.
As first reported by KING5 in Seattle, police opened an investigation into the incident on March 26, which was one day before Snell made his pitching debut at Dodger Stadium in L.A.
No one was home at the time of the incident. Police told KING5 that it’s not yet clear if anything was stolen.
Police found that a window had been broken at the Woodway, Washington home.
“I can confirm that our home was recently broken into,” Snell said in a statement obtained by KING5. “Thankfully no one was harmed. We’re working closely with local authorities and are incredibly grateful for their swift response and ongoing support. We have security footage that is actively assisting in the investigation, and we’re confident the individuals responsible will be caught and removed from our community. If you know something, say something — please contact local law enforcement.”
The incident occurred days before fellow athlete, former Seattle Seahawks star Richard Sherman’s home was broken into. Sherman said the suspects pointed held his wife and children at gunpoint as they robbed their house.
Sherman’s Maple Valley, Washington home is about one hour south of Snell’s home. It’s not clear if the incidents were related.
“Of course, there’s always the possibility that they’re connected. We don’t have enough information to say they’re connected,” a police spokesperson told KING5.
Late last year, the FBI formally warned professional sports leagues like the NFL and MLB that athletes have become targets for home invasions, after similar instances happened at the homes of Patrick Mahomes and Joe Burrow.
The post Dodgers star is the latest athlete to fall victim to home break-ins: report appeared first on KTLA.