DNYUZ
No Result
View All Result
DNYUZ
No Result
View All Result
DNYUZ
Home News

Immigrants ‘Plucked Out’ of Oath Ceremony Lines After Trump Order

December 8, 2025
in News, Politics
Immigrants ‘Plucked Out’ of Oath Ceremony Lines After Trump Order

Immigrants who are one step away from American citizenship have suddenly found themselves in limbo after President Donald Trump ordered a fresh immigration crackdown.

All over the country, the Trump administration has been canceling naturalization ceremonies of people from certain countries in the wake of the murder of a National Guardsman in Washington, D.C., according to reports by WGBH and The New York Times.

Project Citizenship, a nonprofit that works with immigrants in Massachusetts and New England, said that this month alone, 21 clients have received notices about the cancellation of their oath ceremonies, the last step in the lengthy process of becoming a U.S. citizen.

NEW YORK, NEW YORK - OCTOBER 15: People celebrate outside of Jacob K. Javitz Federal Building after attending their Naturalization ceremony on October 15, 2025 in New York City. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) agents and other federal agencies continue to make detainments in immigration courts as people attend their court hearings despite a government shutdown thats going on it's fourtheenth day. (Photo by Michael M. Santiago/Getty Images)
Two people celebrate after their naturalization ceremony in New York City. Elsewhere in the U.S., immigrants have received cancellation notices after a Trump administration crackdown. Getty Images

“One of our clients said that she had gone to her oath ceremony because she hadn’t received the cancellation notice in time,” Project Citizenship executive director Gail Breslow told WGBH. “She showed up as scheduled, and when she arrived, officers were asking everyone what country they were from, and if they said a certain country, they were told to step out of line and that their oath ceremonies were canceled.”

“People are devastated and they’re frightened,” she added. “People were plucked out of line. They didn’t cancel the whole ceremony.”

Last month, Trump intensified scrutiny of people from 19 countries deemed to be “of concern” after 29-year-old Rahmanullah Lakanwal—an Afghan immigrant granted asylum in April under the current administration—was identified as the suspect in the shooting of two National Guardsmen in D.C., which killed Sarah Beckstrom, 20, and injured Andrew Wolfe, 24.

The countries on that list include Afghanistan, Burma, Chad, the Republic of the Congo, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Haiti, Iran, Libya, Somalia, Sudan, Yemen, Cuba, Burundi, Laos, Sierra Leone, Togo, Turkmenistan, and Venezuela.

USCIS Director Joseph Edlow vowed in a statement after the D.C. shooting to “ensure that every alien is vetted and screened to the maximum degree possible.”

“Effective immediately, I am issuing new policy guidance that authorizes USCIS officers to consider country-specific factors as significant negative factors when reviewing immigration requests,” he said. “American lives come first.”

The USCIS chief has ordered staff to consider "country-specific factors" when reviewing immigration requests.
The USCIS chief has ordered staff to consider “country-specific factors” when reviewing immigration requests. Joseph Edlow on X

An internal guidance at the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services obtained by CBS News instructed staff to “stop final adjudication on all cases,” including “all form types and making any final decisions (approvals, denials) as well as completing any oath ceremonies.”

USCIS and its parent agency, the Department of Homeland Security, did not immediately return a request for comment on Sunday. The Daily Beast has also reached out to the White House for comment.

The order halting naturalization ceremonies has stirred widespread confusion among immigrants and their lawyers, who are hard-pressed to provide answers.

“There is no time frame—nobody knows how long this is going to be,” immigration lawyer Teresa Coles-Davila told The Times. “Literally, no one knows what is happening.”

Rosanna, a student in Texas who was born in Libya and holds Canadian citizenship, told the outlet that she was looking forward to receiving an email setting the date for her oath ceremony but instead got a cancellation notice.

“It’s definitely disappointing. Having come from a third-world country, it’s just never-ending disappointment,” she said. “I definitely feel unwelcome here.”

The post Immigrants ‘Plucked Out’ of Oath Ceremony Lines After Trump Order appeared first on The Daily Beast.

Marco Rubio Is Failing Western Civ
News

Marco Rubio Is Failing Western Civ

by New York Times
February 18, 2026

Americans of the Revolutionary generation did not think of themselves as direct heirs to Western civilization, a term that wouldn’t ...

Read more
News

Tucker Carlson detained in Israel after taking MAGA official up on debate offer: report

February 18, 2026
News

The Hockey Rivalry That’s More Than Heated

February 18, 2026
News

6 of the Best Use of Samples in 1990s Hip-Hop

February 18, 2026
News

Keystone Kash Makes Wild Claim About Trump’s Intel Briefings

February 18, 2026
Corruption Is Rampant. You Can Stop It.

One Man Stole $660 Million. He’ll Never Pay It Back.

February 18, 2026
Disney Adds Devon Sawa to Supernatural Series ‘Coven Academy’

Disney Adds Devon Sawa to Supernatural Series ‘Coven Academy’

February 18, 2026
White House economic adviser says Fed researchers should be punished

White House economic adviser says Fed researchers should be punished

February 18, 2026

DNYUZ © 2026

No Result
View All Result

DNYUZ © 2026