DNYUZ
No Result
View All Result
DNYUZ
No Result
View All Result
DNYUZ
Home News

OpenAI blocked from using Cameo name for its AI video features

February 18, 2026
in News
OpenAI blocked from using Cameo name for its AI video features

OpenAI has been temporarily blocked from using the word “Cameo” in a product that allows people to generate videos based on prompts amid a trademark dispute.

Last year, the celebrity video platform Cameo sued OpenAI, alleging that the San Francisco company infringed its trademark. People use Cameo to purchase personalized videos of celebrities as gifts for their friends or loved ones.

Cameo filed the lawsuit after OpenAI introduced a new video feature called “Cameo” that lets people, including celebrities, “create a virtual likeness of themselves.”

In an early win for Cameo, a federal judge in California granted the company’s motion for a preliminary injunction, blocking OpenAI’s use of the name, according to an order filed over the weekend.

The ruling by judge Eumi Kim Lee signals that Cameo is likely to prove that OpenAI infringed on its trademark.

“We have spent nearly a decade building a brand that stands for talent-friendly interactions and genuine connection,” said Cameo co-founder and Chief Executive Steven Galanis. “This ruling is a critical victory not just for our company, but for the integrity of our marketplace and the thousands of talent who trust the Cameo name.”

OpenAI has pushed back against Cameo’s allegations.

“We disagree with the complaint’s assertion that anyone can claim exclusive ownership over the word ‘cameo’, and we look forward to continuing to make our case,” a company spokesperson said in a statement.

The legal battle highlights how artificial intelligence is reshaping the videos of celebrities and high-profile creators, underscoring the backlash against AI-generated content.

Cameo, headquartered in Chicago, raised concerns in its lawsuit that OpenAI’s use of its name will confuse consumers into thinking that OpenAI’s video feature is associated with the celebrity video platform.

That would harm Cameo because the company’s brand would be tied to “AI slop and deepfakes featuring celebrities” when its videos are of real people, according to the order.

Cameo also alleges that OpenAI adopted its marketing strategy by tapping celebrities such as Jake Paul, Mark Cuban, Ricky Berwick and Snoop Dogg to promote its video generator Sora and its new feature. These stars allow users of OpenAI’s Sora to create AI videos featuring the celebrities.

Since Cameo and OpenAI’s videos have included the same celebrities, “the two products may be indistinguishable to the consuming public,” the order stated.

The post OpenAI blocked from using Cameo name for its AI video features appeared first on Los Angeles Times.

The Google Pixel 10a Is Barely Different From the Pixel 9a
News

The Google Pixel 10a Is Barely Different From the Pixel 9a

by Wired
February 18, 2026

Smartphones don’t change dramatically year after year, and that’s never been truer than with the Pixel 10a. Breaking tradition with ...

Read more
News

Elon Musk’s xAI Gets $3 Billion Investment From Saudi-Backed A.I. Firm

February 18, 2026
News

Why Eddie Murphy Killed Off One of His Most Popular ‘Saturday Night Live’ Characters

February 18, 2026
News

Dem Rakes in Millions After ‘Attempted Censorship’ of Colbert Interview

February 18, 2026
News

Did Chris Rock and Steve Buscemi Audition for ‘Seinfeld’?

February 18, 2026
Why Berkshire Hathaway’s New York Times bet is a fitting end to the Warren Buffett era

Why Berkshire Hathaway’s New York Times bet is a fitting end to the Warren Buffett era

February 18, 2026
Ousted South Korean president faces death penalty in insurrection case

Ousted South Korean president faces death penalty in insurrection case

February 18, 2026
Trump enemy hits out at admin claim: ‘ICE had the exact opposite effect’

Trump enemy hits out at admin claim: ‘ICE had the exact opposite effect’

February 18, 2026

DNYUZ © 2026

No Result
View All Result

DNYUZ © 2026