DNYUZ
No Result
View All Result
DNYUZ
No Result
View All Result
DNYUZ
Home News

U.S. Sends Cubans to Naval Station at Guantánamo Bay

December 16, 2025
in News
U.S. Sends Cubans to Naval Station at Guantánamo Bay

The United States has transferred 22 Cuban migrants to its Navy base at Guantánamo Bay, Cuba, people familiar with the matter said, repopulating its detention site with men it intends to deport for the first time in two months.

The men, who arrived at the base this week, are believed to be the first Cuban citizens sent here since January, when the Trump administration set up a holding center for migrants designated for removal from the United States.

In total, Immigration and Customs Enforcement has held about 730 men at the base, most from Latin American countries, including El Salvador, Guatemala and Venezuela.

On Monday, ICE referred questions about the latest detainees and their possible fates to the larger Homeland Security Department, which did not provide details, including whether or how the men would be returned to the custody of the Cuban government.

On rare occasions the United States has repatriated Cuban citizens through a gate at the fence line that separates the two sides, and is guarded by a Cuban military force and minefield.

All the previous immigration detainees held this year were moved in and out on either U.S. chartered aircraft or military cargo planes.

The 22 men arrived on an ICE air charter from Louisiana on Sunday.

The latest arrivals included five men who had been deemed “high-threat illegal aliens,” according to a Defense Department official who gave details on the operation on the condition of anonymity as only ICE and homeland security officials are authorized to discuss it. Detainees who have been determined to be high risk are typically held at a prison that formerly housed suspected Al Qaeda members who had been captured overseas in the war against terrorism.

The remaining Cuban men were to be held at a dormitory-style holding site that has been used for years to shelter migrants seeking asylum from Caribbean nations.

The detention complex had been empty since mid-October, when the United States sent 18 men to El Salvador and Guatemala. Later that month, the base evacuated all nonessential residents, including ICE agents and contractors, back to the mainland ahead of Hurricane Melissa. They returned last month, after cleanup.

The weekend transfer was also the first since a federal judge in Washington ruled that the Trump administration exceeded its authority in holding migrants designated for deportation at the base.

Tricia McLaughlin, a Homeland Security spokeswoman, indicated that the agency planned to appeal. “We look forward to a higher court’s vindication of our use of this facility to keep criminals off American streets,” she told The Associated Press this month.

In the 1990s, the U.S. military held tens of thousands of Cubans at Guantánamo in sprawling tent camps that overwhelmed the base. Those Cubans had never reached the United States. They were instead intercepted at sea and housed at the base in what the military cast as a humanitarian relief operation that eventually permitted many of them entry into the United States.

In recent years, Cubans interdicted at sea have mostly been held on U.S. Coast Guard cutters and repatriated in cooperation with the Cuban government.

Carol Rosenberg reports on the wartime prison and court at Guantánamo Bay. She has been covering the topic since the first detainees were brought to the U.S. base in 2002.

The post U.S. Sends Cubans to Naval Station at Guantánamo Bay appeared first on New York Times.

What can toughen Louisiana coast against worsening storms? Four years and 30,000 trees
News

What can toughen Louisiana coast against worsening storms? Four years and 30,000 trees

by Los Angeles Times
February 19, 2026

MERAUX, La. — Across the calm waters behind a pumping station near Lake Borgne, hundreds of saplings stand out in the mist, ...

Read more
News

New DHS memo outlines plan to detain refugees for further vetting

February 19, 2026
Media

‘60 Minutes’ Staff Hit With Another Major Change

February 19, 2026
News

GOP rep hit with explosive accusations from widower after wife’s horrific suicide

February 19, 2026
News

Prosecutor lobs a subtle threat at Trump’s ICE agents over Minneapolis raid

February 19, 2026
Transportation Department says more than 550 driving schools must close over safety failures

Transportation Department says more than 550 driving schools must close over safety failures

February 19, 2026
Leighton Meester defends awkward exchange with Ariana Grande at Critics Choice Awards

Leighton Meester defends awkward exchange with Ariana Grande at Critics Choice Awards

February 19, 2026
Higher IQ leads to lower conservatism in men in decades-long study

Higher IQ leads to lower conservatism in men in decades-long study

February 19, 2026

DNYUZ © 2026

No Result
View All Result

DNYUZ © 2026