DNYUZ
No Result
View All Result
DNYUZ
No Result
View All Result
DNYUZ
Home News

Ford Will Take $19.5 Billion Hit as It Rolls Back E.V. Plans

December 15, 2025
in News
Ford Will Take $19.5 Billion Hit as It Rolls Back E.V. Plans

Ford Motor said Monday it would scale back plans to produce electric vehicles and take a $19.5 billion hit to its profit to cover the costs of a major change in strategy.

The announcement amounted to an admission by Ford that it had overestimated demand for battery-powered vehicles and underestimated the staying power of vehicles powered by gasoline and diesel.

The move was also the result of a reversal in government policies since President Trump took office in January. His administration has slashed government incentives for electric vehicles while promoting fossil fuels.

Ford executives said the changes announced Monday would affect factories in several states.

A new factory in Tennessee that had been expected to produce an electric pickup truck will instead produce a gasoline model, Ford said. The company will cancel plans for an electric commercial van and instead build new gasoline and hybrid models in Iowa.

And the F-150 Lightning, an electric version of Ford’s popular pickup manufactured in Michigan, will no longer be a pure electric vehicle. Instead, it will be equipped with an auxiliary gasoline-fueled generator that can recharge its battery when it has been depleted, Ford said.

Ford said that it remained committed to building a medium electric pickup in Kentucky that will cost around $30,000, or about as much as similar gasoline-powered vehicles. The technology for the pickup can also be used for other kinds of vehicles.

Still, the announcement represents a significant retreat by Ford on pure electric vehicles, at least in the short term.

Jim Farley, the chief executive of Ford, insisted that the company would still be able to compete with Chinese automakers whose well-regarded electric vehicles are quickly gaining market share in Asia, Europe and Latin America. They are in effect barred from the United States by tariffs, but auto executives acknowledge those vehicles or the technology in them cannot be kept out forever.

“They don’t know about truck customers in the U.S. We do,” Mr. Farley said in an interview Monday, referring to Chinese automakers.

The changes announced Monday will allow Ford to be more profitable and competitive, he said. The planned medium pickup will help Ford defend against low-cost Chinese models, he added.

“I think this makes our company much more China-proof,” Mr. Farley said

Despite the big financial hit, Ford expects to still report a profit before interest and taxes of around $7 billion for 2025, the company said. Ford will report a loss in the fourth quarter, when most of the $19.5 billion will be booked.

Jack Ewing covers the auto industry for The Times, with an emphasis on electric vehicles.

The post Ford Will Take $19.5 Billion Hit as It Rolls Back E.V. Plans appeared first on New York Times.

Read Netflix’s legal letter to ByteDance over a viral AI video tool it calls a ‘high-speed piracy engine’
News

Read Netflix’s legal letter to ByteDance over a viral AI video tool it calls a ‘high-speed piracy engine’

by Business Insider
February 18, 2026

ByteDance's new AI-powered video tool has created clips resembling characters like Will Byers from Netflix's "Stranger Things." Courtesy of Netflix ...

Read more
News

Workplace Inspections by OSHA Dropped Over a Six-Month Period of 2025

February 18, 2026
News

Scientists have found another alarming pattern in wildfires

February 18, 2026
News

The MAHA Coalition Is Falling Apart

February 18, 2026
News

‘Catholic’ Karoline Leavitt Insults Vatican on First Day of Lent

February 18, 2026
6 Versions of ‘Wuthering Heights,’ 6 Very Different Depictions of Passion

6 Versions of ‘Wuthering Heights,’ 6 Very Different Depictions of Passion

February 18, 2026
‘Absolutely sickening’: Analyst gobsmacked as Karoline Leavitt exposes Trump plot

‘Absolutely sickening’: Analyst gobsmacked as Karoline Leavitt exposes Trump plot

February 18, 2026
The Country Betting on Immigrants

The Country Betting on Immigrants

February 18, 2026

DNYUZ © 2026

No Result
View All Result

DNYUZ © 2026