DNYUZ
No Result
View All Result
DNYUZ
No Result
View All Result
DNYUZ
Home News

Wine giant Gallo to lay off 90, shut down key Napa facility

February 20, 2026
in News
Wine giant Gallo to lay off 90, shut down key Napa facility

California wine giant Gallo is laying off more than 90 employees and closing a major Napa Valley wine-making facility.

The Modesto company said Thursday the cuts are necessary to adapt to market dynamics and changing customer demands.

In total, 93 employees across five sites will lose their jobs, according to a Worker Adjustment and Retraining Notice the company filed with the state last week.

The “operational adjustments” will not “materially impact” the company’s tasting rooms in Napa, Sonoma and Paso Robles, a spokesperson for the company said in a statement.

Gallo plans to permanently close its Ranch Winery in St. Helena. In 2015, the company bought the “custom crush winery” capable of crushing 30,000 tons of grapes, hoping to bolster its presence in the super-premium and luxury wine segment. That investment has not panned out.

The closure means 56 employees — including more than three dozen wine technicians — will lose their jobs between April 15 and the end of January 2027, according to the notice.

Layoffs are also planned at Louis M. Martini Winery and Orin Swift Tasting Room in St. Helena and J Vineyards & Winery and Frei Ranch in Healdsburg.

In 2025, Gallo closed its Courtside Cellars winery in San Miguel and laid off 47 workers, according to the San Luis Obispo Tribune.

The layoffs are indicative of the U.S. wine industry’s broader struggles amid shifting tastes.

Customers are choosing quality, not quantity: they would rather buy fewer bottles and invest in a premium product, said Rob McMillan, Silicon Valley Bank’s executive vice president and wine expert.

Many of Gallo’s wines fall into the sub-$12 category, which has performed poorly for the last decade, McMillan said.

With younger generations drinking less, and the baby boomer generation — the industry’s core base — aging out of the wine market, it’s been a challenging few years for the industry, which has also had to fend off competition from makers of premium beers and spirits, McMillan said.

Wine shops and importers have also been caught in the crossfire of President Trump’s trade war.

Founded in 1933 as E. & J. Gallo Winery, the company in 2024 renamed itself to reflect its portfolio, which by then had grown beyond wine to include distilled spirits, malt beverages and ready-to-drink cocktails.

The privately held company is the largest supplier of wine in the U.S. by volume, according to the wine trade publication WineBusiness Monthly, which estimated that it sold 90 million cases of wine in 2025.

Gallo owns more than 100 brands — including the popular Barefoot and Apothic labels — and had more than 7,000 employees worldwide, according to a 2023 company statement.

The post Wine giant Gallo to lay off 90, shut down key Napa facility appeared first on Los Angeles Times.

Mikaela Shiffrin’s Silent Victory
News

Mikaela Shiffrin’s Silent Victory

by New York Times
February 20, 2026

After Mikaela Shiffrin finished her second run in the slalom to win the gold by an astonishing 1.5 seconds on ...

Read more
News

U.S. economic growth slowed sharply at end of 2025, dragging down the year

February 20, 2026
News

Tesla suffers major court loss as judge upholds $243 million penalty in fatal crash

February 20, 2026
News

What the Supreme Court throwing out Trump’s tariffs means for you

February 20, 2026
News

These new Ukrainian ground robots can launch unjammable fiber-optic drones close to the front so troops don’t have to

February 20, 2026
In Ukraine, Senators See War’s Impact and Press for Stronger U.S. Support

In Ukraine, Senators See War’s Impact and Press for Stronger U.S. Support

February 20, 2026
Fed staff are more worried about stock prices than tech debt, even as hyperscalers go on a borrowing binge for their AI spending

Fed staff are more worried about stock prices than tech debt, even as hyperscalers go on a borrowing binge for their AI spending

February 20, 2026
Sword Strikes Playgoer During ‘Richard III’ in Berlin

Sword Strikes Playgoer During ‘Richard III’ in Berlin

February 20, 2026

DNYUZ © 2026

No Result
View All Result

DNYUZ © 2026