The police in Dallas said early Tuesday that they had arrested a suspect in a shooting at a hair salon last week that wounded three women of Korean descent, an attack that had raised fears that a gunman was targeting Asian-run businesses.
The suspect, who was not immediately identified, was being interviewed and processed, the police said on Twitter. No further information was immediately available, but Police Chief Edgardo Garcia planned to release more information on Tuesday, the police said.
Investigators have been examining whether the shooting on Wednesday could be classified as a hate crime. The police initially said there had been no indication of a racist motive, but Chief Garcia told reporters on Friday that “there may be a link to hate” and that it appeared to be related to two other shootings in recent weeks at Asian-run establishments. A burgundy minivan was present at the scene of the three separate shootings, the police said.
In the Wednesday attack, a man wearing all black and carrying a long rifle walked into the Hair World Salon in an Asian immigrant enclave in North Dallas and opened fire after saying a few unintelligible words, the police said. He shot three women, all of whom were expected to survive, before fleeing.
No one was injured in the other two shootings, on May 10 and April 2, but both attacks targeted Asian-run establishments in the same area as Wednesday’s attack.
Adding to the concern was a national atmosphere of increased attacks on Asian Americans, including a shooting rampage in Atlanta last year that left eight people dead, most of them women of Asian heritage.
The post Dallas Police Arrest Suspect in Attack on 3 Women of Korean Descent appeared first on New York Times.