DNYUZ
No Result
View All Result
DNYUZ
No Result
View All Result
DNYUZ
Home News

HUD Revives First-Term Trump Proposal to Eject Undocumented Immigrants from Public Housing

February 20, 2026
in News
HUD Revives First-Term Trump Proposal to Eject Undocumented Immigrants from Public Housing

The Trump administration announced on Thursday that it was reviving a proposal to prevent undocumented immigrants from receiving federal housing assistance, a policy that could displace tens of thousands of legal residents and citizens, many of them children, who live with unauthorized relatives in public housing.

The proposal comes as the Department of Housing and Urban Development has stepped up efforts to scrutinize public housing rolls for undocumented immigrants, telling public housing authorities across the country on Friday that they would face sanctions if they did not do more to verify the legal status of residents.

The Department of Housing and Urban Development had previously instructed landlords to follow existing rules that allow families of mixed immigration status to live in subsidized housing, so long as at least one household member is a legal resident. In those cases, the subsidies are prorated based on the number of eligible members of the family.

But Scott Turner, the former pro football player whom President Trump picked to lead HUD, said in a fiery statement peppered with references to “illegal aliens” and “fraudsters” that his department would now move forward with a “zero tolerance” policy aimed at ejecting all undocumented immigrants, who he said were “riding the coattails of American taxpayers.”

The move was a return to a policy, pushed by immigration hard-liners like Stephen Miller, that was first proposed in 2019, in Mr. Trump’s first term. Officials had said it was necessary to cut down on long waiting lists for public housing. The department’s statement gave similar reasoning on Thursday, writing that “HUD resources serve only a quarter of eligible households in need.” (The Trump administration issued plans in November to drastically slash support for long-term housing programs.)

The 2019 proposal faced stiff opposition from landlords and local officials, who said that it would displace some of their most reliable tenants and add major financial strains to an already cash-strapped system. Undocumented immigrants, they said, generally pay rent on time, in part out of fear of drawing attention and referrals to law enforcement.

According to a HUD analysis in 2019, more than 108,000 people receiving housing benefits were in a household with at least one undocumented immigrant. Because many of those immigrants have children who are U.S. citizens or legal residents, HUD estimated at the time that as many as 55,000 children who were in the country legally would have been displaced from public housing under the policy. There are more than 2.2 million residents in public housing nationwide.

The HUD statement on Thursday characterized the current rule allowing mixed-status families to live together with prorated benefits as a “roommate loophole.” The statement was headlined: “Illegals, Ineligibles, and Fraudsters: Pack Your Bags,” accompanied by emojis.

Chris Cameron is a Times reporter covering Washington, focusing on breaking news and the Trump administration.

The post HUD Revives First-Term Trump Proposal to Eject Undocumented Immigrants from Public Housing appeared first on New York Times.

New Mexico legislators launch investigation into Jeffrey Epstein’s secluded ranch
News

New Mexico reopens investigation into alleged illegal activity at Epstein’s former Zorro Ranch

by Los Angeles Times
February 20, 2026

ALBUQUERQUE — New Mexico’s attorney general has reopened an investigation into allegations of illegal activity at Jeffrey Epstein ’s former Zorro Ranch. ...

Read more
News

Trump Says He Will Release Files on Aliens and U.F.O.s

February 20, 2026
News

Tesla is dropping a bargain version of the Cybertruck

February 20, 2026
News

Jacob Bridgeman, Rory McIlroy have clubhouse lead at rain-hampered Genesis Invitational

February 20, 2026
News

Fox News Host Gives Trump Epic Epstein Files Ultimatum

February 20, 2026
D.C. protesters say they were attacked by guards of Azerbaijani president

D.C. protesters say they were attacked by guards of Azerbaijani president

February 20, 2026
Multiple Victims Had Ties to Ski Resort School Near the Avalanche Site

What We Know About the Victims of the Sierra Nevada Avalanche

February 20, 2026
Jeffrey Epstein’s Ties to CBP Agents Sparked a DOJ Probe

Jeffrey Epstein’s Ties to CBP Agents Sparked a DOJ Probe

February 20, 2026

DNYUZ © 2026

No Result
View All Result

DNYUZ © 2026