DNYUZ
No Result
View All Result
DNYUZ
No Result
View All Result
DNYUZ
Home News

Kushner’s Firm Pulls Out of Trump-Branded Hotel Deal in Serbia

December 16, 2025
in News
Kushner’s Firm Pulls Out of Trump-Branded Hotel Deal in Serbia

The private equity firm headed by Jared Kushner, President Trump’s son-in-law, said on Monday that Mr. Kushner was withdrawing from a planned Trump-branded real estate deal in Serbia.

The announcement came hours after Serbian prosecutors charged four senior government officials there with corruption in connection with the half-billion-dollar project.

The decision dooms a deal that had exemplified the willingness of foreign governments to bend over backward to further the financial interests of Mr. Trump’s family. President Aleksandar Vucic of Serbia, who has been seeking Mr. Trump’s help all year on economic issues, has fiercely championed the proposed complex in downtown Belgrade, the capital.

A cabinet minister was the highest-ranking official charged. He, one of his aides and two officials who had to approve the project were all charged with abuse of power and forgery.

While members of the Trump family have pursued a number of foreign deals this year, the Serbian project stood out because it triggered a foreign investigation into allegations of corruption. Mr. Vucic has denied any government impropriety with the project.

A spokesman for Affinity Partners, Mr. Kushner’s firm, said the company was pulling out because “meaningful projects should unite rather than divide and out of respect for the people of Serbia and the city of Belgrade.” The decision was reported earlier by The Wall Street Journal.

Affinity Partners, which is largely financed by foreign sovereign wealth funds, has recently drawn attention for helping Paramount mount a hostile bid to buy Warner Bros. Discovery. Warner’s holdings include CNN. The Trump administration will need to approve of any such deal.

The Serbian project, in the works for years, involved both Mr. Kushner and the Trump Organization, run by the president’s sons Eric and Donald Trump Jr. It would have replaced bombed-out buildings near the Serbian government’s ornate headquarters with apartments and a luxury hotel bearing the Trump name.

Although the structures to be torn down were heavily damaged, Serbian law had designated them as a cultural asset and a national icon to the Serbians’ suffering during the NATO bombing of Belgrade in 1999.

Just days after Mr. Trump’s election last year, Serbian officials began to override those protections. That triggered not just a public outcry, but also resignations by at least two officials involved in handling approvals for development. Another former official said Serbian intelligence agents “strongly advised” her not to object to the development.

Trump Administration: Live Updates

Updated Dec. 15, 2025, 7:49 p.m. ET

  • Trump files $10 billion suit against the BBC over the editing of a documentary.
  • The Trump administration is starting a program to increase the government’s tech worker ranks.
  • Trump seizes on Reiner’s death to attack him.

About six months ago, a top lawyer for Mr. Kushner’s firm flew to Belgrade to assess the situation. Serbian officials told him then that the controversy boiled down to a simple administrative error, according to a person familiar with those discussions.

While Mr. Vucic has pushed the development as a way to attract more tourists and revenue to the nation’s capital, his critics asserted that he was subverting Serbian law to please the White House.

“Knowing Trump’s transactional approach, it was his bet this would appeal to him,” Dragan Jonic, an opposition-party member of Serbia’s Parliament, said in an interview on Monday.

Last month, Parliament approved a law to override the cultural heritage protections of the site. It was drafted under a constitutional procedure that experts said was intended for use only in extreme circumstances.

In an interview with The New York Times in November, Mr. Vucic said the government needed to move ahead despite the allegations that a key document had been forged.

“We were bombed in 1999 — it’s 26 years,” he said. “Now, we found an opportunity and a good investor that will be ready to pay a huge amount of money.”

In its statement, the prosecutors’ office said it was continuing to investigate other individuals.

Sharon LaFraniere is an investigative reporter focusing on the Trump administration.

The post Kushner’s Firm Pulls Out of Trump-Branded Hotel Deal in Serbia appeared first on New York Times.

I’m 40 and have similar health issues as my 95-year-old grandmother. I look to her for strength.
News

I’m 40 and have similar health issues as my 95-year-old grandmother. I look to her for strength.

by Business Insider
February 18, 2026

The author and her superager grandmother have similar health issues. Courtesy of Kristina KasparianMy grandmother is 95 years old, and ...

Read more
News

Shutdowns Don’t Usually Stop Disaster Work. FEMA Just Made It Harder.

February 18, 2026
News

‘Horrific dangers’ of Trump’s mental decline revealed by neuroscientist: ‘Just gets worse’

February 18, 2026
News

Officials Violated More than 50 Court Orders in New Jersey, Justice Dept. Tells Judge

February 18, 2026
News

‘Commercial-grade’ fireworks show is latest stunt set on 6th Street Bridge, spread on social

February 18, 2026
Skiers paid $1,165 to join a guided tour that left 8 dead and 1 missing in a California avalanche

Skiers paid $1,165 to join a guided tour that left 8 dead and 1 missing in a California avalanche

February 18, 2026
At a broken Kennedy Center, the National Symphony begins a new journey

Hegseth invited Christian nationalist Doug Wilson to preach at Pentagon

February 18, 2026
MAGA Goon Defends Crazed TV Censorship Effort to Silence Dems

MAGA Goon Defends Crazed TV Control Effort to Silence Dems

February 18, 2026

DNYUZ © 2026

No Result
View All Result

DNYUZ © 2026