DNYUZ
No Result
View All Result
DNYUZ
No Result
View All Result
DNYUZ
Home News

One Hundred Schoolchildren Released After Kidnapping in Nigeria

December 8, 2025
in News
One Hundred Schoolchildren Released After Kidnapping in Nigeria

One hundred children who were abducted from a Catholic school in northwestern Nigeria last month have been released, government and church officials said on Monday, but it is still unclear when the children will be reunited with their families.

The released abductees were among more than 260 mainly primary and nursery school children, some as young as 5 years old, who were kidnapped by armed men from a Catholic boarding school in Papiri, a town in Niger State, on Nov. 21. Twelve staff members at the school were also kidnapped.

Daniel Atori, an aide to Bishop Bulus Yohanna, the archbishop for the diocese where the school is, said the children were released on Sunday.

But it was not immediately clear how they were freed or if anyone had been arrested in connection with the kidnappings. Victims of kidnappings in Nigeria are often released in exchange for ransom, but it is not clear whether the government had paid it in this case.

The mass abduction was part of recent spate of kidnappings that human rights groups say reflects worsening insecurity in Nigeria and contributes to the roughly 19 million out-of-school children in the country, among the highest numbers in the world.

Mr. Atori said the released children would first be handed over to the local governor, who may keep them for a few days “in an observatory arrangement for psychosocial treatment.” After that, Mr. Atori said, the children will be transferred to Bishop Yohanna, who oversees the school, before being returned to their families.

At least 50 of the children ran away and hid when gunmen stormed the school but returned a few days later, according to school authorities. About 165 schoolchildren and staff remain captive after Sunday’s release.

The recent abductions come as Nigeria faces intense scrutiny from the U.S. over widespread killings by a range of armed groups and insurgents. President Donald Trump last month amplified allegations of a genocide against Christians in Nigeria, threatening possible U.S. military action in Africa’s most populous nation.

But kidnappings and terror attacks in Nigeria are common, with more than 8,000 people killed this year alone, and there is no clear evidence to suggest Christians are attacked any more frequently than Muslims.

The kidnappings at the Catholic school occurred just four days after 24 Muslim girls were abducted in Kebbi State, another area of northwestern Nigeria. Two of those girls later escaped, and the rest were eventually released.

Some victims of previous kidnappings have not been heard from again. In 2014, the Boko Haram terrorist group abducted almost 300 girls from a school dormitory in Chibok, in the northeast of the country, in one of the best known mass abductions. Some of the students escaped and others were released, but many remain in captivity.

Saikou Jammeh is a reporter and researcher for The Times based in Dakar, Senegal.

The post One Hundred Schoolchildren Released After Kidnapping in Nigeria appeared first on New York Times.

Trump Loses It Over ‘Boondoggle’ in Unhinged Holiday Tirade
News

Trump Loses It Over ‘Boondoggle’ in Unhinged Holiday Tirade

by The Daily Beast
February 16, 2026

Donald Trump has embarked on a wild Presidents’ Day rant to blast America’s most urgent infrastructure project as as a ...

Read more
News

Iran Holds Exercises in Strait of Hormuz After Trump Threatens Military Action

February 16, 2026
News

Watch Robert Duvall’s final video and sweet message to loved ones just months before death at 95

February 16, 2026
News

Why the biggest campaign buzzword ‘tapped into a broader political hunger’

February 16, 2026
News

Dee Snider Clarifies Rumors About His Twisted Sister Retirement: ‘I’m Not Dying!’

February 16, 2026
Texas Rapper That Mexican OT Says His Bull-Fighting Abilities Translate to All Aspects of Life, Music Included (Exclusive)

Texas Rapper That Mexican OT Says His Bull-Fighting Abilities Translate to All Aspects of Life, Music Included (Exclusive)

February 16, 2026
Rubio Stresses Trump’s Support for Leader of Hungary Before Tight Elections

Rubio Stresses Trump’s Support for Leader of Hungary Before Tight Elections

February 16, 2026
ICE plans for mega-detention facility in red state dealt a massive blow

ICE plans for mega-detention facility in red state dealt a massive blow

February 16, 2026

DNYUZ © 2026

No Result
View All Result

DNYUZ © 2026