A top Republican who has criticized major tech platforms for their bias against conservatives had a run-in of his own with Twitter this week.
Sen. Tom Cotton said on Wednesday he was forced to push back against censorship from Twitter after a “low level” employee of the social media hub threatened to ban his account for suggesting the military could be used to help police quell unrest throughout the United States as demonstrations continue in response to the death of George Floyd.
The Arkansas Republican said his account had been flagged for sending a June 1 tweet that read “no quarter insurrectionists, anarchists, looters, and rioters.” Twitter called off the threat after Cotton said he sent “clear evidence” that his intent was not violent in nature.
“We waited them out, we called their bluff, for 30 minutes they didn’t lock down my account and within about 2 hours they got back to us and said, ‘OK, you can keep your posts up,’” Cotton said during a Wednesday morning interview with Fox News.
And, if necessary, the 10th Mountain, 82nd Airborne, 1st Cav, 3rd Infantry—whatever it takes to restore order. No quarter for insurrectionists, anarchists, rioters, and looters. https://t.co/OnNJmnDrYM
— Tom Cotton (@TomCottonAR) June 1, 2020
Cotton said Twitter officials refused to explain why his account had been targeted by moderators.
“We asked for an explanation of why that was and it was not really forthcoming,” Cotton added. “They cited a policy that didn’t apply to my situation.”
The exchange comes after Cotton and the New York Times were both heavily criticized for their part in a June 3 editorial authored by the senator, which defended his position on President Trump enacting the Insurrection Act and using the military if needed to break up weeks-long protests in several major cities.
A representative with Twitter confirmed to the Washington Examiner that Cotton’s tweet had been reviewed and found to not violate the platform’s terms of services.
The post ‘We called their bluff’: Tom Cotton fends off Twitter censors after threat of suspension appeared first on Washington Examiner.